Need to tighten this suspension up.. what do I do?

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I have a 2003 Cobra convertible with full length subframes and FTBR IRS rebuild kit with Ford Racing diff cover and Baer 6p big brake kit up front. It's a summer/nice-day car only, have never been to the track. The car has 30k on it and dynoed 620rwhp. It floats under acceleration. I used to have a MM front strut tower brace but had to remove it to fit the bigger intake tube (VMP 5" intake). I could probably make the STB fit but it would impact and rub against the intake tube so I removed it.

Besides finding a different intake so the STB will fit, what else should be on my list to tighten this thing up?

01yellercobra

Established Member
What shock/spring combo are you running? When was the last time it had a good alignment done? What about the tires?

Generally I've found if it feels floaty either something in the suspension is worn out and allowing the tires to move in ways they shouldn't or it needs a good 4 wheel alignment.

Last edited:

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
What shock/spring combo are you running? When was the last time it had a good alignment done? What about the tires?

Generally I've found if it feels floaty either something in the suspension is worn out and allowing the tires to move in ways they shouldn't or it needs a good 4 wheel alignment.

Thanks for your reply. OEM Bilsteins, H&R Race springs.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Dont forget to check the axle nuts for tightness. FYI I get the same floaty feeling and am hopeful that getting a 4 wheel alignment in the spring will fix my issue.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Dont forget to check the axle nuts for tightness. FYI I get the same floaty feeling and am hopeful that getting a 4 wheel alignment in the spring will fix my issue.
The axle nuts are a good one. I had a hub bearing go out and almost put me into a wall.

jdant

Established Member
Never heard anyone put it that way, but I feel the same way as you, lol. We almost have the same power and close to the same mods with stock shocks and H&R Race springs. I have the Stifflers Fit System and their front strut bar and still feel like it's taking off when under hard acceleration. My alignment is only a year and a half in and was done after all the Stifflers mods were put in.

I have not checked the axle nuts though(will now!).

01yellercobra

Established Member
Never heard anyone put it that way, but I feel the same way as you, lol. We almost have the same power and close to the same mods with stock shocks and H&R Race springs. I have the Stifflers Fit System and their front strut bar and still feel like it's taking off when under hard acceleration. My alignment is only a year and a half in and was done after all the Stifflers mods were put in.

I have not checked the axle nuts though(will now!).
If that was for me I wasn't exaggerating. I was getting on the freeway with some friends and naturally we got on it a little. My car did something funky so I got out of it. Thought I was good then suddenly the ass started swaying and I went into save mode. I was waiting for the crunch sound of hitting a wall, but managed to get it around and made it with just a scrape on the bumper.

What I finally found was when I loosened the driver side axle nut the bearing fell apart all over the floor.

PC03GT

Established Member
If that was for me I wasn't exaggerating. I was getting on the freeway with some friends and naturally we got on it a little. My car did something funky so I got out of it. Thought I was good then suddenly the ass started swaying and I went into save mode. I was waiting for the crunch sound of hitting a wall, but managed to get it around and made it with just a scrape on the bumper.

What I finally found was when I loosened the driver side axle nut the bearing fell apart all over the floor.
Holy shit

jdant

Established Member

I was referencing the OP's post, but that story is scary!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Stories like that make me remember how old these Terminators are now. Threads like this should serve as a reminder to do periodic maintenance checks on the various systems, especially the suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread