New Aluminator motor, Need some help

Stangcobra1122

Established Member
Hey guys, so recently the motor in my cobra blew, to make a long story short insurance covered it and bought be a brand new N/A aluminator motor :pepper:

Now before I get the car back with the new engine I've got a couple of questions about this, and after a bit of searching I can't find my answers. First what kind of power can this motor handle in stock trim, the same as the old 01 motor or more.

Second, are these crate engines broken in at the factory or am I going to have to break it in myself, and if so are there any good strategies for doing that.
Thanks in advance and sorry for the noob questions.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The Aluminator is basically an aluminum version of the 03/04 Cobra motor. I think the main difference is the pistons are made by Mahle in the Aluminators. So yes, they can handle more power then the 01 motors.

I'd install it, make sure there aren't any leaks, and then drive it like you're going to drive the car for the rest of it's life.

crazycarlo

Established Member
I read a story where a Ford tech said he wouldnt take it over 700rwhp I believe. Something about the aluminum starts to expand and contract to much due to the level of the heat and can cause failure in the bearings. But they should be good for most anything your going to throw at it. If the insurance paid for it you deff got a good deal man.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
^ Tell that Ford tech to go back to school

And +1, how'd you get insurance to pay for that?

Last edited:

Stangcobra1122

Established Member
I had a piece of road debris fly under the car, smash the oil pan, which shut off the oil pump and the crankshaft was getting scored every time it rotated putting metal into the cylinders
Apparently a comprehensive claim covers that...who knew

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
I have the same longblock in my car... ford rates them at 700+hp and just like stated above people have taken them farther than that and are still running great. My car has the N/A longblock and its at fastlane motorsports right now awaiting a P1SC install and meth hoping for over 500rwhp. But you sir have a good stout motor but i would recommend driving it aggressively to make sure it properly seats everything it can

Stangcobra1122

Established Member
Yeah I figured its not the kind of motor to baby, I know the dealership will be dropping it in sometime soon, and then testing it a bit to make sure it actually runs, so I was thinking of driving it home, letting it sit, then taking it out on 40 later at night
unless anyone has a better way to break it in

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Just think of it logically, it has a stock forged crank, manley H-beam rods, and mahle forged pistons. If you were to build up a motor on your own it would contain the same(or similar) components. The "700hp" rating is just so Ford can cover their a$$...

CompOrangeCobra

Established Member
I had a piece of road debris fly under the car, smash the oil pan, which shut off the oil pump and the crankshaft was getting scored every time it rotated putting metal into the cylinders
Apparently a comprehensive claim covers that...who knew

Through which insurance company??? I may need to do some research on this :idea:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Just think of it logically, it has a stock forged crank, manley H-beam rods, and mahle forged pistons. If you were to build up a motor on your own it would contain the same(or similar) components. The "700hp" rating is just so Ford can cover their a$$...

Probably a true statement

Rating an engine base on how much hp it can "hold" is a bit murky. An engine making 500 hp will last longer then one making 800. A block that distorts to the point it is not straight generally is not considered a failure and is likely to run for a period of time as compared to where something yields in the engine and fails. One guys Aluminator may run for years making 700 hp while another fails making 500. Lots of variable involved.

On the other hand the Aluminator has had it's fair share of problems more so then the iron and Teksid (actually Romeo blocks failing in the Terminator are almost unheard of).

If he's NA he should have no problems. Run FI and I would have the Aluminator close to the bottom of my block choice list

Stangcobra1122

Established Member
Yeah I'm going to be NA for a while...broke high school student, so probably just bolt ons, maybe a cam but thats a big maybe, possibly nitrous as a power adder, but again money really limits me here

Users who are viewing this thread