New cobra in the garage!!

S

snakeplisskin93

Mar3009.jpg

S

snakeplisskin93

As you can see, there's some shine there, it just needs some work. Piants very dry and dirty on top, so this weekend I'll be letting the sandpaper and buffer fly!

Also, if you noticed the cali plate on it, here's the story. I had posted a topic in the cop section about driving the car home unregistered. After I bought the car, the seller and I drove to the local DMV and I was going to get a temp plate for $18. DMV said I didn't need it because in cali when you sell a car the plates stay and I have 6 weeks to reggie it in my state! Nice!

On the cali title there's a section that tears off for the seller and she sends that in releasing her liability on it. Ha in ny your SOL, sellers keep there plates and have to turn them in to dmv to drop insurance.

Not sure which way is better, kinda like ny way, nevada is the highest uninsured motorist state in the usa and I believe they do it the same as cali, no wonder, lots of peeps driving around on bad tags, no to mention the border runners, lol.

S

snakeplisskin93

Good deal. I'm rather nervous to wetsand mine, but its going to need it. The Claybar helped but tree sap is murder. Time to do some searching on this procedure. Good luck with your endeavor!

I'm using 1000 grit first followed by 2000 grit. Hell I'm nervous too but that high a grit your only taking some of the clear down. My test spot was with a bit of 2000 grit dry, then just hand buffed it and scratches were gone!

I'll be posting some side by side shots of the before and after and hopefully the camera will pick it up well.

I still need to get a small sanding block for and even sand.

Last edited by a moderator:

WillyB93

Established Member
From the way it looks I would say you got a good fine small issues that are about the same for every cobra and freshen up that paint and enjoy!

S

snakeplisskin93

From the way it looks I would say you got a good fine small issues that are about the same for every cobra and freshen up that paint and enjoy!

Yes, lots of small stuff, to swap,detail. All plastic, window trim is faded or dry rotted. RH 1/4 window is nice, LH not so much. Cowl cover is good, needs RH foglight, glass is gone, I have one ordered already.

Willy, do you know which is correct antenna mast? I got an extra one with the wire wrapped in it and one on car is without.

Also I believe the car's were painted the semi gloss around door window frames, can you confirm this? Thanks

buddha93

Established Member
Yes, lots of small stuff, to swap,detail. All plastic, window trim is faded or dry rotted. RH 1/4 window is nice, LH not so much. Cowl cover is good, needs RH foglight, glass is gone, I have one ordered already.

Willy, do you know which is correct antenna mast? I got an extra one with the wire wrapped in it and one on car is without.

Also I believe the car's were painted the semi gloss around door window frames, can you confirm this? Thanks

Smooth antennae.

Talk to Aaron Stiles over on the Cobra Registry. He's redone a bunch of these cars, so I'm sure he knows what the right paint to use is at this point.

I use the SEM trim black on the mirrors, cowl, and other trim pieces.

S

snakeplisskin93

Smooth antennae.

Talk to Aaron Stiles over on the Cobra Registry. He's redone a bunch of these cars, so I'm sure he knows what the right paint to use is at this point.

I use the SEM trim black on the mirrors, cowl, and other trim pieces.

I've used the trim black before with good results. What do your door frames look like buddha? Semi gloss? From what I can gather from peeps pics it looks to be that.

I can't post on cobra registry. Anyone else with a stock/original paint cobra care to chime in on door frame black?

buddha93

Established Member
It is a sort of semi-gloss stuff, but I don't dare to guess what's out there to match it to produce the OEM look.

S

snakeplisskin93

It is a sort of semi-gloss stuff, but I don't dare to guess what's out there to match it to produce the OEM look.

The SEM or I had a can of trim black fron eastwood, it may have been SEM. I used that on my torino and it was a perfect match for the black on the tail panel mouldings.

I picked up a can of duplicolor trim black that claims OEM trim black, so we'll see how it comes out.

rolltide93

Established Member
I almost bought that car before I bought a red one in socal. The rust was my issue. But I'm not a paint and body man so I didnt want to deal with it, I really liked the car though. I believe it was an older lady that was selling because her husband died or something along those lines. Good to see someone is cleaning it up, and again I really liked that car and I think you got it for a pretty good price, I remember her asking $7500 or something real close.

S

snakeplisskin93

I almost bought that car before I bought a red one in socal. The rust was my issue. But I'm not a paint and body man so I didnt want to deal with it, I really liked the car though. I believe it was an older lady that was selling because her husband died or something along those lines. Good to see someone is cleaning it up, and again I really liked that car and I think you got it for a pretty good price, I remember her asking $7500 or something real close.

The hatch rust bubbles can be fixed, it was in my price range and lower miles and original, so a good buy. Yes she was asking $7500, I got it for a bit less, yay!

laz2447

Established Member
It is always nice to see the '93 Cobras finding good homes where they belong.

Good luck with it, and keep posting pics of the updates!!

Mach&Roll

Established Member
You guys found any more and where did you locate that cobra at? Autotrader, craigslist, ebay etc.... I am looking for one as soon as my 2001 cobra sales. I found one but love to look at them and if one came along I would have to do something to bring it home.

Users who are viewing this thread