New best, but something is not right

hopony

Established Member
Just got back from track. Car ran a best et of 11.00@124 1.52 60'

[video=youtube;eE_mfnwyBiM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_mfnwyBiM[/video]

Now that being said something is off with the car and I am not sure what.

Setup is a Beefcake Special 3.8 pulley, SW headers, Bap, 3.31 gears and 28" M/T stiffwalls race weight is 3880.

Dynoed 607 whp last year when I installed the blower ran 126 mph on street tires 1st time at the track.

Did re tune yesterday same tuner. dynoed 597 on old tune before we started tuning it. Did 610 on new tune.

My goal with the car is to run in the 10's and trap 130. So we tuned it with some 104 sunoco 260 gt plus and gaind 57 whp, but the car did not gain any mph or et at the track. If i put the time slip from the old pump gas tune and the race gas tune you could not tell them apart. According to Wallace racing calculator car should trap 129 with changes. I am at a complete loss with the results.

Old tune pump gas video
[video=youtube;wr0_dPJvVlM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr0_dPJvVlM&list=UUNx_PA1r2GUGSYRgWPRt54g[/video]

Since the car ran an 11.00 we took off the air filter trying to get in the 10's it did help mph, but still came up short.

New tune no air filter
[video=youtube;NVRCifWNYac]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVRCifWNYac&list=UUNx_PA1r2GUGSYRgWPRt54g[/video]

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I'd like to see a log showing your timing. I've heard of people having the wrong tune flash on their car and they only knew if because of reading the datalog and seeing the lower commanded timing.

vortecd

Established Member
Things to look at. Belt slipping, running out of fuel or spark

4VFTW

Established Member
I'd like to see a log showing your timing. I've heard of people having the wrong tune flash on their car and they only knew if because of reading the datalog and seeing the lower commanded timing.
trying to load a tune from slot#10 on the X3 will default and load the tune in slot#1 ... I learned this the hard way and noticed an issue in the logs

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Nice 60', congrats!
Ya, you should be around 130 with 600whp at your wieght. That's pretty much what my car is. 600whp roughly @ 3900#'s & I trap 129.5 to 130 in 83 degree weather...

hopony

Established Member
Post a picture of the slips side by side.

timeslip.jpg 11secx.jpg

Here is a link to the log file. It shows 18 degrees timing and no knock. Pump gas tune shows 15 degrees of timing. Car speed is off because my slicks are bigger than the street tires.
www.redlineperformance.biz/trackrun3.csv

Things to look at. Belt slipping, running out of fuel or spark

Don't see it pulling timing in logs. I forgot my usb extension so I could not log boost last night.

trying to load a tune from slot#10 on the X3 will default and load the tune in slot#1 ... I learned this the hard way and noticed an issue in the logs

Pump gas tune is in slot 1 and race gas tune is in slot 3 my original tune is in slot 6. So I don't think that is the issue. Plus last run on dyno was race gas tune and we didn't change it afterwards.

Nice 60', congrats!
Ya, you should be around 130 with 600whp at your wieght. That's pretty much what my car is. 600whp roughly @ 3900#'s & I trap 129.5 to 130 in 83 degree weather...

I came up with 129 to 130 on wallace racing calculator

Can't really help here, but what % tint is on your windows? :)

35% front 18% rear

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
That's conservative timing... I run 17.5 on 93 pump gas... You should be able to run 21 or so on race gas...

hopony

Established Member
That's conservative timing... I run 17.5 on 93 pump gas... You should be able to run 21 or so on race gas...

At this point does it really make a difference? Picked up 60 whp adding 3 degrees of timing, but gained no et or mph. I don't think it is timing or the tune that is to blame. I think I have some kind of mechanical problem like the clutch slipping, boost leak, or belt slipping. Just have to find it.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
That is weird. Nothing looks "out of place" in the log. A/F's look great, timing looks good and smooth, and MAF frequency isn't dipping or anything. Wouldn't you think you would get a flat spot or dip if the belt slipped?

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
The only thing I was wondering was how the timing is handled. On your dyno pull the KS's are allowed to add what looks like over 2* of timing. Well when you start the dyno pull at low rpms, it will add the 2.5'ish*'s early in the pull and hold the more timing throughout the pull, giving you quite a bit more hp as long as no knock is seen. So, whether you get 18* of timing from a base map at 4500 rpms, or if you are seeing 16* from base map and 2 more from the KS, you will make the same power..... BUT.... KS's take time to add timing. During a track run, when the car shifts, you go back to the base timing, and then it takes time to have the KS's add timing back in. Look at your log, every time it shifts you go back to low timing and then you are half way through the gear before you have the timing added back in from the KS's. You are losing a lot of HP during the decreased timing through the first half of the gear.

Does that make sense?

Do you have your pump gas logs?

Last edited:

hopony

Established Member
The only thing I was wondering was how the timing is handled. On your dyno pull the KS's are allowed to add what looks like over 2* of timing. Well when you start the dyno pull at low rpms, it will add the 2.5'ish*'s early in the pull and hold the more timing throughout the pull, giving you quite a bit more hp as long as no knock is seen. So, whether you get 18* of timing from a base map at 4500 rpms, or if you are seeing 16* from base map and 2 more from the KS, you will make the same power..... BUT.... KS's take time to add timing. During a track run, when the car shifts, you go back to the base timing, and then it takes time to have the KS's add timing back in. Look at your log, every time it shifts you go back to low timing and then you are half way through the gear before you have the timing added back in from the KS's. You are losing a lot of HP during the decreased timing through the first half of the gear.

Does that make sense?

Do you have your pump gas logs?

I have a pump gas 4th gear pull but not track log

Stock clutch?

no ram twin disc

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
It would have to be a track log. I wanted to compare the timing right after the shift on both.

Did my last post make any sense?

Users who are viewing this thread