New F-150 or Corvette

bobert

Established Member
Hi guys, I've been looking to get into a new car lately and have been struggling to make a decision. I'm just looking for some opinions and advice from the members here. I'm currently looking at either a 2017 F-150 or a C5 Z06/C6 Z06/C7 Z51 Corvette. My current cars are a 2011 Mustang GT (lightly modded), 2001 Miata (lightly modded), and 1999 Explorer (v8 & AWD). I'm looking to get something a little different from what I already own. If I get the Corvette I would be adding a fourth car to my garage, but I would be looking into trading in the Explorer for the F-150. The Explorer currently runs fine but has a small leak in the seal between the transmission and transfer case, just a couple of drops overnight and I'm too lazy to fix it. I was considering using the current trade in bonus from Ford to just get rid of it since it is the oldest/highest mileage and I'm not sure how much longer it will last. Also just to include some background, I live in SoCal and am single/no kids. I rarely ever NEED a truck since I can daily drive all of my cars. It's just nice to have something comfortable to drive once in a while and occasionally haul large items which my Explorer is certainly capable of doing. I'm also open to any other suggestions. The last option is to just not get anything and save the money, but where's the fun in that?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
The C6 Z06 and C7 Z51 has the dry sump oiling system so expect to pay dearly for oil changes around the $125 to 150 mark. It's not for the faint of heart or even people with a general understanding of auto maintenance.

You have to drain the oil out of the two drain plugs underneath, then you only fill the oil half way wait I think 15 minutes then fill it the rest of the way. You can not over or under fill it when doing this you need to be spot on! It's just simpler to let the dealership handle it and not those 15 minute oil and lube places.

On the C6 and C7 it'll come down to what you like more the power and slightly more exclusivity for the C6 Z06 or better interior and comfort with the Z51.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
You already have sports cars, get yourself a nice new truck. I can tell you I like driving my cars on the weekends or whenever, but my truck is a nice change for everyday stuff. You have more options you don't think about often either like trips to the hardware store, inclimate weather, ect... High ground clearance and plush inside like a Cadillac.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
FX4 SuperCrew.....the only debate is Ecoboost or 5.0....i chose 5.0.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I absolutely love my '16 Edge Sport. Decent power. Nice comfort. Good utility and just a tad smaller than the Explorer (no 3rd row seat). I would recommend the Edge over the F-150 unless you need the (open) rear bed of a truck. You already have the lightly modded '11 GT and the Miata for sporting fun on the roads. Do you really want a 2-seat Vette? And you'd be losing your '99 Explorer on a trade. JMO.

Rct851

Established Member
I'd say F150. I'm in a mirror situation. No kids, girlfriend but doesn't live with me. I have a lightly modded 5.0 that's kinda fun but I'm over it and want something new. I was set on a c7 but I waited so long that the shine has even worn off of those. I feel like it's a little more than a lateral move. Basically I've realized at this point the only sports cars I care to have are a hair out of my price range. Gen5 viper, 911, etc. "special cars".

Now to decide if the 2018 f150 is worth waiting a few more months and paying $50,000+ or finding 2015-2017 CPO for $40,000ish.

If I can piggy back on the thread...would y'all shy away from a 60k mile cpo truck with the 3.5eco? Or is that mileage nothing?

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
If it where me and I got the Vette, it would be a to many toys in the toy box situation. You should go drive a new F150 it'll be a night and day difference from your 99 explorer

bobert

Established Member
Now to decide if the 2018 f150 is worth waiting a few more months and paying $50,000+ or finding 2015-2017 CPO for $40,000ish.

If I can piggy back on the thread...would y'all shy away from a 60k mile cpo truck with the 3.5eco? Or is that mileage nothing?
From what I've been seeing in my area CPO doesn't make much sense. Since the 2018s are starting to hit the lots most dealers have been taking large discounts off 2017s. Part of the reason I even started looking more closely at the F150 was because I got a pretty good offer from the dealer and I like the 2017 grill over the 2018. I guess I'll have to take a trip to the dealer to check it out. Seems the opinions here are kind of split as well which doesn't help my situation.

fangstang

Established Member
How about getting rid of all your cars and getting a new truck and a corvette.

bobert

Established Member
How about getting rid of all your cars and getting a new truck and a corvette.
The Mustang still has a special place in my heart because that was the car I wanted for years before I bought it. The Miata is not really worth enough to make any financial impact on my decision. My plan is to make it into a track/autocross car. Space isn't really an issue right now. My main concern with the corvette is kind of what others had mentioned, it may just sit there for long periods of time since there's too many toys.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
The logical decision is to trade your current truck in for a new truck. You'll preserve your garage space and maintain the utility that only a truck can provide.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Unless you're getting a 2017 3.5 ecoboost F-150, a 2018 is well worth the wait. I believe the 2017 3.5 ecoboost already has the 10 speed, and there is no performance update for 2018. Every other model gets the 10 speed and big updates, except the base NA v6.

Users who are viewing this thread