New 03 cobra owner.. And your help

johnnybusa

Established Member
HEY GUYS JUST PICK UP A 03 COBRA USED WITH 70,000 MILES WELL THE CAR IS IN GOOD CONDITION BUT WHEN I BOUGHT IT AND DROVE BACK HOME THERE WAS A SMELL LIKE IF THE CAR WAS HOT THEN THERE WAS A SQUEAKING NOISE GOING ON SO I PULLED OVER BUT IT WAS STILL DOING IT BUT IT STOP WHEN I PULL THE CLUTCH IN SO I TOOK OFF. AND AS SOON AS I WAS GETTING TO MY HOUSE THE CLUTHCH PETAL GOT REAL LOOSE THAT IT DIDN'T GET NO GEARS I THINK AND HOPE IT'S JUST THE CLUTCH WELL...QUESTION I GOT FOR YOU IS WHATS THE BEST CLUTCH FOR IT AND WERE THE BEST PLACE TO GET IT FROM...THANKS JOHNNY:shrug:

KILRSVT

Established Member
i got a spec 3 driveability is real good. if i were you i would get a clutch cable as well.
check to see if your cable snap it sounds like it since you have no resistance any way good luck. congrats on the cobra.maybe that smell was the clutch.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Yes I'm w him.. clutch worn out, tob squeaking, and cable prob broken. Spec 3+ here w the other lil tricks like a clutch quadrant and firewall adj., a shifter. A worn stock clutch will break a cable in time as I know. Lethal performance is a good place, they know cobras...

Last edited:

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
Yes I'm w him.. clutch worn out, tob squeaking, and cable prob broken. Spec 3+ here w the other lil tricks like a clutch quadrant and firewall adj., a shifter. A worn stock clutch will break a cable in time as I know. Lethal performance is a good place, they know cobras...

^^^ What he said ;-)

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
HEY GUYS JUST PICK UP A 03 COBRA USED WITH 70,000 MILES WELL THE CAR IS IN GOOD CONDITION BUT WHEN I BOUGHT IT AND DROVE BACK HOME THERE WAS A SMELL LIKE IF THE CAR WAS HOT THEN THERE WAS A SQUEAKING NOISE GOING ON SO I PULLED OVER BUT IT WAS STILL DOING IT BUT IT STOP WHEN I PULL THE CLUTCH IN SO I TOOK OFF. AND AS SOON AS I WAS GETTING TO MY HOUSE THE CLUTHCH PETAL GOT REAL LOOSE THAT IT DIDN'T GET NO GEARS I THINK AND HOPE IT'S JUST THE CLUTCH WELL...QUESTION I GOT FOR YOU IS WHATS THE BEST CLUTCH FOR IT AND WERE THE BEST PLACE TO GET IT FROM...THANKS JOHNNY:shrug:

Why are you yelling?

trmin8ter03

Established Member
Your tob when out and broke the tob sleeve. Your clutch is probably still ok(my tob went out at 93K the clutch still looked good) and has some life left but if your going to do any mods to up the hp youll need to upgrade the clutch and now would be a perfect time. Since the tranny is coming out might as well upgrade to a 26 spline input shaft. I went with a spec stage 3+. It is awesome i have about 1500 miles on it now, it now feels just like the stock one the chatter is really bad at first but gone now.

johnnybusa

Established Member
Your tob when out and broke the tob sleeve. Your clutch is probably still ok(my tob went out at 93K the clutch still looked good) and has some life left but if your going to do any mods to up the hp youll need to upgrade the clutch and now would be a perfect time. Since the tranny is coming out might as well upgrade to a 26 spline input shaft. I went with a spec stage 3+. It is awesome i have about 1500 miles on it now, it now feels just like the stock one the chatter is really bad at first but gone now.

Do you think that spec 3+ is to much for my cobra its all stock ...what is that 26 spine input shaft ...sorry for the dum question this is my first time owning one of this cars don't know crap about them but im very excited..:rockon:

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Do you think that spec 3+ is to much for my cobra its all stock ...what is that 26 spine input shaft ...sorry for the dum question this is my first time owning one of this cars don't know crap about them but im very excited..:rockon:

I'm excited for you too, but why buy if you appear to have NO idea about them? The internet is a wonderful resource where you can spend hours and hours just reading and researching to get your basic questions answered. A search here wouldn't hurt either as you can imagine clutch questions have been asked a million times.

To your question - in my opinion the stock clutch is a perfectly fine replacement, especially if you're all stock. I would say upgrade to something like the stage 3 only if you go to a TS. It won't hurt to get one now, I'm just saying it's not necessary.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
True stock is good, smooth right away too, but if in traffic all the time or a weak left foot like mine is, your foot and leg will thank you. Or spray it, etc. etc. Stock is cheaper also and have the flywheel resurfaced if not cracked. Yea the t56 tob sleeve breaks on these, lethal performance has a good replacement version. Lil nickel neverseize on the tob sleeve also like you do a t5.

Btw I really like the new upr clickstop firewall adj. and their quick quad. Shifts faster and does not loosen up. Fiore is very good also. They are almost the same thing. Lethal has a quick quad w the fiore adj. Key word, click lock. I always was adj. my old one as it got loose even w a double nut. The upr matched my sonic blue color pretty good, why I got that.

MUSTANG-UPR Products.com
MUSTANG-UPR Products.com
Fiore Micro-Click Firewall Adj. w/Steeda Quick Release Quadrant [555-7006+MC100] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

TermySnake

Established Member
Congrats!:rockon: Post pics of her? I suggest that you upgrade now! this is your opportunity to make you tranny more solid & reliable, First get these Parts so it can help you:Clutch Cable Firewall Adjuster & Clutch Quadrant & don't forget to buy the LDC freeplay Clutch Spring!, these parts will give you a better clutch pedal fell, better clutch adjustment, increase the life of your clutch (i Highly Recommend these parts). :thumbsup:

Get an aftermarket clutch w/the 26 Spline Input Shaft (the stock 10 spline input shaft will handle up to 500 rwhp, the 26 can handle up to 800hp) while you can, you will regret it in the long run. also upgrade that lousy TOB (Throw Out Bearing) & it's sleeve.

get the FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts) TOB & while you at it.. buy lethal TOB sleeve ..... Now you will have one tough Transmission, it will handle any thing you throw at it. (Including Track passes). :-D

All u need now is to buy a MGW Shifter w/CobraBob gasket. :D

:read: That's what i would do when i drop my tranny. :rollseyes

Hope i helped!. :beer:

EDIT: Here you Go! Transmission : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Users who are viewing this thread