New 2015 runs hot

CeleronXXX

Just picked up my 2015 triple yellow this evening. Love the car but I went to pop the hood and burned my hand on the prop rod practically. The engine bay seems extremely warm however gauges indicate no issue and its definitely not overheating. I was just wondering if anybody else experienced this

gqneon

Established Member
Mine gets super hot, even with a 170 thermostat and lowered fan profile. Once it gets heat soaked, it's there for good. Opening the hood or putting a fan on it helps a lot. It's not problematic, but it's awfully warm. I even had someone I was showing my car to put their hand on the plastic cowl that covers the bumper cover to the radiator shroud and even he was shocked by how much heat there was.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Engines themselves run normally at 200+ degrees Fahrenheit. Then you have exhaust pipes that are more than 3 times that. Needless to say yes you will notice alot of heat when you open the engine bay, and certainly when you touch anything metal in there (even the hood strut).

Doesn't mean stuff is running hot or overheating, that's just how engines work. And for the posters above, it's not just V8s or performance cars that are like this. Even the most basic econobox has an engine that runs in the 200 degree range. Same goes for exhaust manifolds, doesn't matter what engine they are in...they run hot as shit.

I even had someone I was showing my car to put their hand on the plastic cowl that covers the bumper cover to the radiator shroud and even he was shocked by how much heat there was.

Have that guy touch a part of the engine bay in his own car, guarantee you it will be just as hot.

Last edited:

gqneon

Established Member
Sounds like a good reason to add some Redline Tuning hood struts.
I put on some of those struts and it made a big difference cruising around town, but at the track at WOT it was killing my 60' times. Probably a design flaw...

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
The 2015's are known for having reactor core issues causing the rods to become unstable and if not cared for properly it can cause a fallout leading to a meltdown.

The best way to fix this is by installing a hose to run from your AC vents and into the engine bay..

908ssp

Established Member
Changed to a 170 degree thermostat did lower cylinder head temperature about 10 degrees which seem logical as the thermostat that come out said 180 degree on it. I run a fan full time on my heat exchanger which probably helps but venting the hood also helps keep compartment temperature down. My IAT runs right around 10 degree over ambient.

P1010209_zps4l3utz7h.jpg

P1010202_zps3hcdjzoi.jpg

P1000779_zpsqrqdghhp.jpg

gqneon

Established Member
Mine will run about 10 degrees cooler also. It peaks just as high with heat soak, but cruising runs under 200 all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread