Net Neutrality Is Getting Replealed

Blown 89

Established Member
Okay, get off here and live for a week with no internet.

and I mean NO internet. No forums, Googling, streaming, nothing. Post back and let us know how that goes.
Pretty much. Internet has reached a point where it's a necessity IMO. Without it my company it toast. We literally do 99.9% of our business off the net. We rely on it for phones, communication, advertising, book keeping...you name it. You cannot compete in a global business world without it anymore.

At home I would survive but it wouldn't be great. I don't think people realize how important the internet is. The entire world relies on it at this point.

bglf83

Established Member
Pretty much. Internet has reached a point where it's a necessity IMO. Without it my company it toast. We literally do 99.9% of our business off the net. We rely on it for phones, communication, advertising, book keeping...you name it. You cannot compete in a global business world without it anymore.

At home I would survive but it wouldn't be great. I don't think people realize how important the internet is. The entire world relies on it at this point.
Does not make it a right. It's a cost of doing business.

I need gas to go to work, it's not a right.

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
Maybe innovation in network infrastructure will improve if network providers can charge as they see fit and as the market will bear. How can a network service provider justify investing in a data/bandwidth delivery innovation that gives it first-mover advantage in the market, while regulation prohibits the service provider from also charging a higher price to the willing, early adopters of the service?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Gravik

Established Member
Is heroin a life necessity? To an addict yes it is. If you are addicted to the internet you would say the same and be just as wrong. It is not a life necessity or human right.

It is an enjoyable and useful service worth paying for.
Any civilized country needs the internet to function.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Rights do not typically cost other people money which I assume is what you want when you call it a right.

Amazing huh, no one wants the government intervening until it negatively effects them even to the detriment of someone or something else. The simple fact is the government allowed our money to help fund this infrastructure and wanted to attach strings after the fact. The problem with giving any government entity this type of power, chiefly the FCC, is they can continue to impose more strings down the line.

Blown 89

Established Member

It's not a right but it's something the government needs to do if they want its economy to stay completive. There's a long term goal here. We do have a right to pursue success and happiness unimpeded.

If the government taxes your gas costs into oblivion they need to provide you alternative methods to get to work. They can't create a problem and not give you an alternative. Government overregulation caused the cable companies to divvy this country up and create mini monopolies so nobody should be shocked that is citizens are looking to them to break them up. The government has nueterred is the power we have through the legal system and now that we don't have any actual power to fight back don't act surprised that we're all looking to the governed to fix it. Either give us the power to fight or fix the problem.

Kevins89notch

Established Member

Ok, and the reason we have net neutrality, Netflix has their own internet. You pay for high speed, unlimited internet. Comcast was throttling your netflix unless they agreed to basically pay a bribe. That's not Neflix's issue. You already paid for the high speed. Netflix doesn't have any service with Comcast. It's like your home state sending Ford a bill saying there's too many Fords on the roads, and the roads need repairs. WTF...NO!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

Meh. That article was written with a heavy slant toward big business and anti-government. The author is not up to speed on what net neutrality really is/means and has a very myopic view of it. From the tone of the article, it seems pretty clear that he is one of those people who believe "trickle down economics" is a real thing. If ISPs are allowed to run roughshot all over the service, the only thing that's going to trickle down is the cost of them charging content providers more money for using their service.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I currently do not subscribe to any streaming service but found out Comcast owns part of HULU. If net neutrality gets repealed I get the feeling I'll be subscribing to some sort of streaming service since the ISP's will more than likely throttle/block most of the sites I currently use to stream. I'd more than likely go with Netflix as the service of choice but Comcast will more than likely throttle the streaming of Netflix too and not HULU since they have stake in HULU.

I looked into what other ISP's we have here. To the ones saying there will be other providers, look at this....So basically it's ATT or Comcast. lol @ 15 and 16 Mbps.
ISP providers.JPG

hoamskilet

Established Member
Well no matter what happens, price increases are going to trickle down to the end users. Do you think as more and more people cut the cord and Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon eat up exponentially more and more bandwidth requiring millions upon millions of dollars in upgrades to support it and the isp's are just gonna roll over and eat that cost? At some point they're just gonna say **** it and you'll see data caps become more popular and/or the monthly payments to subscribers is going to go up

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Well no matter what happens, price increases are going to trickle down to the end users. Do you think as more and more people cut the cord and Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon eat up exponentially more and more bandwidth requiring millions upon millions of dollars in upgrades to support it and the isp's are just gonna roll over and eat that cost? At some point they're just gonna say **** it and you'll see data caps become more popular and/or the monthly payments to subscribers is going to go up

I'm not concerned about the monthly price. My issue is the ISP being about to stop me from going to certain sites or charging extra to visit certain (foreign)sites/use streaming services. If I am paying $70 a month I should be able to visit whatever site I want.

Just imagine this. I pay Comcast $70/m, cool. Oh, you want to use our service for Netflix? That'll be another $5-$10 a month and then Netflix still charges their monthly fee. I bet they're going to charge extra to visit social media sites too, Youtube, IG, Twitter, Facebook, and SVTP.

SirShaun

Established Member
Google should do a gofundme to finish running fiber everywhere, we all pitch in, and never deal with these ass hats ever again. I'd use Net Neutrality as a selling point.

hoamskilet

Established Member
I'm not concerned about the monthly price. My issue is the ISP being about to stop me from going to certain sites or charging extra to visit certain (foreign)sites/use streaming services. If I am paying $70 a month I should be able to visit whatever site I want.

Just imagine this. I pay Comcast $70/m, cool. Oh, you want to use our service for Netflix? That'll be another $5-$10 a month and then Netflix still charges their monthly fee. I bet they're going to charge extra to visit social media sites too, Youtube, IG, Twitter, Facebook, and SVTP.
This is what leads me to think the use of data caps will expand. Right or wrong, the reasoning behind it will be they can keep the base price of access to the internet low, you can access whatever you want, and if you want to use boat loads of data you're more than welcome to, but you're going to pay for it

Users who are viewing this thread