New Cobra, Slow Traps

Grandtuna

Established Member
I've been browsing the forum for awhile and finally bought a 1996 Cobra mustang with only 12,000 miles on it. The car came with a CAI, 62mm throttle body, high flow cats, borla exhaust (assuming cat back), aluminum control arms (not sure if upper or lower or both), 4.10 gears, and some 285mm nitto 555 on tsw rims in the back with regular 245's in the front, and a short throw shifter. Anyway, I decided to take the car to the track this weekend with my dad. In short I'm really disappointed, best time with my dad driving was a 14.34 at 96 mph and a 2.06 60' (I know he was short shifting at about 6500). Best I was able to run was a 14.5 at 98 with a 2.3 60'. Now I'm not really worried about the times as that is more driver than car, but the trap speeds seem really low. It wasnt a great day probably 80 and i think it was 67% humidity (track elevation is 760 ft), but I'm curious as to if this seems normal. I checked the IMRC and it tugged when i revved it up to 3250 but that's about all I know. So basically is my car in dire need of a tune? (If so I've read good things about Tim Barth?) Or is something wrong? I have all the original parts (minus exhaust and control arms) for the car so if it is recommended to change the throttle body I will. Thanks in advance!

SVTCOBRA9629

Established Member
Do you by chance still have the stock throttle body? Been there myself and with ur mods that tb is hurting you more than its helping you.

Grandtuna

Established Member
Yes, luckily I have the stock one. I'll try putting that back on this weekend. Do you think I need a tune? I plan on getting it dyno tuned eventually but would like to wait until I get headers.

SVTCOBRA9629

Established Member
Honestly I don't think you do. My last cobra had c&l cai, steeda pulleys, BBk headers, 410s, ported stock maf. The car put down 283hp and 281tq with no tune.
I am running Bama canned tune in my current setup with Fox lake built b heads, full mach performance pulley setup, jlt cai(new gen),imrc deletes, BBk headers and middle H pipe. Also running 4.56 gears in rear. Not sure of power output yet, but pulls stupid hard down low.

Last edited:

nomoretickets

Established Member
Those times do seem slow. When you get on the gas, does it feel like the car "surges" above 3500 rpm? if not, then you might have IMRC problems. Thats a common culprit for under performing sn95's.

Probably a few driver mods you can make to shave some time as well. RippinSVT FTW with this write up:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-Cobra-Track-Tips-for-Newbies-(sticky-please)

Going forward, seems like you have most of the basics covered, but probably 90% of your mod questions are covered in this thread, also by RippinSVT

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...hile-Basic-Mods-for-96-98-Cobra-sticky-please

Grandtuna

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the responses. The check engine light is not on but when I'm home this weekend I'll throw a scanner on it to check for codes. Basically what it sounds like is I need a driver's mod. I thought these cars trapped 102 stock?

Grandtuna

Established Member
Also I can feel the imrcs tug but without scanning it I'm not sure if they're fully opening. Is it hard to replace the fuel filter? I'm thinking maybe with it having so few miles that maybe that's a bit clogged from sitting?

SVTCOBRA9629

Established Member
No it's very simple, it's located in front of the gas tank on the passenger side above the diff cover. Flat head screw driver on the mount and two plastic clips is all that's in your way.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
I've been browsing the forum for awhile and finally bought a 1996 Cobra mustang with only 12,000 miles on it. The car came with a CAI, 62mm throttle body, high flow cats, borla exhaust (assuming cat back), aluminum control arms (not sure if upper or lower or both), 4.10 gears, and some 285mm nitto 555 on tsw rims in the back with regular 245's in the front, and a short throw shifter. Anyway, I decided to take the car to the track this weekend with my dad. In short I'm really disappointed, best time with my dad driving was a 14.34 at 96 mph and a 2.06 60' (I know he was short shifting at about 6500). Best I was able to run was a 14.5 at 98 with a 2.3 60'. Now I'm not really worried about the times as that is more driver than car, but the trap speeds seem really low. It wasnt a great day probably 80 and i think it was 67% humidity (track elevation is 760 ft), but I'm curious as to if this seems normal. I checked the IMRC and it tugged when i revved it up to 3250 but that's about all I know. So basically is my car in dire need of a tune? (If so I've read good things about Tim Barth?) Or is something wrong? I have all the original parts (minus exhaust and control arms) for the car so if it is recommended to change the throttle body I will. Thanks in advance!

best I could muster was 14.1 at 102mph with a 2.2xx 60 ft (Gulfport, MS)...my car is a 1996 Cobra with JLT RAI, BBK LT Headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and Flowmaster Cat-back Exhaust, Nitto 555 275's

I've since had a friend tune it and it feels much stronger now! Will take it back to the track once I do 4.30s this Fall.

Here's the thread I made with video and time-slips: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1104019-First-time-at-Drag-Strip&highlight=

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
kinda hard to say something is wrong when on the best pass it was being short shifted. Throw on a new fuel filter if you want then have dad make a pass or two running out each gear

might be worth taking a look at the DA and running it through a calculator to get a ballpark on where it might be in better air (after making full on passes)

Grandtuna

Established Member
I was shifting at about redline, and got 98 mph. Just figured that stock they trap about 102 but after reading all the responses it seems that I just need more seat time. With the mods on the car I figured in good weather it'd be a low 13 second car so I was just shocked when I was only getting 14.5's at 96-98. You guys have all been extremely helpful, thanks. Would you guys all agree that the stock throttle body should go back on? If so, I'm gonna sell that and the lowering springs that came with it and get it tuned.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
I was shifting at about redline, and got 98 mph. Just figured that stock they trap about 102 but after reading all the responses it seems that I just need more seat time. With the mods on the car I figured in good weather it'd be a low 13 second car so I was just shocked when I was only getting 14.5's at 96-98. You guys have all been extremely helpful, thanks. Would you guys all agree that the stock throttle body should go back on? If so, I'm gonna sell that and the lowering springs that came with it and get it tuned.

Only thing i've been told is that you should keep the Throttle Body if you are going to tune the car b/c it will help with throttle response...I can't really attest to the truthfulness of that however since I don't have an aftermarket TB.

SVTCOBRA9629

Established Member
I've had about three cobras now swap many parts. Just my .02 cent with his mods the th body is hurting more than helping. They do give a slight better throttle response but in every ad or dyno comparison I have seen hp might raise a couple, but you lose torque.
I have a BBk tb now and it's sitting where it needs to until I go boosted.. In a box!
Look up March 2013 edition 5.0 mustang and super Ford's. They have a dyno bolton comparison beteen 4v cobra, mach 1, and coyote.

Last edited:

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Stock, bbk, accufab... etc. Swapping TB's won't make a difference. The motor doesn't pull enough air N/A for it to become a choke point.

Preload the clutch at the line and shift at 7k. It'll go 102-103. My stock 98 went 100 mph on my very first pass down a drag strip.

-Mark

SVTCOBRA9629

Established Member
I am not stating his tb is the only problem, It's clear he needs to practice launching a 4v cobra it's not easy. I am saying his car will benefit from swapping back over all.. It's a easy swap, reset kam and see what you u think.

Users who are viewing this thread