New Clutch Time - What shoud I put in?

Avispa

Established Member
Old clutch is getting a little worn; releases close to the end of pedal travel and I need a new release bearing anyway. What do you guys recommend for a replacement? Car is my DD, so stuff like Spec stage 3+ is probably not a good idea. Making 540 at the wheels with Whipple/3.5 pulley.

Thanks

cobracide

Established Member
I have a McLeod RST Twin Disk, very happy with it. Half of the pedal force, still breaking it in as it is still a bit "Grabby". You should get the steeda firewall adjuster and LDC freeplay mod with it.

Last edited:

Fat-cat

Established Member
If you have the money the Dual disc by spec or Mcloed are great options. I see you are whippled so dishing out the cash on a DD car for a nice cluch is a good idea that wont melt when you get in the power. I have a Spec3+ and could DD my car if i wanted its ez to drive.

Avispa

Established Member
Well that's two for the McLeod twin disk. I think that settles it.

Yes, the plastic quadrant and non-adjustable cable are heading for the transh can, too.

Thanks, both of you guys!

cobracide

Established Member
Things to do with your clutch -

1) ford racing to bearing
2) 26 spline input shaft - tremac from d&d WITH the bearing on it
3) steeda or other aluminum clutch quardrant
4) Ford stock clutch cable
5) LDC Cooling mod
6) McLeod 26 spline RST Twin disk clutch kit with a McLeod pressure plate and flywheel - balanced together.
7) Steeda firewall adjuster
8) steeda pedal stop or LDC clutch cable freeplay mod.
9) McLeod retainer sleeve

I think that's it.

-added retainer sleeve, forgot that!

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
You better not toss that non-adjustable stock clutch cable. You keep that sucker. Adjustables are COMPLETE CRAP!!! And +1000000 to mcleod twin disc. And i would look into the Fiore quadrant and firewall adjuster. They are top notch pieces. My buddy is pulling his steeda pieces off for the Fiore ones because the fiore pieces are much higher quality.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Why is the Spec 3+ out of the question since it is your DD?

My Cobra is my DD and have the Spec 3+ in it. The clutch feel is lighter than stock and is amazing.

Avispa

Established Member
I'm really surprised to hear the pedal effort on the Spec stage 3+ is less than stock. The plate pressure is so high I would have expected it to be otherwise.

I did the tob sleeve last year when mine split in half. Put in a new tob and it's already starting to go. ugh!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Spec 3+ here, and I X2 Chris that the pedal is lighter than stock...even my, gf noticed it

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Are all of the clutches mentioned above very grabby and non-slip like the Centerforce DFX or are they easier on the neck if ya know what I mean?

TRBO VNM

OP, the specs are lighter pedal feel. I haven't felt an aftermarket that was heavier or even as heavy as factory yet

Users who are viewing this thread