New Coyote Owner-2014 GT

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I just picked up this 2014 GT M6 last week and I'm loving it so far. It's got 34,000 miles and will go up as it is my daily. The car is basically stock besides a K&N drop in filter, Roush axle-backs, and a Steeda shifter base bushing.

So I'm just curious from you guys that daily your 5.0s, what were your first mods? I'd like to add a few touches myself but I'm not sure which direction to go. I would prefer not to take any chances of voiding any warranties until I'm certain the car is solid. Especially with all the MT82 horror stories I've read.

I'd really like some light shed on what you guys have done to keep your MT82 cars reliable. I've read about steel braided lines, MGW shifters, changing to Redline MTL or Amsoil synchromesh fluid, etc etc. Would changing the fluid out in my transmission void it's warranty if something were to happen to it? I can hear a slight whine coming from it that increases with rpms mostly in 3rd and 4th gear but I can only hear it with the radio and ac/heat off, and with the windows up while I'm putt putting. Same thing with my best friends 2013 GT. But it doesn't seem to affect how the transmission shifts which is mostly smooth overall. I really just want it to be as reliable of a daily as I can make it over the next however many years I drive it and occasionally take it to the track.

I was also considering light suspension mods to help it hook better and reduce the wheel hop it has along with some sticky tires.

Any advice?

Untitled by Josh McClure, on Flickr

Last edited:

nate714

Established Member
Suspension and tires will go a long way. If the whine is pretty subtle it's probably just gear noises. Does it sound like it might be coming from behind you? I think that's normal.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
No it sounds like it's coming from the dash area as far as I can tell. Only between 2300-3000 rpms

GBCoyote

Established Member
Twin turbos. No ragrets.

Seriously though, catback exhaust, wheels and tires, lowering it a little.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Haha I wish I could afford to slap a supercharger on it. This is the fastest car I've ever driven so I couldn't imagine even more power.

How do you guys like the MGW short throw? I've had a lot of people on the FB group recommend it but one guy said he regretted it because it just increased cabin noise of the transmission. Is it really worth $470?

nate714

Established Member
In less than a year, you'll probably want more power, especially if you keep reading the awesome things the guys on this forum do with their cars. On stock tires and suspension, any extra power is going to be dangerous but when you get the stock power tamed, you'll want more haha.

5lho

Established Member
I made good use of all the shifter band aids on my last car but, if I did it over, I'd just put an mgw race spec on there and call it done.

Wheelhop control is critical. One if the first mods I did was a Roush upper. Significant improvement and no down side with noise.

Then, I tuned the car. You may be leery to do that but I can't recommend it highly enough. The car feels and drives so much better on a good tune. I slapped a tune on my new car within a month of it rolling off the lot.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Regarding the shifter: the two most successful options people have been using are either the MGW race spec or the Blowfish bracket. Both remove the remote mounting and are helping save synchros.

The other issue with the transmission is clutch related. Braided steel line, better fluid, and an aftermarket clutch seem to be the answer there. That's next on the menu for me.

Vert

Established Member
I guess it all depends on your personality. You can start on appearance or handling or performance. I did lots of mods all at once and I'm doing it all over again.
Since you have muffs, I would consider appearance to set your car apart from others in your area.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
There is a really big difference between actual problems and perceived problems on these cars. Everyone also has a different car. I know of people that love the MGW upgrade, others love the Blowfish upgrade. I have seen where people have both. I also see people post that the MGW causes too much NVH or the Blowfish bracket is too much NVH.
The more modification that you do, the higher your risk of running into problems. Not saying you will but it will increase the chances.
I did the MGW upgrade (really like it) and GT500 mufflers. I also did CAI and left the sound tube because my wife loves the extra noise...
My advice would be drive it, find what you perceive to be weaknesses in the car and address them. Make it your own instead of what everyone else wants you to do. Trust me, the things you love when you first buy the car might just be the things you hate after awhile.....
I will be putting GT500 brakes and Koni Sports on mine this year to address perceived stopping and handling issues that I didn't notice when I first drove the car. Just my opinion, for what it is worth.

greenscobie86

Established Member
My 2013 got shocks/struts/springs/LCAs/PHB and wheels pretty much right away. Then some Roush AB's. As far as the trans: The MT82 on my car is experiencing a 4th gear syncro issue but I think its pretty much luck of the draw with these things.

Congrats on your purchase, I would just enjoy the car and do whichever mods YOU want.

Last edited:

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Buy a twin disk Mcleod before you start modding the other parts of the car.

Having a high reving and modded car is pointless if it can't be shifted.

antcjr

Established Member
My first mods were the normal tint, lowering, wheels, and exhaust. Told myself when I got it I wasn't going to tune it but that was a lie. I ended up adding a CAI and tune shortly after. The tune was a huge difference car feels completely different after that. Then I did shifter bushing and oil catch can. What I plan to do next is SS clutch line, divorce the brake and clutch res, change the trans fluid with some AMS, and possible cat delete and I should be done. Race Red FTW BTW lol

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
My first mod was gt500 mufflers... Then a Paxton kit from Beef. That got old so went twin turbos and never looked back. It's bad ass.

My car is an mt82 car and shifts as good today as when it rolled off the lot brand new. Stock shifter, stock clutch, stock fluid, stock clutch line... You get the idea.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Congrats on the ride!

First mods were CJ Manifold, Mono-Blade TB, Borla S-Types, Custom intake and Cat Deletes.

Then I got a mid-pipe, SS braided clutch line, etc.

Now I've added LCA's as with the power bump I get a small amount of hop and it keeps the car stable. Also got a 1-piece Driveshaft and some Mickey Thompsons, along with an MGW Shifter which is awesome.

Next on my list is a clutch, but, as of right now with my power, I've hit 7,500-7,600 a few times and it never locks me out. I will wait until the clutch gives me trouble, but, I don't see this happening for a while as I only drive my car every so often (2 years old and has 3,300 miles)

Enjoy the car!

Jdm351

Established Member
My first mod was gt500 mufflers... Then a Paxton kit from Beef. That got old so went twin turbos and never looked back. It's bad ass.

My car is an mt82 car and shifts as good today as when it rolled off the lot brand new. Stock shifter, stock clutch, stock fluid, stock clutch line... You get the idea.

my MT82 has been perfect since new. 28k now. Stock shifter, clutch, line and fluid. But I don't exceed 7k.

Users who are viewing this thread