Need tuning help

svtjerrod

Established Member
so i am getting some work done.. ported eaton. pully 6#. cai maybe and i will need a tune.. i live in a place where there are not many.. i live in southern ms does anyone know of any good tuners in southern LA MS or AL.
i thought about Total Performance Solutions with a guy named wes ratcliff.

what do you guys think

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
IMO you'll be fine with a mail order tuner. Just watch the IAT2 temps (max of 160F and your front 02 sensors to read 80% or more at WOT pulling up through 2nd and 3rd.

Rich

JollyGiant

Established Member
You definately need a tune. What he said is that with so few mods, a good mail order tune will be just fine.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
With a #6 lower and a ported eaton your going to see 14 PSI boost not 17
Yes you need a tune and a MAF extender. Isn't RWTD in Missippi.

svtjerrod

Established Member
stiegmeier says that a stage four ported eaton will produce an additional3-5 psi with stock pulley setup

8 stock 3-5 with port 6 with pulley 17-19

at least thats what i was told, if you have seen different please let me know..
i have had so many different people tell me so many diff things i almost just want to sell the truck..

some say no tune needed others say tune needed some say canned tunes are no way to do it others say yeah its fine.. some say no meter is needed stock is fine. others say not...

92Snatch

Established Member
i lost 2lbs with the ported blower....same thing in "ford performance trucks" magazine. It made the same power on 12 lbs with the port as it did at 14lbs without the port...they added an upper pulley to put the boost back up and normally see gains of 30hp 30tq. The ported blowers work best at 16psi from everything ive read. im only on 12psi now, but will put an upper on when i get it tuned.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
stiegmeier says that a stage four ported eaton will produce an additional3-5 psi with stock pulley setup

8 stock 3-5 with port 6 with pulley 17-19

at least thats what i was told, if you have seen different please let me know..
i have had so many different people tell me so many diff things i almost just want to sell the truck..

some say no tune needed others say tune needed some say canned tunes are no way to do it others say yeah its fine.. some say no meter is needed stock is fine. others say not...

ummm i lost boost through my ported blower....

lightning25

SEANSVT
Established Member
so i am getting some work done.. ported eaton. pully 6#. cai maybe and i will need a tune.. i live in a place where there are not many.. i live in southern ms does anyone know of any good tuners in southern LA MS or AL.
i thought about Total Performance Solutions with a guy named wes ratcliff.

what do you guys think

you NEED a tune!!
you WILL blow up with-out one!
don't forget the possibility of adding a MAF, as some times (not in all cases) your combo will max out the stock MAF.

A canned tuned is something i personally would stay away from - it's basically a generic tune, and as you may already know, all of these trucks are a bit different from each other. Thus making a custom e-mailed tune or a dyno/street driven tune a must for you. I decided i didn't want an e-mail tune and drove about 600 miles to Maryland to get tuned as i wanted my tuner to actually drive my truck while tuning (i think it may give a more accurate tune for driveability and performance).
i am not familiar with Total Performance Solutions, but do some research on them.

good luck!
just don't sell your truck, you will regret it!
Sean

Robert Francis

Established Member
It's not easy to give you a definitive answers as the reported results of what you want to do (ported Eaton, 6 lb pulley, CAI) vary. For example if you do a "search" on here you'll find some guys with a ported Eaton and 6 lb pulley report a boost increase from the 8-10 lbs stock, to about 15 to 16 lbs. And some will report about 14 lbs. Some will say that they had a 6lb pulley on before with about 14 lbs boost - got their Eaton ported, and now have lost boost. Most say under any conditions with a ported Eaton they gained power - but some report they lost power. I don't have any easy answer as the why there seem to be such varying results from ported Eatons, especially when pulleys are also added, but this is one of the reasons why suggestions on tuning solutions vary and it's easy to get confused as what's best to do.

With a 6lb pulley you may or may not need another MAF. There is no way to tell for sure without being able to read out certain paramaters and you can't do this on a stock truck. If you're being tuned on a dyno, the dyno operator can tell you. Most guys think you need one with a 6lb pulley mod, and the data from their dyno tunes indicate this, but even this varies. Personally, I didn't need one with my 6 lb pulley.

"Canned tunes" - I had a couple years ago and didn't have any problems with them. The risk in them is the seeming variability of engine outputs as noted from truck to truck even when the same mods seem to be used - and the seemingly same engine/trans conditions. Also keep in mind the "tuner" has no idea what condition your engine is in, and as most experienced tuners today know that outputs from ported Eatons seem to vary greatly, so as a result most tuners today that do mail order tunes, do very conservative tunes. Your best opportunity for maximum power is through a dyno tune with an experienced on Lightnings, dyno operatror.

RWTD as I recall is in Alabama and many consider James at RWTD one of the best.

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
Jerrod, go see James at RWTD...he's in Mobile so its not a to far of a drive for you. He'll have you fixed up in no time. Like I said, I've ran my truck for the last 4 years on one of mail order tunes, but I would rather put it on the dyno.

chiz

opie99

Established Member
people still have the wrong idea about boost. when you port the eaton, all your doing is makin it easier for the blower to move the air faster and with less effort, in return less psi. you could have a stock car with 15 psi of boost, and race a guy in the same car with heads and a ported blower makin 10 psi of boost dusting the shit out of you. MORE BOOST DOESNT ALWAY MEAN MORE POWER!!!! i always figured this was common sense. more psi can make things go BOOM:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread