New CF brake cooling ducts

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
Posted this up over on the BON board.

Finally had some extra time of the weekend and made a set of CF brake cooling ducts which I had some people inquiring about.

Here's that pic. Tell me what you guys think. This is just what I came up with last night. The unit has 3 layers of CF on it and weighs probably about 3oz.
If you see something you don't like on the design or something else I need to include please post your opinions.
cfbrakeducts.jpg

here's a pic of our current aluminum unit. The unit installs the same as this one.
cfbrakeducts2.jpg

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Looks great. How much weight does it save? I just looked at some made of steel plate and they only weighed about 8oz. How are you mounting the ducting in your front spoiler. The shop that I saw it in just had the duct attached with two hose clamps screwed to the back of the fog lamp flanges.

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
Pretty much thats how we were going to offer them.
Perhaps sometime later we might make a CF plate that mounts horz. inside the bumper.

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
that looks pretty cool. Could you blend the open duct area into the large flat area more? it might look cleaner, distribute the flow better and add strength. Just a thought. :shrug:

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
no price yet, need to figure out how much the tubbing is going to cost. I'm getting prem. rubebr tubing. I had some of teh aluminum tubing and that kept getting bent and would eb usless after a few races. I'm aiming for 150.00 for everything.

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
Originally posted by stang99svt
I'm not getting what your suggesting. The whole unit is 1 piece on the CF unit.

kinda hard to explain in words...but your metal piece is a tube welded to a flat plate, right? ...on the CF piece you could put larger radii where they intersect, even blend further into the "flat plate" area.
Kapish???

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
ahhh I think I got what your saying. Well the inlet was design ed work with a rubber hose like what they use on the nascar vehicle that wouldn't be to small or to large to install on the vehicle.
If I kept the inlet diameter the same but opened up the outside, the velocity of the air coming out wouldn't have as much of an impact on the rotor.

Last edited:

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
...air velocity

yep...good point, so I wouldn't blend very much...just a little to add structure to the large flat area and to add to its aesthetic charm. Just a bit of a flare trailing back.

Just trying to help...only my $.02
:thumbsup:

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
"just a little to add structure to the large flat area"
3 layers is pretty stiff. For its application I would find it pretty hard to break this thing. I have a few units I'm going to Sponsor for testing. Were currently excepting marketing proposels for racers at a significant discount. We really only need 2-3 racers to participate. But yes essentally every kit would probably need Instructions, 2 washers, 2 CF ducts, 4 clamps and 2 Prem rubber tubes. So I think 150.00 will be the traget price but we'll have to see.

ArchAngel

Established Member
Stang99SVT--

Looks good--could be me but maybe a little wavy looking?

More Qs--what is your company and do you have other products? Hoods? Interior pieces? Other?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
Its looks wavy from the light, The CF is a little tight around the duct area but thats better anyways. More strength but otherwise the pattern on this unit is just fine. I think I put to many coats of clear on and it was just tuff getting pictures that showed the weave but also didn't look to shinny.

I'm working with a company that makes functional heat extractor fiberglass 32.1lbs, CF/fiberglass 25lbs and Carbon Fiber Cobra R 2K hoods 18lbs,CF ground splitters, CF heat extractor fenders, interior and exterior CF products, as well as 4v engine development. (Doing a 5.3L for SEMA)

I've been pretty busy with SEMA and PRI so I haven't really showed much of the stuff we've been making since most of it is going on our prohect vehicles to these shows. We'll swing into high gear after the new year. We've already sold a good number of the fiberglass cobra R 2K hoods to members on this board and the BON board.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
3 layers. 3K till 2X2 weave.
I'm using 6K 5hS for the rear seat delete kits.

Hum keep us posted :beer:

Def 3 layers is better then 1 layer. Good to know ur using a better type of fabric :beer:

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
I'd probably get bitch slapped if I used 1 layer:p
2 layers can take a hammer, 3 layers can take being driven over with (depending on angle) 4 layers could probably take a direct sledge hammer hit. Not that we would recommend that. I don't think we can warrently sledge hammer damage.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
I'd probably get bitch slapped if I used 1 layer:p
2 layers can take a hammer, 3 layers can take being driven over with (depending on angle) 4 layers could probably take a direct sledge hammer hit. Not that we would recommend that. I don't think we can warrently sledge hammer damage.

:lol: LMAO :lol:

True that. I personally havent figured out on how to make it stiff with 2 layers but 3 def. is a big difference.

Put me on ur list of customers, so once ur ready to sell ;-)

BTW...buddy u aint got time to be on the boards :eek: Sema's less then 1 month away. What booth number are u going to be in? Im getting a good chance to go with XMP this year :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread