New Cobra owner needing help

baddboxer

Established Member
Picked up 03 Cobra last week and needing a little help. There is a small chirp/squeal coming from the belt/idler on cold starts. It goes away for the most part once the car is warm, but it returns if I push the car to high RPM's. The seller thought it was the idler just to the right of the blower pulley, but I am thinking it may be the belt, not the pulley. He included a new idler, but it appears to be smaller, and he also threw in a new belt. The belt on the car is 74.5", and the new belt is 74". I have looked at Cobra Bob's belt calculator, but not knowing what size pulleys are on the car makes using that method tough. How do I determine what size pulley's/idlers are on the car? I thought about just trying the 74" belt, and seeing what happens, but I am concerned with damaging something if it's too small. I have called around, and locally, I can't find a Gaterback, or Gates, so I want to make sure when I order online, I order the right size.

Here is the list of what he said was done motor wise if that helps on sizes.

Steigemeier Stage 5 Blower port
Accufab Monoblade Throttle Body
JLT Intake
Front Drive Rebuild
2.76 Pulley
LDC Chicago Head Cooling Mod
Reichard Racing Manual Belt Tensioner
Moto Blue Double Bearing Pulleys
Steeda Pinch Pulley
New Remanufactured Ford Alternator
Lethal Performance IC Tank

20160316_192945_zpshpixk7ug.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help!!

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
My guess he's right - I had the exact same thing and it was my snub idler and I also had a Billetflow at the time. Replaced it with a Metco double bearing when my Whipple went on and all good. I still have the Billetflow and you can spin it by hand and feel it drag. It just needs a new bearing, but I had to switch from a 100mm to a 90mm anyway so went with the Metco. As far as the belts - I ran a 74.5 also with the same 2.76 setup as you. That's what I would stick with if I were you. The belts can be bought at Napa or on Amazon. Napa belt part # is 25-080745. Amazon is Gates K080745.

Edit: The idler you have is a 100mm, the one he gave you is probably a 90mm. I would stay with the 100mm, just replace the bearing, or order a new one and you could color match the blue which looks really good IMO.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
If the idler is bad it will glaze the belt and it'll squeak as well. I'd start with the idler.

baddboxer

Established Member
My guess he's right - I had the exact same thing and it was my snub idler and I also had a Billetflow at the time. Replaced it with a Metco double bearing when my Whipple went on and all good. I still have the Billetflow and you can spin it by hand and feel it drag. It just needs a new bearing, but I had to switch from a 100mm to a 90mm anyway so went with the Metco. As far as the belts - I ran a 74.5 also with the same 2.76 setup as you. That's what I would stick with if I were you. The belts can be bought at Napa or on Amazon. Napa belt part # is 25-080745. Amazon is Gates K080745.

Edit: The idler you have is a 100mm, the one he gave you is probably a 90mm. I would stay with the 100mm, just replace the bearing, or order a new one and you could color match the blue which looks really good IMO.
Thanks for the info! Looked at Metco double ball bearing 100mm idler at Lethal for $89. Where can you pick these up color matched?

baddboxer

Established Member
Also, seller said JLT intake. Tube looks stock to me, but has K&N style filter on it. Car is supposed to be tuned with DYNO sheets at 513hp on 93 pump gas. I am planning to upgrade MAF to SCT 2600 (stock now), and add wideband sensor kit to aeroforce gauges for A/F, then get a new tune from Amazon tuning solutions. Would I benefit from buying new JLT intake? If so, I need to go read up on short ram vs CAI.

baddboxer

Established Member
Stock tube, aftermarket MAF housing. I'd look hard at your tuner choice also, just saying.
So any benefit to purchasing new JLT? Willing to hear input on tuners! Been watching a couple different threads on tuners, but not a lot of responses. I am coming from a 15GT, and Jon Lund is the go to for remote tunes. This is completely different car, so researching like crazy, especially already having mods.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My simple car is VMP tuned, and I run the FIPK stuff as well. I highly recommend a wideband if you remote tune on these as there is no built in O2.

cj428mach

Established Member
As Brad said you'll need a wideband in order to remote tune. I'd recommend either 04sleeper or Don Lasota at Lasota Racing

baddboxer

Established Member
My simple car is VMP tuned, and I run the FIPK stuff as well. I highly recommend a wideband if you remote tune on these as there is no built in O2.
Yeah, planned on adding the wideband sensor kit to the existing dual aeroforce guage instead of adding a third guage. Still doing a little home work on that though. Thought it was odd that the car had been dyno tuned to over 500hp with no wide and stock MAF. Plan to add BAP shortly just for extra reassurance.

baddboxer

Established Member
As Brad said you'll need a wideband in order to remote tune. I'd recommend either 04sleeper or Don Lasota at Lasota Racing
Thanks for the recommendations! I've seen a few people mention Losata, ATS and AED. I will check them both out.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I've been down this road.

Replace all bearings in your idlers if they are aftermarket, replace belt tensioner, and get a gatorback belt.

I did these all one at a time and it took forever to figure it out. My issue ended up being the tensioner.

Users who are viewing this thread