New 5.0 = E9x M3

Dave07997S

Established Member
As a bimmer guy now and in the past as well as a current Porsche guy, I have to say if money was no object than I would definitely get the M3. However, money is an object and when I factor this into the equation you get a hell of a lot of car with the Mustang for the money. I voted M3, but I have to say it wasn't that easy of a vote. I've owned both Mustangs, BMW M3's and now 997's so I have seen all sides of this.

Dave

wjk

Established Member
I wrote Motortrend about 2 months saying the new Mustang was going to be comparable to the M3 and that they should do an article on it. This is now the second web page I've seen talking about this. Hopefully MotorTrend will take my idea seriously!

What a good rivalry, we'll just have to see if paying twice as much for the M3 is worth it.

On a side note, which do you think is going to have a bigger after market? Edge: 2011 Mustang 5.0!

James Rodriguez

Established Member
Guys just don't think about power when comparing vehicles. There is way more to it than that. However, the 2011 GT is very nice. Ford has upped their game for sure.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Guys just don't think about power when comparing vehicles. There is way more to it than that. However, the 2011 GT is very nice. Ford has upped their game for sure.

It's not just the power - the weight is very similar (M3 is listed as 30 pounds heavier as I remember), both pull .97g on the skidpad (not a definitive measure of real-world handling, but still...), and the GT reigns in the ponies from 60MPH a foot shorter than the M3 at 104 feet. They have equal quarter-mile times @ 12.7 seconds, and the M3 runs up to 60MPH just a tenth of a second faster than the GT at 4.3. I'd like to see slalom speed comparisons and open track times, but even as is, there are alot of similarities between the cars. And I think the over-all point is, there are far more similarities than one would expect with the $28k difference.

Dave07997S

Established Member
It's not just the power - the weight is very similar (M3 is listed as 30 pounds heavier as I remember), both pull .97g on the skidpad (not a definitive measure of real-world handling, but still...), and the GT reigns in the ponies from 60MPH a foot shorter than the M3 at 104 feet. They have equal quarter-mile times @ 12.7 seconds, and the M3 runs up to 60MPH just a tenth of a second faster than the GT at 4.3. I'd like to see slalom speed comparisons and open track times, but even as is, there are alot of similarities between the cars. And I think the over-all point is, there are far more similarities than one would expect with the $28k difference.

Road and Track actually clocked an M3 to do 0-60 in 4.1 and run the 1/4 mile at 12.5 @ 114.8mph, the times you posted are the so so times while the Mustang times are the best out there so far. It will be a drivers race, but I feel the M3 will be easier to get the best times out of it.

Here is the data panel for the M3 from Road and Track

http://www.roadandtrack.com/content...1/version/1/file/0208_RT_BMW_M3_datapanel.pdf

All this being said, and I don't mean to beat a dead horse over this...but man I wish the Mustang had a well designed IRS. It would be no contest anymore to be honest is my eyes. Ford really has outdone themselves..so proud of them. I am itching to get one of these Mustangs and save $25k.

Dave

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Road and Track actually clocked an M3 to do 0-60 in 4.1 and run the 1/4 mile at 12.5 @ 114.8mph, the times you posted are the so so times while the Mustang times are the best out there so far. It will be a drivers race, but I feel the M3 will be easier to get the best times out of it.

Here is the data panel for the M3 from Road and Track

http://www.roadandtrack.com/content...1/version/1/file/0208_RT_BMW_M3_datapanel.pdf

All this being said, and I don't mean to beat a dead horse over this...but man I wish the Mustang had a well designed IRS. It would be no contest anymore to be honest is my eyes. Ford really has outdone themselves..so proud of them. I am itching to get one of these Mustangs and save $25k.

Dave
i'm calling bullshit. R&T always have the worst numbers. that's the same mag that wrote a reader response saying "we don't power brake or power shift because we want to give real world numbers"(or something to that extent). unless stuff has changed in the past year or two, somethings going on...

Dave07997S

Established Member
i'm calling bullshit. R&T always have the worst numbers. that's the same mag that wrote a reader response saying "we don't power brake or power shift because we want to give real world numbers"(or something to that extent). unless stuff has changed in the past year or two, somethings going on...

Are you implying I made up this data panel? Sorry not so skilled in PS. Call BS all you want, here's some times from owners. Here's the actualy article..

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/car/2008-bmw-m3-coupe

BMW M3 1/4 Mile Drag Racing Timeslips - DragTimes.com

A few people were able to duplicate those numbers and better them. Some car with light mods and D/R's ran in the 11's.

Car and Driver ran a 4.1 0-60 and a 12.5 in the 1320 with a DCT equipped M3.

Also, Road and Track ran a 4.1 0-60 and 12.3 @114.8mph in a 997.1S when everyone else is running 12.6's @112mph. Yet I know personally someone who ran 12.0's @115mph in a stock 997S. The guy Drew who has now run in the 11's with his M3 I personally know and he knows how to drive. He got his E46 M3 to run 12.80's when it was completely stock.

Dave

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
LOL, no way man, i'm calling bullshit on R&T. sorry if it came out wrong. like i said, unless R&T has changed in the past few years, then there is something going on over there.

Dave07997S

Established Member
LOL, no way man, i'm calling bullshit on R&T. sorry if it came out wrong. like i said, unless R&T has changed in the past few years, then there is something going on over there.

Sorry, didn't mean to be defensive. I think it was MotorTrend that said they don't speed shift and launch hard. I remember when R&T tested the 997S they said they launched at 6k rpm and had axle tramp all the way through 1st to get the times they got, something that an owner wouldn't subject their car to.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
As a bimmer guy now and in the past as well as a current Porsche guy, I have to say if money was no object than I would definitely get the M3. However, money is an object and when I factor this into the equation you get a hell of a lot of car with the Mustang for the money. I voted M3, but I have to say it wasn't that easy of a vote. I've owned both Mustangs, BMW M3's and now 997's so I have seen all sides of this.

Dave

Never owned a BMW, but have a couple friends that do. If I had the money, I would get the M3 as well

swiseuf

Established Member
Never owned a BMW, but have a couple friends that do. If I had the money, I would get the M3 as well

Me too- there is a higher level of refinement that I appreciate with the M3. Of course you will pay 25 G's for said level of refinement.

That being said, Ford hit a home run with this car and I am very happy to see what they have been doing lately. If you guys get a chance (it may have already been posted here - was in 5.0 Magazine or MM&FF I believe) read the article on the development of this new power plant. The Ford team tasked with this new 5.0 did amazing work getting this through the stages of planning, development and testing in amazing time and at an unbelievable value.

Way to go Ford!

swiseuf

Established Member
...oh, and I totally agree with the poster who said that the simple fact there is any comparison between the 2 cars means Ford has a winner here.

Users who are viewing this thread