New 5.0 or whippled terminator help me decide!!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The new 5.0 auto transmission is OWNING at the track. Take a stock 5.0 auto, add a Roush TVS, and supporting mods....you will have a winner that destroys the Whippled Cobra.

Ask yourself this...."Why do all the high HP cars switch to an auto?"

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
I currently own both.I love my cobra,although i have not completed the whipple 600+ goal yet,but i have to say the '11 is my choice.The auto is a different beast once tuned.

My '11 with racestar big and littles,lund tune,jlt cold air went a 7.89@93mph.
Bone stock with my wife driving it went a 8.45..

The '11 is a very nice,refined car that is comfortable and easily modded.I would easily drive this car anywhere knowing it would be a nice trip.

The cobra is more rough as far as daily driving due to the clutch it has to have to handle the power.With that said,i REALLY like going out and banging gears when i go to the track!!

You have a choice,and depending on your purpose with the car,it will be a tough choice to make!

When i get my cobra sorted out and start making power in the 600+ range i'll get back with you.We are saving for a whipple or rousch for the '11 though...

I know the '11 will end up being faster,because of the auto..:uh oh:

KNGCBR

Established Member
Well i want an all around street car that can put down 10s in the quarter at least thats the goal. Also auto may be faster but i love slaming gears.

Last edited:

trendkilllx

Established Member
drove all 3, have an 03 cobra that I am keeping but building a 2900 pound 500hp 91 notchback (max motorsports suspension). Not as nice and reliable as a new gt but just going for best power to weight to dollar ratio, kind of just depends on what you are after as there are tradeoffs with each.

Last edited:

Turbosixx

Established Member
The new 5.0 auto transmission is OWNING at the track. Take a stock 5.0 auto, add a Roush TVS, and supporting mods....you will have a winner that destroys the Whippled Cobra.

Ask yourself this...."Why do all the high HP cars switch to an auto?"

This is true. My car has gone 10.70's @ 128 mph with very little effort. This is hard to beat. Still gets 26 mpg on the highway.

Last edited:

SCMOKN

Established Member
New 5.0... I just found the one I want. The only thing it does not have is 3:73's. I will be calling the tomorrow.

JStyles

Established Member
Why do u say this?

Well I'm obviously biased, but in your original post you stated your wife wants the 5.0 and you want the whipple cobra - there's your answer right there.

It really comes down to this:

forged internals, rarity(I've seen fewer than 10 other terminators on the road while driving in my life), and raw visceral power

vs

Refinement, newness, warranty(if kept stock), more advanced technology(both engine and interior)

I drove a 2011 before buying my '03 just to compare. For me, the cobra looks better, gets more looks, and is more fun to drive. Both are/can be ridiculously fast, but they both "feel" drastically different.

trendkilllx

Established Member
The new gt with the tvs does sound like a good combo, not sure how the non fordged motor will hold up but have not heard of any failures yet. Also guessing 5-10k cheaper than a gt500.

kingnut

Established Member
Cant wait til the day people stop making these threads. How do you get up in the morning and dress yourself OP? Because its a harder decision than this one. 2 completely different cars with 8 years difference in engineering. Please reach down and grab your testicles and man up.

dynasty_365

Established Member
^^^^^ lmmfao I must agree. I love the terminators but the new 5.0 is a beast. It's fast and refined. The terminators r straight monsters. The 5.0 isn't at aggressive but it's still a beast in it's own way. Personally I couldn't see myself going back to that 03-4 interior

I'm thinking pricewise a 04 termi wil run u in the 20's and a base 5.0 will run u 29k. 8 year difference but price in the same range. I imagine thr insurance will also b around the same. Coming from an 04gt my insurance went up 50 dollars when I got my 5.0 so I imagine they'd b around the same

really once u go past the forged internals of the cobra the 5.0 is an all around better buy. So u really have to just go with what u in your mind want. If it's the cobra go for it. If ya wife wants the 5.0 let her get it lol

ViciousJay

Established Member
Go with the Whipple, sell it in a year and a get the 5.0.

There are days i want my cobra back but for the money the 5.0 is just not a GT anymore, also if you looking to just straight line you can always throw the bottle on the GT and still keep up if not waste a whippled cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread