Need some shop advice

SVT95

Established Member
Hey everyone. I've been having problems with my cobra for a long time now. About 1-1.5 years ago, I had the local ford dealership install a distributor for me. To make a long story short, I spent a lot of money trying to fix the issues I was having. Well, earlier today I was doing some spring tuning-up on my car and checked the timing. And to my surprise, the base timing was at 22 degrees. 5 minutes later, and with the timing set right, it runs perfect. Now, what would you guys do? It's taking everything I have to not call them and give them a piece of my mind. This is something that should have been done with the amount of money I gave them to install it. With that being said, I feel I'm partly to blame just because it should have been one of the first things I checked when it started running bad. But if I wasn't a car person and just a regular customer that didn't know how to check timing, they would have cost that person tons of money and maybe an engine. So what do you all think? Should I call them and let them know their mistake or just let it go? Also, do you guys think it would be a good idea to post this on a local forum stating the problems I've had? PS, this isn't the first time I've had problems with the dealership but it will certainly be the last.

Last edited:

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I would let them know what happened and that you are not satisfied that you brought the car to get fixed and you wound up getting it running right. They won't ever know they made a mistake unless they are made aware and hopefully it won't happen again.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I'd have a polite and private conversation with the service manager, and see if some compensation is in order. If you get no satisfaction there, have a polite and private talk with the owner or general manager. Most businesses know that it costs less money to keep a customer than to get new ones.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The dealer did the work 1 - 1.5 years ago? If so, talking to the service manager isn't going to do much of anything. Their thinking will be that a lot can happen in a year or more. If it were weeks ago, then yes, talk to the manager to complain. At this point the manager will probably ask why you didn't bring it back to the dealership if after the work was done you weren't satisfied. JMO. But glad you found out what was wrong.

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
The dealer did the work 1 - 1.5 years ago? If so, talking to the service manager isn't going to do much of anything. Their thinking will be that a lot can happen in a year or more. If it were weeks ago, then yes, talk to the manager to complain. At this point the manager will probably ask why you didn't bring it back to the dealership if after the work was done you weren't satisfied. JMO. But glad you found out what was wrong.

I agree with Bob 100%.

-Eric

SVT95

Established Member

That thought has been in the back of my head since I found out what was wrong. I know they won't compensate any money(which I wouldn't have wanted anyways) because these guys know I like to mod my car. I know they would have came back and said I must have messed with it. I think I'm still going to call them and let them know they do have techs not doing their job right.

Users who are viewing this thread