Never ending need to Burp

Sielmo

Established Member
Bottom line, I continually have to burp my Intercooler pump to restart it. Its a weekly ritual and I've double checked for leaks and proper fluid levels. I installed the AFCO HE last July however, I noticed evidence in the stock HE that this may have been occurring before. The IC fluid is 100% water. Here are my theories and welcome your feedback in solving this issue:

Theory 1: Stock IC reservoir is too small as the high flowing/ high temperature water causes bubbling. Periodic reservoir cap removal results in a mild hissing noise, ie release of gasses.
Solution: Upgrade to the 3X larger reservoir.
Rebuttal: If this is the cause then all stock intercooler reservoirs would be prone to the same issues.

Theory 2: Using 100% water over 50/50 blend causes more bubbling due to the agitation of the circulating water.
Solution: Change fluid to a 50/50 blend.
Rebuttal: Water allows for better heat transfer over radiator fluid therefore, lower temperatures. Plus, I haven't read anything related to this issue.

Thank you for your suggestions and insights.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I would try to check for any suction side restrictions to the pump: kinks, foreign objects, etc. Make sure that you don't have any U-bends in the suction line that could collect air and make the pump lose prime.

A 20% glycol mixture would give you significantly higher boil over protection and sufficient freeze protection, but I seriously doubt that is the problem. 50/50 isn't necessary unless you live in Alaska.

Lastly you could pull the pump and try to visually inspect the impeller for damage or some foreign object (plastic, goop, etc).

I assume that you have jumpered the pump relay for testing?

Sielmo

Established Member
I would try to check for any suction side restrictions to the pump: kinks, foreign objects, etc. Make sure that you don't have any U-bends in the suction line that could collect air and make the pump lose prime.

A 20% glycol mixture would give you significantly higher boil over protection and sufficient freeze protection, but I seriously doubt that is the problem. 50/50 isn't necessary unless you live in Alaska.

Lastly you could pull the pump and try to visually inspect the impeller for damage or some foreign object (plastic, goop, etc).

I assume that you have jumpered the pump relay for testing?

Thank you for your reply.
I'll double check for suction line kinks although with the several "burps" done in the past, I'd wonder if there is "new" air being introduced.

I have a jumper cable that allows me to test and trouble shoot without running up to temperature.

This is a brand new pump (failed to mention, also purchased in July) but its worthwhile to pull apart and check..May have some debris.

I'm not sure if its likely that "new air" could be introduced at the main intercooler (under the SC). I did install a TVS earlier in the year.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
It would seem to me that if you burp it and you end up with air back in the system, you're intercooler reservoir isn't filled high enough to eliminate it sucking air back into the system. I fill mine just below the line for the black top.

Imatk

Established Member
How did you burp it?

I tried every way I could think of when I installed my HE and it never got all the air out.

The only thing that actually worked was pulling the lower HE hose and waiting for it to start draining.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Fill a clear glass with water.
Heat it up in the microwave.
See the bubbles forming on the glass?
Let it cool off.
See the bubbles still forming on the glass as it cools?

1) Your cooling is too inefficient to run straight water.
2) Use a 90/10 or 80/20 water to antifreeze blend instead.

Sielmo

Established Member
Thank you for all the helpful information. I have just flushed the system, added 80/20 blend, and burped. All is running as advertised and I'll monitor to see if further steps are needed. (Airlock purge kit)

Users who are viewing this thread