new 2014 5.0 owner first mods 400whp

mystickb1996

Established Member
hey guys, so i picked up a 2014 5.0 premium black coupe today! iv been looking to keep the miles on the cobra low so this is a great dayly driver and seems like it will keep me happy.. one thing i noticed is how quite ford made these 5.0s.. i know theres alot of info online about them but figured maybe someone could just help me.
looking to do a tune/intake/exhaust

im wondering what brand intake is the best JLT or Airaid? most hp? same for exhaust is brola a decent setup? as for tune im thinking a jon lund from leathal or is there a better one?
im trying to get 400whp and a nice reliable car.

thanks for any help or suggestions.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I would recommend airaid over JLT.

As far as a tuner, I use AED and Shaun's customer service is awesome. He does a great job tuning. I'd also recommend JPC too.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
hey guys, so i picked up a 2014 5.0 premium black coupe today! iv been looking to keep the miles on the cobra low so this is a great dayly driver and seems like it will keep me happy.. one thing i noticed is how quite ford made these 5.0s.. i know theres alot of info online about them but figured maybe someone could just help me.
looking to do a tune/intake/exhaust

im wondering what brand intake is the best JLT or Airaid? most hp? same for exhaust is brola a decent setup? as for tune im thinking a jon lund from leathal or is there a better one?
im trying to get 400whp and a nice reliable car.

thanks for any help or suggestions.

Use the search function, there's tons and tons of info on the subjects in which you are interested. Basically, it all boils down to what parts you like the best, they all give around the same results. As far as tune, search function is your friend. Research the tuners you have in mind before putting anything into your car. Trusting someone to tune your engine is like trusting a doctor with your life! The quickest route to your goals are: off road h/x pipe, cai, tune, and exhaust of your choice. There are several out there that sound really nice. Suspension will help to utilize the power. Are you auto or manual?

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
JLT oil separator (must), Airaid cai, cat deletes (do not get BBK's), Borla S axle backs and AED tune. Those mods are easily obtainable and Shaun will get you dialed in fast.

OneSlowV

Established Member
I run the bama 93oct hybrid tune , steeda intake and did the barton shifter. I'm more than happy with the car power wise.

mystickb1996

Established Member
Manual.. Also I found a magnaflow street axleback and x pipe for a good price. Is 2011 and 2014 all the same fitment? So I'm thinking the x with the axle back and airaid intake and then I need a tune, will this net. 400whp? I have advantage 3 software just haven't tuned a 5.0 or a n/a engine before so would like to buy one.

specizripn

Established Member
Manual.. Also I found a magnaflow street axleback and x pipe for a good price. Is 2011 and 2014 all the same fitment? So I'm thinking the x with the axle back and airaid intake and then I need a tune, will this net. 400whp? I have advantage 3 software just haven't tuned a 5.0 or a n/a engine before so would like to buy one.

Does this mean you will be tuning it yourself? Keep in mind the coyote is very different than most other motors. The VCT and tables will be much different. If you want to get the most out of it and do a good tune, make sure you do your research, because a lot of people who jumped right in on tuning the platform are struggling. :beer:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
400 rwhp is pretty easy to get with these cars with minimal mods.

1) Custom tune by AED, JPC, VMP, Lund, many more
2) Delete cats (either by full off-road midpipe, or cat deletes) Jegs and Steeda are the best delete pipes.
3) Airaid, JLT, or Steeda CAI
4) Your choice of axlebacks. You can do a full catback, that might help you pick up some more TQ, but how much is debatable.

mystickb1996

Established Member
We'll I bought the exhaust part today. Ordered magnaflow street axle back and their off road x pipe.. I hope it sounds good! For tuning I understand this 5.0 is way different then my 4.6 cobra motor. So I will be finding someone for tuning as I'm leaning towards aed . Also being my first new car that I spent this much on I'm leaving it to the pros.

kingcobra323

Established Member
I like the airaid intake. As for jegs cat deletes they are great. Call tuem and give them summit racings part number and Jegs will match it which is like $104+tax

Posted via Topify using Android

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
I like the airaid intake. As for jegs cat deletes they are great. Call tuem and give them summit racings part number and Jegs will match it which is like $104+tax

Posted via Topify using Android

he wont need cat deletes now with an offroad x pipe. Op, do not put those parts on until you absolutely have the tune in hand and ready to go on before you ever start the car with mods.

KonaFifty

Established Member
he wont need cat deletes now with an offroad x pipe. Op, do not put those parts on until you absolutely have the tune in hand and ready to go on before you ever start the car with mods.

if he is going with aed for the tune, shaun will need him to have everything on for the datalog. you can drive around without cats and no tune if you dont beat on it.

sneaky94cobra

Established Member
Good luck with your setup

I would suggest a nice x-pipe with decent mufflers and a JLT with a SCT tuner. Mail order tunes are cool but I took mine to a respected local tuner and had great results See Sig. Good luck.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
CAI, cat deletes x pipe, JPC tune. Call Tommy, Eric or Arron 1-866-JPC-RACE. You can ask for Justin too but he's usually tied up in the back tuning cars.

Last edited:

mystickb1996

Established Member
So now I'm confused. Your saying to delete the cats I have to have a tune? I thought if I still put in the rear o2s in the car would run fine. On any of my other cars I never needed a tune for deleting the cats. Thanks for all the help on this guys

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
So now I'm confused. Your saying to delete the cats I have to have a tune? I thought if I still put in the rear o2s in the car would run fine. On any of my other cars I never needed a tune for deleting the cats. Thanks for all the help on this guys

Yes, you need a tune with a cat delete. Otherwise, you won't recognize the performance gain from deleting them and you'll also throw a CEL.

Users who are viewing this thread