New engine is almost in, how long before I can dyno it?

robb

the first time you drive it; 1) get up to temp. 2) run it at 80%+ through the gears(the more cyl.pres. you can create very early--25 miles-- in the break-in period, the better). 3) do this several times on your first drive with short periods between hard runs for cool down. 4) don't "baby" it and have fun. Rob

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Since this is a brand new engine vs. one done and tested at the factory, I would advise paying a bit more attention to keeping the revs under 4,000 for the first 500 miles -- with maybe the occasional burst to 5,500 or so. LOL! That's just what I would do. As far as the dyno, since your engine is going to go to redline I would wait until 1,200 - 2,000 miles to allow to really get broken in. If you dyno it at, say, 200 miles you're not going to get as good a set of numbers as when you might do it at 1,500 miles. This is all my understanding based on what others have posted here.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Cool. Good to hear about the new engine. Was it replaced under warrenty. Last I remember they were claiming it was damaged from the car being lowered or something like that.

I'd probably drive it for a month or so prior to the dyno run. Not that it would hurt anything, just that a car with a few thousand miles generally puts down more hp/tq than a brand new one.

:beer:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
I opened mine up at 300. Through the gears by 1000. Running A-OK...

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
Fakesnake,

bursts of WOT from 1500 to 4000 RPM with engine temps in the midrange (not hot, not cold) are good for seating the rings. Keep the RPM below 5000 for the first 500 miles, then start driving it how you want to drive it the rest of your life.

Have fun!

fakesnake.com

Established Member
Insurance is paying for most of it.

I put 500-1000 miles a week on my car so it won't take long. Here's a pic of new engine. They dropped the k member and all.
I should have taken a pic from the other side so you could of seen what the Bassani headers look like. He mounted the other side already. The tech wasn't too pleased with having to take them apart and is requesting another 4-6 hours in labor from me because of it.

engine.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread