Need some opinions on clutch quote

SonicBeast

Established Member
So I bought a mcloed rxt 26 spline with intentions of having it installed professionally. I've done all my work myself but for something as important as a clutch I don't want to risk it. With my luck I'll have the Trans in and out 5 times before it's right. So I called a few local shops that a reputable. One quoted me $600-$1000 depending on if they had to shim the shaft or not. He said he didn't think they'd need to but some do. This seems expensive to me. 600 would be one thing but you know it's more likely they'll charge higher. Another shop told me $700 for just the clutch because I have mid length headers and you won't be able to get the bell housing off without removing the pass side header. Is this accurate? I'm to the point where I may just send the clutch back for a 10spline because I can't afford another $1500 to install it. I still need to buy the shaft and bearings. For a street car that may do a few easy passes a year at 513/489 I'm thinking $1500 doesn't sound worth it when I could proly pay $500-700 without the shaft. Also way some opinions on that. Cars never been tracked but I was hoping with a good clutch I could occasionally. Let me know what ya think please

KevinE

Established Member
If you're even somewhat mechanically inclined, you should be able to do a clutch job with a few friends. Read up on some DIY threads and YouTube videos if you get stuck or need direction. And you do NOT need to remove headers to drop the tranny. I have BBK long tubes and I got mine out no problem. Just need to unbolt the tranny from the bell housing first, remove it, then unbolt and remove the bellhousing from the engine. The 26 spline install is a piece of cake too. And shimming it is not difficult, you can rent a dial indicator at your local hardware store. But if you just don't feel comfortable - I'd shop around and see what shops are reputable in ur area and go from there.

JrSVT

Established Member
I paid $400 for my RXT intall + headers....do some shopping around you're bound to find someone to get it done cheaper.

Jr.

mr-proper

Established Member
i paid 320 for clutch swap. labor only. replaced pilot bearing,clutch fork, TOB, flywheel and clutch

SonicBeast

Established Member
Yea the more I think about it I'm leaning towards doing it myself, I had the transmission out twice now so I know how to do that, just have to get the bell housing off. I'm thinking about having a shop install the input shaft so I know that it's in tolerance since I have no idea how to check that. I've seen a few install threads but are there any good step by step ones out there? I've also read with the rxt you need an adjustable pivot ball and moving it 4-5mm back. Which I'm not sure how to do...

TRBO VNM

I paid $400 for my RXT intall + headers....do some shopping around you're bound to find someone to get it done cheaper.

Jr.

If you paid $400 for RxT install and long tube header install, that place was hard up for money or you have some special connection. No way will a full time or part time shop do all that for only $400.

OP, those prices are high. I just charged a guy $450 and it included doing the firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant install and fixing his o2 sensor issues. He had BBK headers and the bell housing is a pita to remove with those and the shop that did the headers left the 3rd bolt in, so I had to jack the motor up to access that bolt. For just a straight clutch swap I usually do 300-350

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Not sure who you are talking to, but the ones I dealt with during the clutch install were BBK longtubes, not midlengths. I have installed a couple sets of BBK's and won't do it again for the fact of quality and design.

For the starter, there are 3 bolts. Typically when people do headers they leave the top most bolt out because it is such a pita to deal with when you have long tubes and more so when you have them and a stock kmember.

SonicBeast

Established Member
Sorry I was responding to you, my headers are mid lengths, do you think I'll have the same issue? I would think they wouldn't be in the way as much

PonyExpress

Established Member
I'm also looking for a good performance shop to install a clutch. I decided on the Promotion 650 - 10 Spline. I don't have headers so the install should be easier than yours. I wouldn't do this myself. With my luck I would put the car in 1st gear and the car would go backwards....

I received a quote last fall from a Ford dealer for $550 - labor only. I called the dealer again last week and they told me 6 hours - $800! NOT A CHANCE I'm paying anyone that much. Another performance shop quoted me $600 - $650.

I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago. I know Speed Inc. does tunes and installs. They're always backed up. If anyone knows of another reputable shop, please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread