need some rio red paint info

My94GT

Established Member
Yup, and it doesn't match the OEM 3 stage worth a shlt.
it's a lot brighter looking.

really ive seen it sprayed out and blended and it looked good to me :shrug: im sure if you panel paint it wouldnt match but really how oftin do you see a good panel paint match unless its solid red, white, or black?

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Yup, and it doesn't match the OEM 3 stage worth a shlt.
it's a lot brighter looking.

That color fades something awful. It always turns into a pinkish color. There is no blending it once its faded. Paint manufacturers need to come up with a tint thats just for fading LOL

really ive seen it sprayed out and blended and it looked good to me :shrug: im sure if you panel paint it wouldnt match but really how oftin do you see a good panel paint match unless its solid red, white, or black?

Whites are still so hard, they've got green,black,yellow and red in them depending on the code. Whites and some of the silvers will make you pull your hair out!

My94GT

Established Member
That color fades something awful. It always turns into a pinkish color. There is no blending it once its faded. Paint manufacturers need to come up with a tint thats just for fading LOL

Whites are still so hard, they've got green,black,yellow and red in them depending on the code. Whites and some of the silvers will make you pull your hair out!

yea im not saying every white but in general you can for some shades.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

136k on a 3 season daily driver, never garaged...no pinkish color here. :shrug:

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
136k on a 3 season daily driver, never garaged...no pinkish color here. :shrug:

Got me man? When I said it faded something awful, I didn't mean that it faded easily. But on the Expeditions and such that use E9, when they fade, they seem to always have a pinkish look to them (least the ones that roll through work do). Can't say I've dealt with many Mustangs with E9. Perhaps cause the Expeditions are closer to the sun :D

from6to8

Established Member
a competent painter will know what to do, also if im not mistake most paint brands also offer a 2 stage process which is a pretty dead on color match in most cases if your painting the whole car just do that and from then on out you shouldnt need to blend adjacent panels if you keep the paint in good condition.

either way if they only have the 3 stage formula a good painter will blend as needed to perform a proper color match.
hate to bring up an old thread lol but give me some pointers so I can make sure that I'll be satisfied with this shop's paint job on my car. Getting my 94 rio done soon and if there's anything I need to ask him about and I'm guessing type of paint, ect then I definitely want to do that. I googled something and brought me to a thread here. He said he can paint it for $4500 and if I want it wet sand and buffed $5000.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Ask the painter or shop NOT to:
Paint over any VIN labels, Ford labels, etc.

Overspray window trims, mirrors, into wheel wells, over gas tank cover or other areas that should never be painted or over-sprayed.

Ask if the paint work includes removing any dents/dings, etc.

One more tip:
If you have to tell or ask the shop to “wet sand and buff” after a $5k paint job, walk away. Any pro shop after painting will include and should do wet sanding/buffing… otherwise you may as well pay a kid in a parking lot to rattle can spray your car…

from6to8

Established Member
Ask the painter or shop NOT to:
Paint over any VIN labels, Ford labels, etc.

Overspray window trims, mirrors, into wheel wells, over gas tank cover or other areas that should never be painted or over-sprayed.

Ask if the paint work includes removing any dents/dings, etc.

One more tip:
If you have to tell or ask the shop to “wet sand and buff” after a $5k paint job, walk away. Any pro shop after painting will include and should do wet sanding/buffing… otherwise you may as well pay a kid in a parking lot to rattle can spray your car…
i already met with him and expressed the overspray concern and how much I don't want to have to bring the car back and would rather him take the extra time no long how it takes to correct any issues should they arise.

Well it wasn't $5k but $4500 lol. I will call around to at least 5 shops tomorrow and ask in reference to if wet sanding and buffing is automatic or not or if they automatically do that, is it already figured into the price quote that they give you.

Users who are viewing this thread