New cars and locking out of scan tools

mcaligiuri

Established Member
Hey so I just got a 2023 jeep and read how basic scan tools can’t even clear codes now. If you want to clear codes you have to buy a scanner and then a subscription yearly to have the access. How is this legal? You’re basically holding the consumer at ransom to have access to a vehicle they bought and own. Even gm needs their own software to flash new modules and programming. It is making it harder and harder to do repairs at home on your own cars. I thought we had a right to repair act and making people pay yearly doesn’t sit right with me. I get it if I’m a shop but I’m one guy who does it on his own cars. Just aggravates me that everything is getting more and more controlled. Has anyone found a buy one and done solution? Even fdrs has free signup and activation. I don’t understand how the other two can make people pay.

beau t

Established Member
It is frustrating for sure, i have a buddy that was telling me about this a couple years ago that it was going this way. Just another way to force all the small shops and individuals out.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
It just like paying subscriptions for things like heated seats and remote start. The manufacturers want the income stream. 5 years or less from now, your '23's software will no longer be able to be updated and you will need to buy a new vehicle.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
We run into this at our shop as all repairs require pre and post scans. We have an Alldata scanner that has issues scanning a lot of new vehicles so we send them to a company called AVSC that handles the scans and programming if needed.

mcaligiuri

Established Member
In ny we had an issue with the new ford escapes not communicating with the nys inspection machine. Had to do a bcm update to allow access so it would pass inspection. This is crazy. I’m sick of payments for every damn thing. I’m holding onto my mustang forever. It’s making doing anything besides breathing a hassle

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
It just like paying subscriptions for things like heated seats and remote start. The manufacturers want the income stream. 5 years or less from now, your '23's software will no longer be able to be updated and you will need to buy a new vehicle.
Lol...ya gotta love the pay to subscibe to use options you already paid for lol

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Didnt know about any of this, guess I will be checking the wifes 23 G70 when she gets home. So if none of my scanners can connect than this is what I have to look forward to correct???

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Wife's '23 Jeep accepts basic scan tools as does my C8. On second thought, I've got a Banks Derringer plugged into the OBDII port, so I'm not sure on the Jeep....

Certain on the C8 though - burnt a spark plug wire after installing headers..

mcaligiuri

Established Member
Wife's '23 Jeep accepts basic scan tools as does my C8. On second thought, I've got a Banks Derringer plugged into the OBDII port, so I'm not sure on the Jeep....

Certain on the C8 though - burnt a spark plug wire after installing headers..
It can read codes but won’t clear them.

Papaw

Established Member
You guys should just trust your government, especially the Environmental Protection Agency geniuses that protect us all. Being able to read and clear codes could possibly ruin your vehicle and the planet! Nancy Pelosi, AOC, Joe Biden (and Hunter) have totally sacrificed their lives on your behalf to make the world a better place for you and others (mostly others).
So just do what they say and it will go well with you.

OR ELSE!

Users who are viewing this thread