New build, Fender Stratocaster, Blue Agave

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
A few of you may remember my last two projects I posted here a couple years ago.

Life After the Terminator.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?982199-Life-after-the-quot-Terminator-quot

The Refinishing of a 2003 DSG Cobra.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?689176-All-over-refinishing-of-a-DSG-03-Cobra

After the V8 Ranger was completed I promised myself I wouldn’t get involved in any more large projects. However, I did need something small to keep my mind busy. A few months ago I decided to play around with painting a cheap guitar body. I decided to use a 1967 Marina Blue Corvette Stingray as my general theme. I shot the Fender Body in Marina Blue basecoat and then added the Black “Stinger” Hood stripe. Once that was completed I put down two coats of clear, polished the body, and installed the inexpensive pick guard and electronics.

DSC00607Z_zpsagovcqgg.jpg

DSC00608Z_zpstab88wg0.jpg

DSC00610Z_zpsqqgnein6.jpg

DSC00611Z_zpswekunpwq.jpg

DSC00614Z_zpsxfyievm9.jpg

DSC00622Z_zpsqkq40ist.jpg

Last edited:

jbrown1238

Established Member
That led to a compulsion of collecting a little higher line of Stratocasters. I have settled into an appreciation of the Made in Mexico Models. I know these are not as highly regarded as the American version but the price is at a point where I can still afford several here and there as they come available.

So far I have purchased two new guitars, a 50’s Classic Reissue in Surf Green (57 Chevrolet), and a Jimmie Vaughan Signature model in Olympic White (59 Cadillac). I also purchased a used 2001 Standard Stratocaster just for the color (Blue Agave) as it has always been my favorite Fender Color.

DSC00702_zpsffrnzhlm.jpg

DSC00703_zpsqhbki287.jpg

DSC00705_zpsozhmrhzj.jpg

jbrown1238

Established Member
So here is the plan. Take the used Blue Agave guitar to the paint store and have the color matched so a new guitar can be built and used as the new “daily beater.” Then the used original 2001 Blue Agave guitar can be sold at a later date. I got spoiled and really like the look and feel of brand new guitars and not so much the used ones. Blue Agave is no longer available on current models and the color was rare enough that no paint code has been published.

When I disassembled the Blue Agave guitar I discovered the body had a build date of September 9, 2001. Two days before 911! As so many of us, I will always remember exactly where I was on that tragic day. Now I know exactly where this particular guitar was as well. It was in the Fender Factory waiting to be assembled. I guess I get attached to things too easy, it is going to be reassembled and then it will stay in my collection.

DSC00723_zpsnu2t2ywe.jpg

DSC00724_zpsetvqk2gq.jpg

To start this project I went ahead and ordered a new 2016 Replacement Body directly from Fender. The only color available at the time was Three Tone Sunburst. That won’t be a problem as the paint store was able to match the Blue Agave color and a pint of basecoat was purchased for this job.

DSC00737_zps4jvzie5g.jpg

DSC00744_zpsogejpre8.jpg

DSC00746_zpsxfzsxn9f.jpg

DSC00756_zpslnzjsbfq.jpg

DSC00759_zps6ygfyfb9.jpg

DSC00768_zpsgof7wahf.jpg

It is almost a shame to scratch this brand new surface with 400 grit paper.

Last edited:

Swift

Established Member
This is an awesome thread! As a DIY painter I'm always envious of your paint work. Is auto body what you do professionally, or is it just a hobby for you as well?

jbrown1238

Established Member
This is an awesome thread! As a DIY painter I'm always envious of your paint work. Is auto body what you do professionally, or is it just a hobby for you as well?

Although I did paint as a profession for a short time in my early adult life, most of my life it has just been a hobby. It all started around 1969 when my baby sitter took me outside and into the family owned paint and body shop for the first time. I played around for a few years and learned a little from friends and distant family members while still young and living at home. Eventually I enrolled in vocational school and then hired on at a local Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Dealership.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, Jeff, what a great collection you've started, and what a great thread. Can't wait to see how this latest Fender comes out. I really like the Surf Green and Blue Agave colors. :rockon:

jbrown1238

Established Member
Wow, Jeff, what a great collection you've started, and what a great thread. Can't wait to see how this latest Fender comes out. I really like the Surf Green and Blue Agave colors. :rockon:

Thanks Bob, it is always to good to hear from you. You know I have always been a car guy and the fact that Fender has always used mostly automotive colors made the fit kind of natural. It is almost like my own little miniature car collection! I have also started playing guitar again after being completely away from it for most of my adult life. I guess with age came the desire to explore more of my artistic side.

jbrown1238

Established Member
The new body was quickly scuffed down and the new PPG Basecoat/Clearcoat finish was applied.

DSC00770_zpsmoirlj00.jpg

DSC00780_zpshyaigyhy.jpg

DSC00795_zpshuvj4c1r.jpg

DSC00796_zpsitbshkff.jpg

DSC00802_zpsgwygm16q.jpg

DSC00805_zpsjv0zl1hn.jpg

coposrv

Established Member
Bad ass. I've done a few my self nothing to the level of yours though. Join the reranch forums. Most of my stuff I finished trying to recreate a vintage look. Belt rash, dings, chips wear marks. Fun hobby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbrown1238

Established Member
Bad ass. I've done a few my self nothing to the level of yours though. Join the reranch forums. Most of my stuff I finished trying to recreate a vintage look. Belt rash, dings, chips wear marks. Fun hobby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I have looked at a few forums recently as well as the reranch forum. Good stuff there for sure. I like the vintage stuff and relic look as well. That seems to be where most of the interest is at in the guitar realm these days.

jbrown1238

Established Member
After two days of “dry time” the body was color sanded with 600/1000/2000 grit paper and polished to a mirror finish.

DSC00845_zpsm6ocrqfw.jpg

Here are a few photos of the original 2001 Blue Agave body next to the new freshly painted 2016 Blue Agave body.

DSC00836_zpsjwtec5zx.jpg

DSC00844_zpsffhnwx43.jpg

The next step will be selecting the neck I want to use. The original Fender necks tend to be a little plain as far as wood grain and color. I would really like to use a “Birdseye Maple” or maybe a “Flame Maple” if a good quality piece can be located.

Here are a couple photos of the License Fender neck I found and purchased. It is a “Birdseye Maple” with a small degree of “Flame” on the top of the neck. I think it will add some character to the aesthetics of the new build. I looked at 27 different Stratocaster necks before finally deciding on this one to purchase.

DSC00846_zpsev5paf25.jpg

DSC00847_zpssqwvewa7.jpg

The only issue is it does not carry the correct 2001 Fender headstock decal. However with a little research I was able to have one made to my specifications. I know, I know, the purists will frown on this but I am not trying to deceive anyone. This is just a hand built instrument for my own private use put together to look like an authentic factory piece.

I decided to use the “MZ” (Made in Mexico) part of the original serial number as well as the “1” (2001 model) but went ahead and personalized the remaining characters to reflect my birthday.

After a few minutes in the water the decal was push off the paper backing and on to the new headstock. Then two medium coats of PPG clear were applied over the headstock and down the backside of the neck. The fret board was left with the factory satin finish.

DSC00848_zpskkw2sv3k.jpg

DSC00849_zpsuqe7hxig.jpg

Last edited:

jbrown1238

Established Member
The PPG clear really brought out the natural beauty in the wood. I think the maple looks much better with a high gloss finish but this is going to be a guitar that gets used and a satin neck is the direction I will be going. Soon the neck will be sanded with 1000 grit to make the surface silky smooth. With that being said I could not resist temporarily installing the new body to see what it looked like together with the high gloss neck.

DSC00852_zpsesc0ysjd.jpg

DSC00853_zpsisfmkz2z.jpg

DSC00851_zpsbyswmiwu.jpg

DSC00850_zpsnguxvjm0.jpg

DSC00854_zpscvoxek6v.jpg

DSC00878_zpsp9t8qir3.jpg

DSC00884_zpsvdahbaoo.jpg

DSC00886_zpsjgybc7oq.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread