Need some thoughts ASAP (car is on side of road)

Invictus

Banned
My last mod done is a set of Billerflow ider pullies, including the new bracket and aux. idler pulley. I did not change the belt however as it seemed to fit alright, it felt a little tighter than before but not by much.

Before these pullies I had the stock idlers, and a 90mm aux idler.

Anyways, after about 100 miles of driving, out of nowhere I got a LOUD obnoxious rattling sound. About 4 miles from my house. Pulled over, popped hood and let it idle. could not really isolate the sound but figured it was coming from the tensioner or one of the idlers. I got some tools and made sure the idlers were tight and started it back up, the rattling went away but it was still making a slight noise that I didn't like.

So I figured it wasn't TOO bad, and decided to try to make it home where I could really look at it. Well, I stayed under 1200RPM and really babied it, and 1 mile down the interstate I got a catasrophic noise like something just completely grinded out and the motor shut off. . .

Popped the hood, everything appeared fine. No missing idlers, belt was still on, everything appeared normal. Although it is dark and it is on the side of interstate...

One thing I did notice was that I could actually spin the supercharger belt BY HAND with the belt still on. I looked down, the lower pulley, all idlers were spinnign with the belt. I could spin it about one full rotation eaisly by hand and it would stop, then spin it the other way by hand, and it stopped like it jammed.

What do you guys think? Did I just ruin the snout of my eaton? What is going on here, heh!

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Sounds like the crank. You should NOT be able to spin that S/C pulley. Good luck.

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
you can remove the belt and drive home, that is if it is the supercharger.i made it 15 miles with no belt before the battery died, 1/2 block from my house.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
you should not be able to spin lower by hand.
do you have aftermarket lower?

you will need tow

good luck

others have experienced broken cranks with aftermarket lowers, I would check there first

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
yea, from reading others problem threads, it seems like the crank problem. Never should be able to spin the supercharger by hand with belts on.

RussZTT

Established Member
I wouldn't do anything until you can see the car in full light. Get it towed home.

Invictus

Banned
Got the car home safely (in tow). Later today i'll take a look at it. I'm not holding my breath that it's something minor, this was a bone-chilling noise when it happeend and my hands are still shaking at the thought of having to do a major tear down.

Weird though, the car has a stock lower pulley on it. It was pullied at one point but this was years and thousands of miles ago. I can definately turn the blower pulley by hand WITH the belt on and while looking at the motor, the belt is still under tension and all pulleys are freely spinning.

Is it seriously possible that I just shattered my crank some how? I haven't even raced or beat on the car recently, at the first sign of this problem I was actually decelerating to a red light and immediately just coasted into a gas station.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Man I hope your crank is still in one piece but it sure doesn't sound like it. Good luck and keep us posted.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Stock lower pulley is a multipiece unit, it may just be coming apart. I've seen the rubber inserts in them fall out and make rattling noises. Take the belt off and grab the lower pulley to check it.

Speed Demon

Established Member
Stock lower pulley is a multipiece unit, it may just be coming apart. I've seen the rubber inserts in them fall out and make rattling noises. Take the belt off and grab the lower pulley to check it.

+1 I've seen a few do this as well. if the outer ring of the pulley turns with out the crank that's most likely the problem.

TRBO VNM

+1 I've seen a few do this as well. if the outer ring of the pulley turns with out the crank that's most likely the problem.

yup. you can actually remove the outer pulley from the whole cage assembly. it is only screwed on by that center hex stud that you usually use to break the whole cage free from the crank.

take the belt off and spin the outer crank pulley and see if it spins. if so, look at the inside pulley and see if it is spinning at the same time and then go from there.

Invictus

Banned
Pulled the radiator, fan, and lfp resovoirs to get some clearanace to check everything out.

DEF. appears to be a faulty lower pulley. I'm pretty sure my crank is fine. I'll pull the lower cage tomorrow morning to check it out. Do these things fail often?

Anyone have a spare lower sitting around :beer:

RussZTT

Established Member
hmmm, are you sure its just the lower? You could see if its off or almost off. Even then usually the key keeps it from turning.:??:

ctubbs

Established Member
I seen there are a few lowers pulleys in the market for sale. Looks like the going rate is $70 bucks. Good Luck getting the car fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread