New cars and their safety features

rborden

Established Member
I recently rented a newerish Toyota 4Runner while out of town on company business and this stupid thing brakes automatically if someone comes over in front of me or I come up on a slower vehicle and beeps at me when I go outside of my lane.

I don’t think I’ll be buying anything new any time soon.

Is there a way to permanently disable those features? Just completely aggravating. Let me drive the vehicle please.

It’s been years since I rented a vehicle so I might be living in the obscure past and completely naive on these new features.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
a lot of the lane keeping, auto braking etc... are optional at this point.

Im sure it's worth it to the rental car places since they cant control how idiots drive

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I have had similar situations in rentals too, but try this:

While in park, go ahead and turn the key forward 1-click or tap the "start/stop" so all the bells & whistles turn on.
Then navigate thru the radio/display to find all the "nannies" and adjust or turn them off completely.
Most times this can be done without turning on the vehicle & idling the engine.

87lc2

Established Member
Purposely ordered my wife's 2016 Regal GS with every option besides the "Driver Convenience Package". Hate that crap, totally unecessary.

It's funny, was driving with my dad a couple weeks back in his '21 Sierra AT4 and he was looking at something on his phone and I said you better pay attention as we were coming up to traffic. He just said, "Don't worry, it will brake on its own if I get too close". Unbelievable...

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
All of the new GM vehicles have that "Buckle your seat belt to shift" when you start the car/truck, and "check rear seat" message when you shut the vehicle off. When I do a PDI on a new car, I go into the menu and turn all that shit off. If they want it on, they can turn it on, but automatically on is the default.
Lots of new car features I hate. "Lane Assist", "Cross Traffic Alert", Adaptive Cruise Control", "Auto Braking", "Auto Headlights", "Auto High Beams". It is all to much. Driving should be a driver involved activity, not sitting in your recliner watching your phone.
Hell I don't like TPMS sensors, or auto door locks.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
My company truck is a 22 Frontier it has all that.
Took a while but I’m used to it now
The cruise control is a pain though

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Open the door in drive on a new f150. It’ll put the trans in park.

The new Dodge pickup does the exact same thing... Scared me half-to-death the first time I opened the door while backing up into a tight spot.

I don't want to rely on that stupid "camera/screen"...

I actually want to SEE for myself what's behind me or in the corners...

SHOdown220

Established Member
A lot of that stuff is becoming standard on new cars, just wait until you see the costs to replace and aim damaged or failed radars/cameras. That shit is in the thousands.

Thankfully most of that stuff can be turned off, I’m not a fan, there has been a few times in my wife’s pilot I’ve pulled into the driveway or something too quickly and just as I’m about to brake the car panics and slams on the brakes. Scares the shit out of you when you aren’t expecting it.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Purposely ordered my wife's 2016 Regal GS with every option besides the "Driver Convenience Package". Hate that crap, totally unecessary.

It's funny, was driving with my dad a couple weeks back in his '21 Sierra AT4 and he was looking at something on his phone and I said you better pay attention as we were coming up to traffic. He just said, "Don't worry, it will brake on its own if I get too close". Unbelievable...
Thats exactly the problem...people will rely on that shit and it encourages more bad driving habits

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea. This is why I wanted a fairly base truck. Got the engine I wanted ans I'm good. Too much tech and safety features just add headaches and issues down the line.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Yea. This is why I wanted a fairly base truck. Got the engine I wanted ans I'm good. Too much tech and safety features just add headaches and issues down the line.
Give me a 5.0, 4x4, XM and im good lol...or and the sport package...gotta have my shiftet in the center with decent seats...screw the bench

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

The new Dodge pickup does the exact same thing... Scared me half-to-death the first time I opened the door while backing up into a tight spot.

I don't want to rely on that stupid "camera/screen"...

I actually want to SEE for myself what's behind me or in the corners...

That feature is due to the death of Anton Yelchin, the actor from Star Trek, Odd Thomas, and a few other notable movies. He died getting the mail when he jumped out of his Grand Cherokee with the dial gear shift and it rolled down an incline and crushed him to death.

Last edited:

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any new vehicle with a "Rotary" type "shifter" or push button shifter will do that. If you have a conventional shift lever, it does not do that. All GM products do the same thing. It is annoying as hell. Also, all of these vehicles with the rotary dial shifters, or push button gear selectors also apply the park brake every time you open the damn door with the vehicle running, or not. Trying to keep the car/truck in neutral with the park brake off so you can do an alignment is a PITA.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Any new vehicle with a "Rotary" type "shifter" or push button shifter will do that. If you have a conventional shift lever, it does not do that. All GM products do the same thing. It is annoying as hell. Also, all of these vehicles with the rotary dial shifters, or push button gear selectors also apply the park brake every time you open the damn door with the vehicle running, or not. Trying to keep the car/truck in neutral with the park brake off so you can do an alignment is a PITA.
The column shifted f150 does it too.

Users who are viewing this thread