New Aluminum Blocks

Sneeks2nv

Fully Built, Inc.
Established Member
Just wondering how much you guys that went aluminum got them bored to. would you recommend going .20 or .30 over? also .20 gives you 302ci correct? what would .30 give you? lastly what sleeves did you gus go with? darton? thanks again and all your responses are greatly appreciated. Luis

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
I think you are talking about .020 and .030. And from what I recall, a .020 does not give you a 302ci but rather a 286ci or so. You get the 302 primarily by stroking.

V8Mustang

Established Member
If it is brand new and you are not stroking it, why not leave the bore alone? Assuming you can find std pistons, I don't know why you would eliminate the potential for a rebuild/bore later on.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
It really isn't worth the money to have a 281 bored out. Sure you gain a little, but for the money you can gain a lot more with other mods. The only reason I would see going the 5.0 or 5.2 route with one of these is if you buy it already done as a short or long block package.

-Jeff

tony281sc2

Established Member
.020 over is about a 283, .030 is about a 284 and a .020 over bore with a 3.75 (stroker) crank is a 5.0 i believe.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
3.7" bore with stock stroke is 305ci. 3.7 is .200 bigger, not .020.

there is some question whether or not there's enough bore spacing left for a good seal on the head gasket with that bore. and i mean in the context of forced induction.

the 3.7" bore aluminum block is $3500 from ford racing (M-6010-T50).

Sneeks2nv

Fully Built, Inc.
Established Member
thanks for the responses, nothing is certain as of now. i'm just looking at different options and different set-ups that people here have? or i guess i could send the block out to VT or MMR and let them do what they do best. anyone elses input would be appreciated also.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
the supercharger controls the air going into the engine so we dont have to do all kinds of fancy tricks to increase intake scavenging (eg., ported heads, cams)

spend the money on forged internals and making more boost if its more power you want.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
It really isn't worth the money to have a 281 bored out. Sure you gain a little, but for the money you can gain a lot more with other mods. The only reason I would see going the 5.0 or 5.2 route with one of these is if you buy it already done as a short or long block package.

-Jeff
i disagree. the stock bore leaves a lot to be desired for a performance application.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
My point is that it is not worth the money for an extra 10-15 horses, and a bit more torque. You are going to have to change internals any which way you go, so I would just beef up the bottom end, and save the block work for an upgraded blower and more boost. You will get a lot more out of it. It is like a cam swap, not much there. Minor changes in displacement do not yield that much more power. Now, if we could take these blocks to 6.0 that would be something. But for the money, I wouldn't machine the stock block. But like I said, if you are purchasing a whole new short or long block, then why not go with the extra ci's. I for one am going to stay as a 4.6 because it is more than capable of making more power than I will ever need. And with that one must wonder, when should be the time to bore or stroke? Once the block has exceeded it's potential in 4.6 form you will be well beyond what most street-able cars will need. Sure, you can get a little more low end grunt by adding some leverage with a stoker, but it is just cheaper to up the boost.

WDW MKR

Established Member
It is always recommend to go 0.020" over on the aluminum blocks, due to production variances. Al Pappito documented many production blocks having discrepancies amongst all of the cylinders. Going 0.020-0.030" over gives the builder a fresh canvas with which to appropriately size the pistons for each cylinder.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
3.7" bore with stock stroke is 305ci. 3.7 is .200 bigger, not .020.

there is some question whether or not there's enough bore spacing left for a good seal on the head gasket with that bore. and i mean in the context of forced induction.

the 3.7" bore aluminum block is $3500 from ford racing (M-6010-T50).

i havent heard too much discussed about using this block from ford racing for an engine buildup. has it already been established that it may not be the best route to go for a fi application?

very expensive that is for sure

edit: nevermind - did a search and got alot of insight from this thread http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254744&highlight=m-6010-t50

thx :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread