New Droid Maxx

Boosted T-4

GTFD
Established Member
I have been looking for a phone upgrade for awhile and haven't decided on which phone yet. The new Droid looks awesome. The only thing I don't like is you can't use an SD card with it.

What are your thoughts on it?

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I would recommend the Droid DNA if you don't want to shell out any money. It's free from Best Buy right now. I absolutely love mine and it has great battery life, plus it is faster at switching applications compared to my wife's S4.

Otherwise, I would say the Droid Maxx would be a great phone if it's anything like my DNA.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I have the Droid HD Maxx, is it the same thing? LOL I have no idea.

l337

Established Member
I don't think the sans SD slot is a big deal. So much stuff now is online (cloud) and accessible remotely it's just not that big of a deal unless you have coverage issues in your area.

I've been on the Galaxy Nexus (16GB I think) now for quite some time. They don't sell it anymore. I've had many Android phones (8 or so in the past 3 years due to the job I'm in) and I've all but decided that anything I use personally will have stock Android on it.

My .02

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I don't think the sans SD slot is a big deal. So much stuff now is online (cloud) and accessible remotely it's just not that big of a deal unless you have coverage issues in your area.

I've been on the Galaxy Nexus (16GB I think) now for quite some time. They don't sell it anymore. I've had many Android phones (8 or so in the past 3 years due to the job I'm in) and I've all but decided that anything I use personally will have stock Android on it.

My .02
Not everyone has unlimited data, just on streaming music, I wasted about 3GB. Cloud willl NEVER beat onboard space, EVER. You have downloads speeds to vary, waste battery quicker, can lose signal or be interrupted, or cap out quickly. I have a 32GB SD card on top off my 8GB in the phone, total space left, 10GB. 1080P vids and high res pics take off a bunch of space.

O.P if you root the phone or wanna mod it, I would stay far away from Moto. They have locked boot loaders. If you don't know what im talking about, get it. Its a very nice phone and has great battery. I myself am waiting for the HTC One, still has a lot of stuff that I wanna try out and IMO looks to be the best Android phone right now.

LaFlavor

Established Member
I would hold out for one more week. The new Motorola, Moto X, will be announced on Thursday, and it looks like it might be pretty interesting.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
I have a regular droid razr maxx. Great phone. They battery life is a big factor. I'd rather have a sd slot though. I have around 300+ songs on my phone right now on the sd card. I lost my damn unlimited data when I upgraded phones last year. I wish I wouldve just paid full price for the phone. If you have it NEVER let them take it from you for a discounted upgrade.

Boosted T-4

GTFD
Established Member
I would hold out for one more week. The new Motorola, Moto X, will be announced on Thursday, and it looks like it might be pretty interesting.

I am almost certain that this is the Moto X. It doesn't have the Moto X name here in North America though.

The phone I am talking about is not currently out.

Boosted T-4

GTFD
Established Member
I am still trying to decide between the Droid and the S4. The S4 is pretty much better in every way but the battery part.

I can't stand having to charge my phone so much. It is basically a land line, lol.

Boosted T-4

GTFD
Established Member
I guess I was wrong, the Moto X is completely different than the three Droids that can be ordered now.

I guess I will wait and see what that phone has to offer.

l337

Established Member
Not everyone has unlimited data, just on streaming music, I wasted about 3GB. Cloud willl NEVER beat onboard space, EVER. You have downloads speeds to vary, waste battery quicker, can lose signal or be interrupted, or cap out quickly. I have a 32GB SD card on top off my 8GB in the phone, total space left, 10GB. 1080P vids and high res pics take off a bunch of space.

meh ... i used to think it would be a big deal for me as well (data caps of 5GB). Spotty coverage etc...

I've never had an issue however and I consider myself much more involved with my phone than the average person. I do everything under the sun and I'm in an on call state 24/7/365. I deal with tons of IT stuff including router/firewall/*nix configs over VPNs, massive amounts of work email not to mention personal email. I also multitask streaming music, and even piggy back my own media server from my house. Even if I find spotty coverage, there's usually some type of WiFi available in more metro locations (YMMV). Hell, I even have my Nexus 7 talblet mounted in my car and use the hot spot feature on my g-nex and STILL don't break 4GB/mo for both devices combined. My Nexus 7 is 32GB which is more than adequate for my needs.

Perhaps some more info from the OP would have been helpful. Things like .. how often are you're typically plugged in for charging (or near a charger) and what do you plan to do with your phone.

A footnote on rooting. If you plan to hook into your work email, you might want to make sure they don't block rooted devices first. Plenty of MDM stuff out there now can easily detect rooted devices and it'd suck if you planned on buying one particular device with plans to root only to find out later you can't now use it for what you intended.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It does look like a great phone. It gets a bit tough to pick a phone now as there are so many great ones on the market now.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I the maxx hd.. I didnt like it at all besides battery life. The camera was terrible! Cell quality in the power plant wasnt as good as my note 2.
It was very laggy and moto doesnt shell out the updates that quickly.
I have had a note 2 for a good while till i broke mine and "borrowed" a s4 from best buy till my insurance replacement came in..
The s4 had much better reception in the plant than both. Was a better version of touch wis. But had some lag in it. Was on 4.3 so bugs were in it.

But the size was amazing on the s4..it actually fit in my cup holder!

I AM going to hold out and see next iPhone as the ios7 sparked my interest.. And samsung s5 next spring

Boosted T-4

GTFD
Established Member
I don't even have a 4G phone yet, lol.

I just seen an article on Verizon trying to push out the HTC One before the Iphone 5s comes out. I also seen that the Note 3 might possibly be a late September/October release. I might have to wait and find out.

Users who are viewing this thread