Net Neutrality Is Getting Replealed

Gravik

Established Member
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/technology/fcc-net-neutrality.html

The Federal Communications Commission released a plan on Tuesday to dismantle landmark regulations that ensure equal access to the internet, clearing the way for internet service companies to charge users more to see certain content and to curb access to some websites.

The proposal, made by the F.C.C. chairman, Ajit Pai, is a sweeping repeal of rules put in place by the Obama administration. The rules prohibit high-speed internet service providers, or I.S.P.s, from stopping or slowing down the delivery of websites. They also prevent the companies from charging customers extra fees for high-quality streaming and other services.

The announcement set off a fight over free speech and the control of the internet, pitting telecom titans like AT&T and Verizon against internet giants like Google and Amazon. The internet companies warned that rolling back the rules could make the telecom companies powerful gatekeepers to information and entertainment. The telecom companies say that the existing rules prevent them from offering customers a wider selection of services at higher and lower price points.

“Under my proposal, the federal government will stop micromanaging the internet,” Mr. Pai said in a statement. “Instead, the F.C.C. would simply require internet service providers to be transparent about their practices so that consumers can buy the service plan that’s best for them.”

Mr. Pai, a Republican who has pursued an aggressive deregulation agenda, was widely expected to have his plan approved during a meeting on Dec. 14. The two other Republicans on the commission generally vote with Mr. Pai, giving them a majority over the two Democrats.

Continue reading the main story

Advertisement

Telecom and internet companies are expected to lobby hard in Washington — and directly to the public — as they did when the current rules were adopted.

Some internet companies were expected to put up a fight to prevent the proposal from taking hold. The Internet Association, an industry group, joined a legal effort in 2015 to protect the existing rules. The agency has already received 20 million public comments, many of them in opposition of changing the rules, since Mr. Pai announced the broad outlines of his thinking early this year.

The big companies that provide internet access to phones and computers have fought for years against broadband regulations. Under the new plan, broadband providers will be able to block access, slow down or speed up service for its business partners in some cases — as long as they notify customers.

“This action will return broadband in the U.S. to a regulatory regime that emphasizes private investment and innovation over lumbering government intervention,” said Joan Marsh, a vice president at AT&T.

Big online companies like Google and Facebook say the repeal proposal would allow telecom companies to play favorites by charging customers for accessing some sites or by slowing speeds to others. The existing rules were written to prevent such arrangements, adopting a policy often called net neutrality.

“We are disappointed that the proposal announced today by the F.C.C. fails to maintain the strong net neutrality protections that will ensure the internet remains open for everyone,” Erin Egan, a vice president at Facebook, said in a statement. “We will work with all stakeholders committed to this principle.”

Small online companies believe the proposal would hurt innovation, because telecom companies could force them to pay more for the faster connections. Only the largest companies, they say, would be able to afford the expense of making sure their sites received preferred treatment. Companies like Etsy and Pinterest, for example, credit their start to the promise of free and open access on the internet.

And consumers, the online companies say, may see their costs go up if, for example, they want high-quality access to popular websites like Netflix, a company that depends on fast connections for its streaming videos. Netflix said on Tuesday that it opposed Mr. Pai’s proposal.

Photo
21NETNEUTRALITY-master315.jpg

Ajit Pai, the Federal Communications Commission chairman. Credit Eric Thayer for The New York Times
The action “represents the end of net neutrality as we know it and defies the will of millions of Americans,” said Michael Beckerman, chief executive of the Internet Association, a lobbying group that represents Google, Facebook, Amazon and other tech companies.

Mr. Pai said the current rules had been adopted to stop only theoretical harm. He said the rules limit consumer choice because telecom companies cannot offer different tiers of service, for example. As a result, he said, internet service companies cannot experiment with new business models that could help them compete with online businesses like Netflix, Google and Facebook.

“It’s depressed investment in building and expanding broadband networks and deterred innovation,” Mr. Pai said Tuesday.

Newsletter Sign Up
Interested in All Things Tech?
The daily Bits newsletter will keep you updated on the latest from Silicon Valley and the technology industry, plus exclusive analysis from our reporters and editors.

You agree to receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services.

Comcast, one of the country’s biggest broadband companies, said it would not slow websites that contain legally permitted material.

“We do not and will not block, throttle, or discriminate against lawful content — and we will be transparent with our customers about these policies,” the company said.

In a call with reporters, F.C.C. officials said the blocking and slowing of some content could be seen as anticompetitive. Those practices, they said, would be policed by the Federal Trade Commission or the Justice Department.

The plan to repeal the existing rules, passed in 2015, would reverse a hallmark decision by the agency to consider broadband a public utility, as essential as phones and electricity. The earlier decision created the legal foundation for the current rules and underscored the importance of high-speed internet service. It was put in place by Tom Wheeler, an F.C.C. chairman under President Obama.

Mr. Pai, who was appointed chairman by President Trump in January, has eliminated numerous regulations during his first year.

The agency has stripped down rules governing television broadcasters, newspapers and telecom companies that were meant to protect the public interest. On Tuesday, in addition to the net neutrality rollback, Mr. Pai announced a plan to eliminate a rule limiting any corporation from controlling broadcasts that can reach more than 39 percent of American homes.

The fight over net neutrality could end up being one of his biggest and most fraught decisions. For more than a decade, the agency has struggled with how to regulate internet service, leading to extended legal battles. The rules adopted under Mr. Wheeler were upheld in 2016 by a federal appeals court in Washington.

The proposal released on Tuesday will probably make its way to court as well. And companies like Google and Facebook are expected to push the public to speak out against the plan. They coordinated a huge online protest against the possible changes in July.

Some of the lobbying could take place in Congress, even though it may change little because Republicans control both houses. Nevertheless, Democrats have vowed to try to reconstruct the strict rules adopted by the F.C.C. in 2015.

The next three weeks promise to hold intense lobbying from both sides, but that might not be the end of it. The regulation of internet providers has already swung once on a change in the Oval Office.

“As good as the F.C.C.’s action is for I.S.P.s, it only assures nonregulation of broadband through 2020,” said Paul Gallant, an analyst at the research firm Cowen.

spectreman

Established Member
IMHO, this is much ado about nothing. Let's remember, net neutrality has only been in effect for a short period of time. This was another government power grab during- no surprise- the Obama adminstration.

And if it drives the left nutz, then it's all good for me.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
That's right. Deregulate that crap.

This generation needs to get a taste of what we got from AT&T and Enron.

mariusvt

Established Member
My only issue here is the isp companies that have implemented data caps already could shrink them and then exempt their own content. The result is that while not throttling any other content they limit your ability to use it.

T.Man

Established Member
"Net Neutrality" is absolute garbage and I'm happy to see it go. It's the exact opposite of which the name implies. Of course there is going to be a massive revolt against the repeal of it. The large companies that benefited will of course put up quite a fight in the form of propaganda.

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
Why conflate Enron & Worldcom’s accounting fraud with net neutrality?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Good, force more companies to create their own services in house which should loosen the stranglehold that the telecom companies have. Prices should eventually drop accordingly with the competition. Let’s be honest with ourselves, the government could **** up a wet dream. Just look how well that same line of thinking worked with the ACA, everybody gets equal treatment and bam the prices are up 50-80% in just 3 years.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
IMHO, this is much ado about nothing. Let's remember, net neutrality has only been in effect for a short period of time. This was another government power grab during- no surprise- the Obama adminstration.

And if it drives the left nutz, then it's all good for me.

Until your internet service costs and fees go through the roof, and you can only stream one movie per week before getting hit with overage charges. My household streams hundreds of gigs of data through our ISP each month. I can't even imagine what the fees would be like for "tiered service" for that amount of data. Look at what cell companies charge just for a handful of gigs of data. Those same cell companies are the ones lobbying against net neutrality, and you're onboard with this? There's a reason AT&T keeps trying to buy Time-Warner, and it's not to make things better or cheaper for consumers. These are the same companies that said <100mbps service is all we need.

T.Man

Established Member
Until your internet service costs and fees go through the roof, and you can only stream one movie per week before getting hit with overage charges. My household streams hundreds of gigs of data through our ISP each month. I can't even imagine what the fees would be like for "tiered service" for that amount of data. Look at what cell companies charge just for a handful of gigs of data. Those same cell companies are the ones lobbying against net neutrality, and you're onboard with this? There's a reason AT&T keeps trying to buy Time-Warner, and it's not to make things better or cheaper for consumers. These are the same companies that said <100mbps service is all we need.

Here's the propaganda that I was talking about. It's word for word what you will find being spewed all across the internet from those who believe more and more in "big government"

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Why conflate Enron & Worldcom’s accounting fraud with net neutrality?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Enron was more than accounting fraud.

They deliberately exported electricity out of California to drive demand up and then imported it back at a higher price.

Even so much that they would have generating units shut down for maintenance time just to drive the price up.

Remember the whole rolling blackouts thing in California? Enron.

I should add that all of these things were recorded on their own phone system. It came out when they were investigating the accounting fraud.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Don't know enough about the subject, it seems the research necessary to be "educated" into the issue is intense, because even the verbiage used is ass backwards. I thought about doing it for an argumentative essay this semester, but passed and did AI dangers instead cause it was easier lol.

Honestly, there's no way we wont **** up the internet as we currently see/use it. Of course our governments are going to ruin a good thing, they do it to everything else.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I hate government regulation and I've been trying to find a benefit from this (for us, ISPs are drooling at the soon-to-be increased revenue) and to be honest, it looks bleak.

The only thing I can think that will help is innovation. Google paused operations on fiber because it's too expensive. The existing infrastructure is only there because the government paid for it, because it was too expensive and now we have (somewhat) of an oligopoly on our hands for the few companies that benefited from that.

If anyone is going to break into this market it's going to require a different approach. Wireless tech is going to need to increase, satellite is slow, unreliable and not available to a large portion of the population.

There are a handful of companies that have been working on wireless tech for some time (10-15 years) and are now just starting to roll out internet service that's capable of covering an area the size of a building. Big cities will be the first to have more options, but it will be a long time before those of us who are further will.

The worst part of this is how many people it's potentially going to effect negatively and that it points directly at republicans. If this goes poorly for the average person it's going to be a lot of fuel to drive the other side during the next election.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The worst part of this is how many people it's potentially going to effect negatively and that it points directly at republicans. If this goes poorly for the average person it's going to be a lot of fuel to drive the other side during the next election.

Maybe if we start charging them per tweet or fb post, we wont have to hear so many lefties and crybaby snowflakes online anymore.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
How is it propaganda when the companies are on record saying those very things?? I didn't just pull that out of my ass. https://www.wired.com/2013/02/time-warner-cable-2/
He is probably clueless what net neutrality is, what we have right now is net neutrality.
If it gets repealed that means the ISP can charge what ever and in some cases block sites. Would be funny if the people supporting the repeal get blocked out of the sites they use or charged more. Retards.

Edit - This is from OP's original post:
Under the new plan, broadband providers will be able to block access, slow down or speed up service for its business partners in some cases — as long as they notify customers.

Users who are viewing this thread