New Best; 9.05@159, 88mm 6 Speed Coupe

93_408_LX

Established Member
I took the car back to the track this weekend for some heavy abuse. We made 24 passes between the 3 days, all in the low 9s. The major change to the car were changing the gears to 3.73s from 4.10s.

We attempted to jam more boost at it, but regardless of what boost pressure we commanded through the controller it would not hold more than 21-22 psi. We believe the fairly long and "bendy" 3.5" exhaust is restricting the turbo, causing a backpressure issue forcing the wastegate open. The boost controller is only the single-solenoid FAST controller, so we feel an addition of C02 or a better controller would also help.

I'm going to try and build a 4" exhaust for it and change the controller by next weekend to hit it as hard as we can!

Also, the rear suspension does not seem happy on any of the passes. It's a light car at 2900lbs with the majority of weight up front, currently the car has 200# 12" front springs, 110# single adjustable rear shocks, these passes were near the soft end of the adjustment.
Any advice on what spring rate or shock settings to use for this thing would be appreciated!

[youtube_browser]sYgr1Wss0W0[/youtube_browser]

dizzygoat

Established Member
Your car is one of my all time favorites. Everything about your car gives me that "feeling."
And congrats on dropping those times like a bad habit, i remember a few comments in your earlier videos...look at you now!

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Wow..your car is moving....great in car footage as well....I can actually almost feel the power of your car...LoL...

Very nicely put together in my opinion.....

MTBSully

Established Member
I love watching this car. Motivation for me to finish up the little things on my car so i can start beating on it!

93_408_LX

Established Member
Thanks guys, I've talked about building a 5/6 speed car for a long time so I'm definitely having a lot of fun with it!
What kind of muffler are you using and where does your exhaust exit?
In all of the videos but this one, we had a 3.5" downpipe go to the rear of the car into a single 3.5" dynomax race bullet. However, we ditched that in attempt to free up some backpressure, so in this video the car simply has a 3.5" open downpipe dumping next to the tranny

20-COBRA-03

Banned
Thanks guys, I've talked about building a 5/6 speed car for a long time so I'm definitely having a lot of fun with it!In all of the videos but this one, we had a 3.5" downpipe go to the rear of the car into a single 3.5" dynomax race bullet. However, we ditched that in attempt to free up some backpressure, so in this video the car simply has a 3.5" open downpipe dumping next to the tranny

nice... how audible was the turbo with the race bullet and rear exit?

93_408_LX

Established Member
wow that car really moves out for a t-56, can I ask why you haven't put an auto in it?
I built this car to go as fast as possible with a stick tranny. I have zero interest in ever putting an auto in it, plus if it was to go 8.49 or quicker I'd need all the cage upgrades which I also don't have any interest in doing with this thing! I've always had a love for watching fast stick cars go and talked about doing a drag one for too long so I had to make it happen!

nice... how audible was the turbo with the race bullet and rear exit?
This turbo isn't actually that audible, but I find it is usually based on the turbo more than the system. My friend has an older Precision 76mm, and even with full dual exhaust/mufflers/tailpipes you can hear the turbo perfectly

Users who are viewing this thread