New DD / 2023 Subaru

T56LS102

Established Member
So I have never owned a Subaru as I am not gay or a lib buuutt...lol Went to go check out the outback and really liked it, hopefully it will be reliable with no issues as it is a touring model, OMG it has a lot of extra useless stuff (at least for me) digital rearview mirror, front camara, some driver recognition system bs, even has a CD player in the center console!
So far so good, it has the wrx 2.4 turbo engine so decent pickup and go, CVT not too bad. Too bad they don't offer in a 6 speed.
Space and comfort is very impressive for its size, was able to get it for $3300 under MSRP, part of the reason I even got such a high trim level. Anyone on here with Subie experiance? pretty good cars?

***Parked there temporarily to snap pic
20230220_095820.jpg
20230220_095935.jpg
20230220_100036.jpg

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
You'll enjoy it! My in-laws waited 6 months for their '22 Ascent Touring to come in, only to get it totaled less than 3 months later. They then picked up a '22 Toyota Highlander Hybrid and love the MPG, but miss the Subaru. If the Ascent ever comes in Hybrid forum (or EV), they are making the switch.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Subis are excellent DDs. Congratulations on that new Outback. It should serve you well. What color paint is that? Gray?

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a '02 WRX and a '07 RS. They were both pretty good. A bit buzzy on the freeway. A bit low rent around town. The interiors are simple and functional but aren't great, but it lasted intact up to 180K miles. Normal wear on the drive train: normal maintenance per the owners manual using Amsoil, brakes at 90K miles, plugs, timing belt, water pump at 105K miles, radiators at 120K miles, oil leaks at 150K, clutches at 170K miles. Fun to drive (both were 5M) and an ok place to sit. They are pretty simple machines, share lots of parts across their products, and are easy to DIY work on in the garage.

Would I buy another? Maybe, but only with a 6M. The CVT is a soul sucking device, ruining any chance of having fun. They are a little too "buzz car" for me.

Last edited:

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
We’ve owned a ‘19 Ascent Limited for almost a year and a half. It’s not my favorite thing to drive due to the CVT but the wife likes it and it works well as our family hauler.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The Digital Rear View Mirror is one of the most annoying features on new cars. It is just not the same as a real mirror. The camera lens gets dirty easily, the "look" you get is almost a bad 2D version of a real mirror.

mariusvt

Established Member
We’ve owned a ‘19 Ascent Limited for almost a year and a half. It’s not my favorite thing to drive due to the CVT but the wife likes it and it works well as our family hauler.
My wife just bought a 22 ascent limited. She likes it as well. It's a comfy cruiser, not my favorite but it hauls the family well. A bit like driving a sofa down the highway.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
So I have never owned a Subaru as I am not gay or a lib buuutt...lol Went to go check out the outback and really liked it, hopefully it will be reliable with no issues as it is a touring model, OMG it has a lot of extra useless stuff (at least for me) digital rearview mirror, front camara, some driver recognition system bs, even has a CD player in the center console!
So far so good, it has the wrx 2.4 turbo engine so decent pickup and go, CVT not too bad. Too bad they don't offer in a 6 speed.
Space and comfort is very impressive for its size, was able to get it for $3300 under MSRP, part of the reason I even got such a high trim level. Anyone on here with Subie experiance? pretty good cars?

***Parked there temporarily to snap pic
View attachment 1781741View attachment 1781742View attachment 1781743
If you crash it, dibs on the engine. It’ll fit in my GR86.

andymarkv

Established Member
I didn't realize they were offering the turbo 4cly in the outback...is that a fairly recent thing?
I've heard that the subie CVT is fairly responsive in manual mode, using the paddle shifters gives a "geared" feeling

TORQUERULES

Established Member
My millennial wife just had to drive one before she agreed that Mazda was the way to go when I took her to buy her first new car, and while the room and visibility were nice, I found that CVT just too much. I hate CVTs. Glad you like it though. Lots of utility there.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I have a 2021 wrx DD that I bought new and have 15k miles on it now. It's been good so far. Twice I've had to drive in some pretty serious ice and was surprised how well it handled it, solid in the rain too. This is the first AWD vehicle that I've had so I have nothing to compare it to. For what it is i'm pretty happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread