Nelson Racing Goes 243 mph at Bonneville - Turbocharged Barracuda

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Nelson Racing Engines is siiiiick man, I'd actually love to see a Ford GT with an extensive build from them to take a crack at the mile.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
526 Keith Black Hemi with twin 88mm turbos. Love it! Congratulations to them for breaking the old record of 221mph with the official record speed of 241. Awesome!

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
impressive but then again a 526 with twin 88's and it took him 5 miles to get to that speed. That just sounds HORRIBLE when comparing it to the Texas mile cars MOST of which are street legal cars, some even with AC, heat, cruise, etc. this just doesn't do it for me. Grats to them non the less but it seems like a waste.

Bybowtie

BOOSTED
Established Member
So I take it you put them lambos on the salt flats and not on asphalt they would do the same???? Might be videos out there of some on the salt flats I have missed. Anyone car to find one of one going faster??

ROMM

Established Member
So I take it you put them lambos on the salt flats and not on asphalt they would do the same???? Might be videos out there of some on the salt flats I have missed. Anyone car to find one of one going faster??

That argument is the same as saying "why doesn't this car go to the Texas Mile and see what it does in only one mile?"

Go to the Texas Mile website and look at how fast some of these cars are in one mile: TEXAS MILE // OFFICIAL SITE // 3 DAYS, 1 MILE: NO SPEED LIMIT

Plenty of videos on YouTube of cars doing well over 200MPH. Land speed is land speed, whether its on asphalt or a salt flat.

Congratulations to Kelly Bise (Owner) & Josh Ledford (Driver)
The new Street Legal Vehicle Record Holder
244.5 MPH

TopTwoSpeedSlips4_pu.jpg

ROMM

Established Member
I still think the original post is cool as hell. An old school Barracuda doing 243 is bad ass no matter where it's at!

Here is an old school Camaro that hits 216 MPH in one mile. Someone made a thread about this video in this section.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqu_m-KfPFs"]BIG RED Camaro - The Texas Mile - March 2011 - YouTube[/nomedia]

BM1

Established Member
That's kinda neat if you're into that Bonneville crap. Not as imperssive anymore when you've got street cars doing 240+ in a standing mile.

Last edited:

jfsram

Established Member
You retards can rarely appreciate a car for what it is or what it used to be or under the circumstances.

Obviously the salts has a traction issue. With the aerodynamics of a car designed 40 years ago and if you can't hear the traction issues you are just a bit narrow minded. Look at the angle of the windshield and the two parachute between the headlight most of us think of as grilles.

Impressive in all aspects

Last edited:

NCETRY

Established Member
One thing to factor is putting power down to pavement is different than salt. Most the Texas Mile cars would more than likely need a couple miles on salt to reach those speeds.

CPRsm

LOL @ standing mile vs 5 mile. It takes 5 miles because of the lack of traction, not power.

Start at 3:45 and you can hear the car spin and see it start to get sideways. 4:25 you can hear it come loose again.

Don't confuse the length of track for a cars capabilities. Lol, newbs

Damn, just saw that reply took me 15 mins because I was watching the vid,too lol.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Unless you have done Bonneville all your opinions are of no value.

I have raced or crewed at Bonneville since 1976. I rode a turbo Kawasaki there and was geared for 237mph at 11,000rpm. I went through the timing traps at 187 showing 11,300rpm on the tach. That is 46 mph of wheelspin. Kind of screws up the handling.

I also raced at the dry lakes, El Mirage to be more accurate. And people would show up with their high dollar stuff and produce absolutely horrible times. One loudmouth, chain wearing Diablo owner came out bragging about how he was going to show up all us "greasy garage types" with his Lambo. Not so much.
He tried to get a bet going with this old beat up Ford Highboy. He's was lucky that the Highboy refused. The Highboy went 245. And the Lambo? Couldn't even hit 170. 164 was the best he could do. And most real racers told him he did quite good for running on the dirt.

Anyone can run on asphalt. Try running on a low traction surface, then you can compare a car's abilities to the greats of Bonneville in years past.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
You retards can rarely appreciate a car for what it is or what it used to be or under the circumstances.

Obviously the salts has a traction issue. With the aerodynamics of a car designed 40 years ago and if you can't hear the traction issues you are just a bit narrow minded. Look at the angle of the windshield and the two parachute between the headlight most of us think of as grilles.

Impressive in all aspects

This....

Everyone NOT IMPRESSED driving 14 second cars lol...

Users who are viewing this thread