New Cobra and new problems (vacuum and electrical connections?)

uh0h50

Established Member
Well I am the proud new owner of a 98 BAB Cobra. Picked it up from a forum member a couple of days ago. The car is pretty damn solid. Needs a little love but it won't take much to make her great.

I will say that I am pretty unfamiliar with the DOHC motors, so this is a whole new world to me. But I look forward to this new journey.

Here is the very basic rundown of the motor situation.

-MMR 4.75L Stroker Mod 750 shortblock(9:5:1 compression) engine rated to handle 750rwhp. Forged internals.
-Cylinder heads are from a 03 Mach 1 with very low miles with ARP head studs. (MMR assembled longblock)
-MMR intake manifold 1" spacer
-New Manifold from 01 cobra crate engine.
-JLT air intake with 90mm MAF
-Aviator high volume Fuel pump
-30lb injectors

First issue:
What in the world does this large vacuum hose connect to? Maybe half inch or so. It's just free in the open and blows air. I would think some kind of canister but I'm not seeing anything.
20140420_120209_zpse70fd7a3.gif

20140420_171338_zps473e6902.gif

20140420_171346_zps7e01de14.gif

20140420_153552_zps39a35167.gif

Second issue(s):
So here is the 99 intake manifold with these connections just open. I also know that the egr is not connected to anything as well.. What gives here concerning the connectors?
20140420_153450_zps92145e8b.gif

20140420_153502_zpse32a2a02.gif

Last edited:

uh0h50

Established Member
Ok did some searching and found that this hose runs from the secondary air injection pump. The car has an offroad mid. I think I will just leave it alone. Might as well just let it vent to the atmosphere, right?

Last edited:

laddanator

Established Member
Ok did some searching and found that this hose runs from the secondary air injection pump. The car has an offroad mid. I think I will just just leave it alone. Might as well just let it vent to the atmosphere, right?

No, you don't let anything from the SAI vent to atmosphere. Do you have an exhaust leak or anything from that hose? I would cap it. I removed all my SAI stuff when I installed my KB.

Last edited:

uh0h50

Established Member
No, you don't let anything from the SAI vent to atmosphere. Do you have an exhaust leak or anything from that hose? I would cap it. I removed all my SAI stuff when I installed my KB.

Would it be a better idea to just fully eliminate it?

svtcobralover

Established Member
Just eliminate the SAI and I belive the all those other connection are for the old egr. He probably just had to delete it when he did th swap. Just delete everything.

laddanator

Established Member
Would it be a better idea to just fully eliminate it?

I removed all vacuum lines associated with the SAI and EGR. There are two copper tubes attached to the manifolds for the SAI that I removed and had the center hole welded and basically turned the fitting into a cap. I did not remove my SAI pump in the fender yet but I plan too. With everything I got disconnected, the pump isn't pumping or working anyway. No real need to remove the pump once you remove the vacuum lines and cap off the manifolds. Most remove the pump to save weight.

uh0h50

Established Member
I have to get back under that fender when I get a chance to. How is the SAI actuated? Wiring harness to it?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I suspect that hose comes from the SAI pump. The 01 crate motor will not have the SAI ports in the exhaust manifolds.

Are you running a return or returnless fuel system? I bet one of those connectors is for the returnless fuel pressure sensor and you are running return style. Share the wire colors for the unused plugs and I might be able to help.

crystal

Established Member
I have searched multiply forums and can't find one with the appropriate answer or an answer at all. I have a 1997 Cobra everything pretty much stock. The vacuum from the EVAP purge valve is not plugged in and I smell gasoline in the car with the heat/air on. I am not sure what the PO did and want to make sure it's nice a tidy and correctly routed. I have seen a diagram but that doesn't seam to help me. Can somebody please help me..
buy.gif

uh0h50

Established Member
I suspect that hose comes from the SAI pump. The 01 crate motor will not have the SAI ports in the exhaust manifolds.

Are you running a return or returnless fuel system? I bet one of those connectors is for the returnless fuel pressure sensor and you are running return style. Share the wire colors for the unused plugs and I might be able to help.
Mark, thank you for the reply. Here are pictures I quickly took this morning before heading to work. Please let me know if this helps or if you need to see anything else. (If you were up for checking out the car in person, San Jose is not that much of a drive for me.) Thanks!
20140422_075516_zpsf16084ff.gif

20140422_075520_zpsce1a5977.gif

20140422_075527_zpsed21f465.gif

20140422_075532_zps1809b0a6.gif

20140422_075541_zpsaf2c930b.gif

Last edited:

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Sorry, I read your original post a little more carefully this morning. I thought you had an 01 crate motor. You have a lot of bits and pieces, including some from an 01 crate motor.

The SAI pump output can be left unhooked, but the ports on the exhaust manifolds have to be plugged. I am not sure if simply unhooking the SAI diverter valves will act as plugs for the exhaust. Since this is not smog legal, I have never tried it.

The 6 pin plug looks like your IMRC controller connector(W/O, BR, DB/Y, GY/R, BK wires & 1 not used). Since your new intake setup does not have IMRCs you don't need it.

The three pin connector looks like it is for your EGR's DPFE sensor (BR/W, BR/LG & GY/R wires) and the two pin connector looks like it should be for your EGR vacuum regulator solenoid (R & BR/PK wires).

Does the car have a tune or are you throwing IMRC and EGR DTCs?

You are welcome to come down, but I think we have things pretty well identified here.

uh0h50

Established Member
Sorry, I read your original post a little more carefully this morning. I thought you had an 01 crate motor. You have a lot of bits and pieces, including some from an 01 crate motor.

The SAI pump output can be left unhooked, but the ports on the exhaust manifolds have to be plugged. I am not sure if simply unhooking the SAI diverter valves will act as plugs for the exhaust. Since this is not smog legal, I have never tried it.

The 6 pin plug looks like your IMRC controller connector(W/O, BR, DB/Y, GY/R, BK wires & 1 not used). Since your new intake setup does not have IMRCs you don't need it.

The three pin connector looks like it is for your EGR's DPFE sensor (BR/W, BR/LG & GY/R wires) and the two pin connector looks like it should be for your EGR vacuum regulator solenoid (R & BR/PK wires).

Does the car have a tune or are you throwing IMRC and EGR DTCs?

You are welcome to come down, but I think we have things pretty well identified here.
Mark,

I should have also mentioned that the stock exhaust manifolds are long gone. JBA shorty heads have taken their place. I may just end up ditching the entire SAI altogether.

I think you are right about the 6 pin connector being for the long-gone IMRC plates. I can just hide this in the wiring when I clean it up.

I purchased an EGR delete plate last night, hoping to get that soon.

The car is only dyno-tuned. I don't know why the previous didn't have the codes deleted when he had it at the tuner.

The CEL is on and is showing codes for EGR and what not. The car came with a handheld SCT tuner, so I am able to temporarily delete the codes but I'm sure they will return. I need to get this stuff situated before I can take it to a nearby tuner.

And finally, thank you for the offer on inviting me your way if need be. I will keep you in mind and can pay you for your time.:beer:

whyxitx

Established Member
I left it open. You can create a relay to make it think they are working if you want to go that route. I have a link on my computer somewhere

Users who are viewing this thread