Network cable testing

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a network cable drop in almost every room of my new house with all of them originating in a closet. I want to test all of them to make sure they go where they are labeled and just make sure they are functional. I don't have and internet service provider yet, so I guess it would be some type of continuity type test.

Is anyone familiar with doing something like that? What is needed to do it?

If they are all good I want to have my internet "in" located in the closet along with the router so it's all out of the way.

Thanks for any info.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Something simple like this will do the trick. It won't do any speed testing, but will verify continuity on all terminations.

https://www.amazon.com/Tonor-RJ45-N...1493732389&sr=8-3&keywords=cat+5+cable+tester
unless both ends of the cable have RJ45 connectors on them, that will not work. My bet is that the closet end is a punch down in which case you will need a more expensive set that includes an attachement with alligaor clips.

OP there is a hub/router in the closet it should have lights indicating port activity. just plug a computer into the port in the room, turn it on, then go look at the hub and see which port is lit up. you are not going to hurt anything by doing it this way and you don't need to spend any money on something you will use once

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
https://www.amazon.com/Vastar-Netwo...&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=network+tool+kit&psc=1

Cheap network install setup. Generally not good for commercial work, but OK for homeowner stuff.

I've got a different one from MP, and it works fine.

Oh, and if you've never terminated Cat cable, do yourself a favor and look into RJ45 ez connections. (different crimper, or you can manually cut the fingers off)

51bnfxSL9WL._AC_US218_.jpg

Cheap Monoprice switch; https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10927 These can be had for $5.99 sometimes. Always buy 2, and even though I've never had one fail, I don't use them in critical locations.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
read the OP. his network is already set up. he is just trying to verify that the labels are correct. no need for any of this stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Vastar-Netwo...&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=network+tool+kit&psc=1

Cheap network install setup. Generally not good for commercial work, but OK for homeowner stuff.

I've got a different one from MP, and it works fine.

Oh, and if you've never terminated Cat cable, do yourself a favor and look into RJ45 ez connections. (different crimper, or you can manually cut the fingers off)

51bnfxSL9WL._AC_US218_.jpg

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
read the OP. his network is already set up. he is just trying to verify that the labels are correct. no need for any of this stuff

I did read it.

This is one way to verify wires to and from, and to be prepared to trouble shoot things should there be problems.

Undoubtedly (since you read it better) your way would be better.

He didn't mention testing or verification in his post...So you're right.

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
If the cables are terminated on a punch down a simple fox and hound could tell OP where things are. Just looked them up and they're not "cheap"...

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
If the cables are terminated on a punch down a simple fox and hound could tell OP where things are. Just looked them up and they're not "cheap"...

Yah, they're not giving them away. He asked about continuity, if I didn't have any things above, I have a connector and a jack that have all connections shorted. Using them where appropriate, an Ohmmeter can verify continuity, but not pinout. My suggestion (and one above, but 'he doesn't need that stuff') would verify pinout. -And distance, if it's an advanced tester-

Machdup1

Established Member
unless both ends of the cable have RJ45 connectors on them, that will not work. My bet is that the closet end is a punch down in which case you will need a more expensive set that includes an attachement with alligaor clips.

OP there is a hub/router in the closet it should have lights indicating port activity. just plug a computer into the port in the room, turn it on, then go look at the hub and see which port is lit up. you are not going to hurt anything by doing it this way and you don't need to spend any money on something you will use once
This. Function testing costs you nothing but time.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Here is what the closet looks like. Been to busy to mess with it this weekend. Got the internet hooked up Friday.

View attachment 89770

I was curious why you'd be worried about the cables working when you first posted this thread, but with this picture I now understand. That is probably the worst new construction cabling job I've ever seen.

Edit: I just assumed from your initial post that it was a new construction. Maybe it's not?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yikes! That is definitely a mess. Reminds me of our old phone cable box at our church. Wires everywhere and we never knew what was "good" and what wires were disconnected and no longer used. I totally understand and appreciate your concern. This is why I love my Eero wireless setup at home. Best network investment I've made. Although I understand why some prefer a wired network.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
The house was built in 2000. We just bought the house at the end of Feb. and are just now getting in after some paint and flooring work.

My main problem is that I don't know how those blocks work. I'm assuming that they act as a switch and so I only have to plug in once cable to the router that would then power the entire switch. The cables going into the block are tagged for the room they go to.

I'm just excited to have the house wired already, I can try to clean up the mess. Spaghetti wires drive me nuts too.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
My money says the top box is your network, the others look like they are probably phones but it is hard to tell. The coax is obviously your TV. With that mess and your skill level you would probably be money ahead to pay a network guy a couple hundred to come in and figure it out for you.

What provider are you using and are they the only choice? If they are they may be able to tell you.

The house was built in 2000. We just bought the house at the end of Feb. and are just now getting in after some paint and flooring work.

My main problem is that I don't know how those blocks work. I'm assuming that they act as a switch and so I only have to plug in once cable to the router that would then power the entire switch. The cables going into the block are tagged for the room they go to.

I'm just excited to have the house wired already, I can try to clean up the mess. Spaghetti wires drive me nuts too.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I had comcast internet turned on Friday. He said that he didn't know what to do with the panel, but the modem and router were connected and working.

I have a friend that's in IT doing network stuff, but he is out of town a lot for work.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Looks like a basic network tester will work since you have RJ45 at each end. On a side note I just renovated my entire house and not one network drop. 5G N/AC wireless is pretty impressive these days.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
my house was built in 2010 and i ran CAT6 lines to every smart tv and computer in the house.. Amazon has some slim (orange) CAT6 lines and you can get the dual female RJ45 couplers that are real easy to use. i mounted my router and modem to the wall and used colored CAT6 to identify which room the line goes to.. if i remember, i'll take a picture when i get home.. im no expert, but i wanted to make sure the TVs weren't competing for Wifi with wireless devices, not to mention it's faster.

Users who are viewing this thread