New 2014 GT500 owner looking for advice on bolt on mods.

Smoke92

Established Member
Hey guys, after owning a Terminator in the past, multiple SN95s and a S550, I recently purchased a 2014 GT500. So far all I’ve done to the car is an oil separator, FRPP intake tube, MGW shifter, and super snack axle backs. I also purchased an off road H pipe last fall but haven’t installed it yet. I’m wanting to add a little more power to it but nothing too crazy. I guess what I’m wondering is, is it worth it just doing a throttle body and tune and possibly the off road H? (Worried about it being too loud with the off road mid pipe.) I was also looking at the supercharger inlet elbow that VMP makes and was wondering if that makes much difference. I would also like to get some better tires but the car only has 4,000 miles on it so I’m wanting to get some more life out of the tires that on it now. Also, back in the day when I had my Terminator I ran torco in it since the best fuel we can get my area is 91 octane. Is torco still a good option or is there something better now? Sorry for all the questions, just kind of new to the GT500 platform. Thanks all.

Attachments

• B0CBD566-A681-4236-A8E2-00D1243ECDC8.jpeg
    B0CBD566-A681-4236-A8E2-00D1243ECDC8.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 147

railroad

Established Member
I was fortunate enough to have Revan put a kit together and accomplish nearly everything I wanted on my car.
The off road H and stock mufflers make a nice sounding car and not truck like.
If the 13-6 kit is not available, I am sure it can be individually sourced.
At the time, Van was available on the phone, just like your best mechanic buddy. He may still be. If the kit is available from him, its worth having him for help if needed.
The instructions were good, everything fit and everything worked. I did a few data logs for Lund and the rest is history.
Just a note, IMO, leave the factory heat exchanger in place. The fan assisted ones are not worth the trouble.
I have 93 octane, but still use some additive. While data logging the ECU was pulling timing. Van advised me it was probably bad gasoline. I had about 1/4 can of Torco and added it to the tank before the data log session. It stopped the negative timing. Lund made a comment about getting it cleared up.
Since, I buy VP octanium and have had good results with it.
I considered blending canned gasoline with the pump, but was advised by the dyno operator and Van, not the best idea. The dyno operator said the canned and pump would not stay blended and with an adaptive ecu, this was not good.
I figured their experience was more than mine and took the advise.
I am sure I forgetting something, but maybe I answered a few of your questions.
If your tires are the stock Goodyears, save yourself from a wreck and get them off the car. They are the worst tires I have have ever run. I am 72 years old.
My bolt ons are in my sig. If you have any questions, they are welcome.

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Many of us, including myself, slowly ascended the rungs of the ladder from Cobra days to the 13/14 Shelby.

My thoughts...

91 is going to limit you. I'll let others chime in on that. Also, your altitude being in Montana. @Norton can maybe talk tunes at higher elevations.

I would direct funds to;

Gears: 3:73s or 4:10s
Tires: Remove the Goodyears

Throttle body (65 or 67), JLT CAI, 2.4 Upper pulley, Idler Pulley, 170* thermostat, spark plugs
I did not need BAP's on 93 @ sea level

The rear suspension can be addressed too. But do tires before springs and suspension
You can look at my signature, I have the normal road traveled for everyday bolt ons. 93 Octane w/ 3:73 gears.

Don't bother with inlets and all that

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Hey guys, after owning a Terminator in the past, multiple SN95s and a S550, I recently purchased a 2014 GT500. So far all I’ve done to the car is an oil separator, FRPP intake tube, MGW shifter, and super snack axle backs. I also purchased an off road H pipe last fall but haven’t installed it yet. I’m wanting to add a little more power to it but nothing too crazy. I guess what I’m wondering is, is it worth it just doing a throttle body and tune and possibly the off road H? (Worried about it being too loud with the off road mid pipe.) I was also looking at the supercharger inlet elbow that VMP makes and was wondering if that makes much difference. I would also like to get some better tires but the car only has 4,000 miles on it so I’m wanting to get some more life out of the tires that on it now. Also, back in the day when I had my Terminator I ran torco in it since the best fuel we can get my area is 91 octane. Is torco still a good option or is there something better now? Sorry for all the questions, just kind of new to the GT500 platform. Thanks all.
352 800 4407 9a-5p eastern weekdays. I don't sell parts but I can tell you what works and why.

Venomous Tuning

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Welcome to the shelby club! Beautiful 2014 GT500 (y)....... Your in good hands. These SVTP guys know there stuff!!!

fearthesnake

Established Member
Many of us, including myself, slowly ascended the rungs of the ladder from Cobra days to the 13/14 Shelby.

My thoughts...

91 is going to limit you. I'll let others chime in on that. Also, your altitude being in Montana. @Norton can maybe talk tunes at higher elevations.

I would direct funds to;

Gears: 3:73s or 4:10s
Tires: Remove the Goodyears

Throttle body (65 or 67), JLT CAI, 2.4 Upper pulley, Idler Pulley, 170* thermostat, spark plugs
I did not need BAP's on 93 @ sea level

The rear suspension can be addressed too. But do tires before springs and suspension
You can look at my signature, I have the normal road traveled for everyday bolt ons. 93 Octane w/ 3:73 gears.

Don't bother with inlets and all that
This! Do gears like 3.73 and get some ToyoR888s or Nittos NT05s and call it a day with the exhaust upgrades.

What I know now, if I had only one mod would be gears. Car is an animal with Gears and Tires alone.

Pretty car and enjoy it, Congratulations.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Congrats & good luck with the 14, a color combo not seen too often.
Have a plan & a budget, what's the end goal for the car ?
3.73 / 4.10 gears will wake the car up, getting rid of the factory rubber is another +..

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Mods here include JLT 127mm CF CAI, CFM Twin Jet 67mm TB, VMP 2.4" Upper Pulley, 90mm Idler, BPS Oversized & Ported Plenum/Elbow, NGK TR7-IX plugs, VMP Triple-Pass Dual-Fan H/E, Reische 170' Tstat, and custom dyno tune by Elite Performance and Tuning in Littleton, CO. Exhaust remains stock.

View attachment 1735978
Look at that torque curve!
I’ve always thought @Norton GT500 is a perfect street build.
7000rwtq from 3000rpm at the hit that pulls clean to 7000rpm and a true manual at 3800#. Such a great street car.
Best starter mods:
4.10s and drag radials (3.73s only if non-DR)
Tune

Enjoy.
After those just follow @1Kona_Venom or @Norton builds.
Good luck.
Pics?
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
352 800 4407 9a-5p eastern weekdays. I don't sell parts but I can tell you what works and why.

Venomous Tuning

Great idea for anyone new to the platform or wanting to maximize a mod budget!
Still in Florida BJ?
Hope things are well
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
This! Do gears like 3.73 and get some ToyoR888s or Nittos NT05s and call it a day with the exhaust upgrades.

What I know now, if I had only one mod would be gears. Car is an animal with Gears and Tires alone.

Pretty car and enjoy it, Congratulations.
Amen brother. Preach :)
Don’t fear the gear ladies
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats & good luck with the 14, a color combo not seen too often.
Have a plan & a budget, what's the end goal for the car ?
3.73 / 4.10 gears will wake the car up, getting rid of the factory rubber is another +..
Just realized it was a blue stripe. That is a rare combo. Silver was rare then blue and Recaros. Very nice!
-J

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Mods here include JLT 127mm CF CAI, CFM Twin Jet 67mm TB, VMP 2.4" Upper Pulley, 90mm Idler, BPS Oversized & Ported Plenum/Elbow, NGK TR7-IX plugs, VMP Triple-Pass Dual-Fan H/E, Reische 170' Tstat, and custom dyno tune by Elite Performance and Tuning in Littleton, CO. Exhaust remains stock.

View attachment 1735978
Hey Norton , Im assuming your tuner adjusted your fan speeds around your Reische 170' Tstat. What kind of ECT/CHT temps are you data logging? Do you know your Fan settings? I want to install one and want to know if its worth it! Right now my current setup, my ECT runs between 180-185 F and my CHT is 215 F on 90-100 F degree days.

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Hey Norton , Im assuming your tuner adjusted you fan speeds around your Reische 170' Tstat. What kind of ECT/CHT temps are you data logging? Do you know your Fan settings? I want to install one and want to know if its worth it! Right now my current setup, my ECT runs between 180-185 F and my CHT is 215 F on 90-100 F degree days.
It's been several years since I installed the mods, had her tuned, and spent time logging. I don't recall what, if any, OEM fan speed adjustment he may have made. Since then, I focus more on AFR, IAT2, and ECT. As long as I'm moving, ECT remains comfortably below 180'F and IAT2 stays within ~30'F above ambient. (They climb back into "normal" ranges in stop & go traffic.) As I recall, CHT is pretty close to yours.

Heat soak during my racing experiences was the primary reason for my cooling mods. Before installing them, I could make only 1-2 laps before needing to shutdown and cool off to prevent power loss (from timing being pulled). Following the upgrades, I can hot-lap 3-4 times before needing to do so.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
It's been several years since I installed the mods, had her tuned, and spent time logging. I don't recall what, if any, OEM fan speed adjustment he may have made. Since then, I focus more on AFR, IAT2, and ECT. As long as I'm moving, ECT remains comfortably below 180'F and IAT2 stays within ~30'F above ambient. (They climb back into "normal" ranges in stop & go traffic.) As I recall, CHT is pretty close to yours.

Heat soak during my racing experiences was the primary reason for my cooling mods. Before installing them, I could make only 1-2 laps before needing to shutdown and cool off to prevent power loss (from timing being pulled). Following the upgrades, I can hot-lap 3-4 times before needing to do so.
Thanks Norton. Im sure its making a difference to some degree. I know the fan setting recommendations are a must to benefit most from the Reische 170' Tstat per Reische.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Great idea for anyone new to the platform or wanting to maximize a mod budget!
Still in Florida BJ?
Hope things are well
-J
Yup, hunkered her behind a laptop every day in the Sunshine State

For a 13-14 the only thing I recommended is

2.40 pulley
Bracketed idler
Cobra Jet 65 or VMP 67
JLT123
J&L Oil Separator (pax only)
Upgraded heat exchanger IF you spend a lot of time in heavy traffic or you are hammering on it for quarter mile or less
A custom tune.

That's it. I do a 7 or 8 a month and they all pick up 75-90 rwhp at sea level on 93.

Want more power? Add more octane and timing. More boost means more heat and pressure and less tolerance for fuel

Users who are viewing this thread