New 2011 5.0 or used GT500

riche

Established Member
What to do??? Looking to sell a car of mine and pick up a new stang. What seams to be a better option? A new 5.0 GT or a few year old GT500. Since I have not driven either, any advice would be great.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
whats your goal for the car? daily driver? weekend cruiser? track car?

riche

Established Member
Car won't be driven all that much, just some weekends. If I go the 5.0 route it will get a blower, that is why I am thinking GT500 and then upgrade it. I guess I am a little worried about the new motor with a power adder and the Gt500 seems to be able to handle the high hp.

TorchMach

Established Member
The new 5.0 has a blower option from ford which gives like 625hp or 525 and wont void the warranty

That option is the 525hp with a 12/12 warranty and at the 625hp no warranty. Also for the price ford is offering that supercharger make's no sense against modding the GT500.

If your intentions are to put a blower on it, why go for a weaker motor then a GT500 motor which I'm sure everyone agrees handles more horsepower.

If your not planning to mod it much :rollseyes I say test drive both and see which you favor more.

exdeath

Established Member
If you are going to boost it, you shouldn't even be asking this question. GT500 all the way. But feel free to run 20 psi through a stock 5.0 and please do keep a camera in the glove box and post back with the results.

Last edited:

TermNewb

Banned
What to do??? Looking to sell a car of mine and pick up a new stang. What seams to be a better option? A new 5.0 GT or a few year old GT500. Since I have not driven either, any advice would be great.

I would get the new 2011 GT. It has a warranty and handles better than the older style GT500s. If you get the Brembo kit option I would guess it stops better too, but am not 100% sure. They compared the handling on the new GT to the 2011 M3. For drag racing I'd imagine a few little mods here and there and it would turn into a beast. Its already in the 12s stock.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hands down the GT500 is the better choice if you're wanting a blower. Other than that, the two cars are close enough to make it more a preference for the styling/features offered with both.

If you're just going to be doing some occasional weekend cruising, buy the car you like the most based on the exterior/interior design, overall road feel, and performance for what you're going to be needing. Question, though. Are you intending to drag race the car? If not, why the need for a blower? If you will be doing some occasional drag racing and want a blower, as noted in posts above, the 5.0 stock engine isn't going to be able to handle anywhere near the boost of the 5.4 in the GT500. In the end that might be a limitation you wished you considered before buying a GT. You're just going to have to try to drive both cars, consider carefully what you really want to do with the car, and buy the one that best meets your needs. Best of luck.

XtraTQ

Established Member
If it's just going to be a weekend cruiser, I'd go with the GT500.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
I would get the new 2011 GT. It has a warranty and handles better than the older style GT500s. If you get the Brembo kit option I would guess it stops better too, but am not 100% sure. They compared the handling on the new GT to the 2011 M3. For drag racing I'd imagine a few little mods here and there and it would turn into a beast. Its already in the 12s stock.

If they compared the new GT to a E90 M3 handling wise that is very impressive. The new M3 sticks to the road like a mountain goat.

I say go for the GT500, they are proven to handle big numbers and we all know that no matter how much we say we won't mod the crap out of them...we always do!

03dsgdreams

Established Member
I just seen a 10 gt500 for sale on eBay last night. Black, stripe delete, hid's. Only 10000 miles for $40,000, don't sound bad to me, sucks the 10 don't have the aluminum block.

Users who are viewing this thread