Need Your Help! 2003 GT Emissions Decal P/N

SilverGT1

Established Member
I live in California and suffer under the oppressive emission Nazi regime. I am getting hassled because my emission decal that is supposed to be under the hood is missing. They said that I could go to Ford and get a replacement. Ford says they do not have them for cars that are older than 10 years. I found a company that can reproduce the decal for me but they need the Ford part number.

Does anyone here live in California with a 2003 Mustang GT that still has the emissions decal intact? Can you please grab the part number off of the decal for me?

I am pretty sure that these decals are model year specific as the engine family number changes every year.

Thanks in advance for your help.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm curious why CA requires that sticker. It's not like it's a certification sticker. Especially when it's really no longer available. ??

01yellercobra

Established Member
Sounds like your smog guy doesn't want to deal with you for whatever reason. I don't have that sticker and I know quite a few people that don't have it and haven't been questioned about it.

SilverGT1

Established Member
Because when you add certain aftermarket parts they have to be certified by the California Air Resouces Board (CARB) to a particular engine family. The emissions decal includes that information.
I’m getting hassled by them for my KB supercharger and Magnaflow exhaust. I took them the CARB EO stickers that came with the parts as well as the EO (executive order) docs right from the CARB website.

They bitched that without the emissions decal they can’t confirm which engine the parts apply to. Give me a break. So weak.

I know other shops are more lenient but it just keeps getting harder every two years. They are starting to fail cars with aftermarket tuning SW like SCT. I haven’t been flagged for that yet. If they hit you with that, you get sent to a referee. You might have seen some threads floating around on here or other forums.

It is just another way to put pressure on the hot rod community. The only cars that are exempt from smog requirement are 1975 and older. This was supposed to be a rolling 30 years but they killed that.

A member on Corral was able to get me the info I needed for the decal.

So, you can no longer get these decals that used to be about $10. I had to have one made. Are you sitting down? Cost? $80.00.

I need to move to Nevada.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, that sucks. I understand now the logic, but man, it sucks! I would never want to live in Comifornia. I feel for ya!

SilverGT1

Established Member
Sounds like your smog guy doesn't want to deal with you for whatever reason. I don't have that sticker and I know quite a few people that don't have it and haven't been questioned about it.

Up until last year I was taking it to my guy all the way down in San Jose that would let me fly with my larger throttle body, bigger MAF, modified exhaust, etc. I spent a bunch of money over the winter to attemp to get CARB compliant. Spent $1200 on a Magnaflow CARB compliant 4 cat exhaust alone.

Trying to play by the rules blows. It was easier to pay the $300 and just fly.

SilverGT1

Established Member
For posterity, if anyone needs this in the future, the decal p/n for the 2003 GT is 3W7E-9C485-KLD.
upload_2020-3-7_10-31-28.jpeg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I'm curious why CA requires that sticker. It's not like it's a certification sticker. Especially when it's really no longer available. ??
Technically in Ca that sticker is required for smog. Some techs care about it and some dont.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Depends on the smog tech.

SilverGT1

Established Member
Couple of reasons...
1) I am attempting keep my power set up and still be CA compliant. As mentioned, it is only going to get worse. Trying to get ahead of it now.
2) I still had to pay for the inspection. However, the retest is free.

I am certain that I could have found another shop that would have let it fly. But then I am just kicking the can down the road.

Chip Schweiss

Established Member
Couple of reasons...
1) I am attempting keep my power set up and still be CA compliant. As mentioned, it is only going to get worse. Trying to get ahead of it now.
2) I still had to pay for the inspection. However, the retest is free.

I am certain that I could have found another shop that would have let it fly. But then I am just kicking the can down the road.

Get ahead of it... Move out of that state.

Users who are viewing this thread