need some rio red paint info

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
ok im going to get my 1995 cobra painted in the next 2 months,i just wanted to get some info. from what i was told my car has a tinted clear coat is this tru :shrug:
and i need a paint code
thsnks rob

Jetskiracer113

Established Member
ok im going to get my 1995 cobra painted in the next 2 months,i just wanted to get some info. from what i was told my car has a tinted clear coat is this tru :shrug:
and i need a paint code
thsnks rob

Not sure about the clear coat...
But the paint code is E8

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Not familar with E8.
But it could be a tri-coat formula which in turn:

You have a basecoat, midcoat, and a clear coat.

Tinted clear... isn't the case.

You tint your basecoat to match the color of the car and then apply the appropriate amount of midcoats for the desired color.

I know E9 for Ford is a tri-coat. Alot of people may refer to them as pearl paint jobs. The white cadillacs you see rolling around are perfect examples. Tri-coats are usually a PITA to match. Shops should always do letdown panels and always always blend to ensure a proper match.

I can look up tonight to see if its a tri-coat or not for you.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Through a search it looks like E8 is a tri-coat. Also read that Dupont and PPG supply this as a Jobber Pack color. Some shops will tell you because its pre-mixed how it comes out is how it comes out.

Not the case, a quality painter should still be able to tint the color.

95riosnake

Established Member
I've had many parts for my car painted and my painters have always told me it has a tinted clear, which is part of the reason it is so hard to match. And yes, the code is E8

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
thanks... ? so what do i tell the painter... if i tell him to use e-8 he will know what to do

My94GT

Established Member
a competent painter will know what to do, also if im not mistake most paint brands also offer a 2 stage process which is a pretty dead on color match in most cases if your painting the whole car just do that and from then on out you shouldnt need to blend adjacent panels if you keep the paint in good condition.

either way if they only have the 3 stage formula a good painter will blend as needed to perform a proper color match.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
i was also going to paint the roof and the cowl part of my y2k hood dsg. if the clear is tinted im sure it will have a effect on the color? any one got a paint code for dsg

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
a competent painter will know what to do, also if im not mistake most paint brands also offer a 2 stage process which is a pretty dead on color match in most cases if your painting the whole car just do that and from then on out you shouldnt need to blend adjacent panels if you keep the paint in good condition.

either way if they only have the 3 stage formula a good painter will blend as needed to perform a proper color match.

sorry guys for being a pain, but i just dont want my car to be bright red lol :shrug:

here is what the red looks like. this is the guy i got it from http://www.cardomain.com/ride/693913

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
I've had many parts for my car painted and my painters have always told me it has a tinted clear, which is part of the reason it is so hard to match. And yes, the code is E8

nice car got that same hood on mine soon to be painted...got any more pics of it we can see

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Rio Red for the win! Let me know how much that paint job ends up costing you.

My94GT

Established Member
for what its worth man i just punched E8 into the computer system we use to mix our paint in house at the body shop im at and it came up as a standared base coat clear coat set up now. its just solid red so theres no need to tint the clear atleast with the system we use here where im at.

hope this helps some

SteelyBuns

Established Member
keep us posted on how it turns out, I have the same color and will need it repainted soon so im interested on how it will end up.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
for what its worth man i just punched E8 into the computer system we use to mix our paint in house at the body shop im at and it came up as a standared base coat clear coat set up now. its just solid red so theres no need to tint the clear atleast with the system we use here where im at.

hope this helps some

X2, punched in for Dupont and brought up a BC/CC.

As far as blending, you want to blend. Its the only way to ensure a true color match. Panel painting is a no win situation unless its the same batch of paint. Color can be changed with air pressure as well as distance and with metallics if they don't sit the same, it will also reflect different and look like a different color.

DSG is CX I believe, again a BC/CC formula.

If you're really picky about the colors, ask to see a spray out before any color is applied to the car. That way you can see if its "too red" or not. I'd take the spray out to the jambs of the car as well to make sure it matches. The two tone you don't want is.. is outside and jambs.

Also... DO NOT take the car away until you are satisfied. Couple things I'd look for:
Runs in the Cobra on the rear bumper, inside the tag area, on the bottom portion of each panel especially the rear bumper where that groove is.

Dry spray on the front bumper inside the foglight holes as well as the air dam portion.

Look inside all jambs to make sure you're pleased with the paint lines that will be there due to it not being jambed out. Fender jambs, door jambs, trunk jambs etc.

Check all your window rubbers to make sure there is no paint on the rubber as well as any hardlines where the tape was on the panel and not the rubber.

I'd remove the fender emblems and SVT & Ford emblems on the decklid as well. You can get away with not removing the Ford emblem.. but I wouldn't leave it anyway.

Also, check for runs on your spoiler and if you're leaving the mirrors installed, check for dry spray under the mirrors and around the door handles.

Good luck!

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Also, do not pick your car up on a rainy day. Wait till the sun is shinning. And look for any distortion in the finish (EX: orange peel vs smooth) Something could have been cut and buffed out. Alot of the times from the right angle you can still see the defect.

Nibs in the paint is called trash. They can cut and buff stuff like that out... Make them.

ruffryder5pnt0

I smell a Kenne Belle
Established Member
damn 2500??? is that a good price never actually paid for my car to get painted retail always had a hook up... but rio red is the bomb and the best red in my opinion

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
i think its a good price... every shop in town wants 3600.my uncle is building the car for me and he has a buddy that paints all the top lowriders in el paso. he knows my uncle very well so he hooked it up. i found a guy at the chevy house in town he said he could do it on the side and would charge 1500 but ,i want it done right and so i will take it to my uncles buddy

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
o... what do i need to make it look like glass. is there a clear u would recommend for this or something .thanks rob

Users who are viewing this thread