Need some more help on front popping noise...

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Yep, ended up seeing Scott on Saturday morning, great guy who really knows his stuff. Road races a fox body on the weekends. I have to bring it back to get the strut installed since we couldn't source one locally but I don't mind since the drive is nice and it's a nice shop.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
That blows. Those struts aren't cheap, rather it have been the mount :(

I wish it were the bushing in the mount as well. So does it make sense to you that some side to side play from the piston to the tube would cause that popping/clunking? My suspension guy is pretty confident. He tightened down the center nut and that actually reduced the noise by about 50%, likely a result of the strut being better centered and locked in place. He also checked over the entire front end from the end links to the tie rods to the control arms, ball joints and bushings and said it was all in good shape. There isn't much more to inspect and/or replace.

I couldn't believe how thick the pistons are on the Bilstein's. I was expecting it to be about .75" but they're probably 1.5" in diameter. Still, too many are failing on these cars. Supposed to be good for life?

I'm going to replace with the HD's or Tokico D-Specs. Also going to replace the rack bushings since one of them has a very slight tear.

exdeath

Established Member
I wish it were the bushing in the mount as well. So does it make sense to you that some side to side play from the piston to the tube would cause that popping/clunking?

I couldn't believe how thick the pistons are on the Bilstein's. I was expecting it to be about .75" but they're probably 1.5" in diameter. Still, too many are failing on these cars. Supposed to be good for life?

If it isn't the mount then all that is left is the strut itself.

They don't last a lifetime. 60k miles I believe is generous. In fact they don't last as long as a regular car if you drive aggressively or drive regularly on poorly maintained roads with lots of bumps and potholes. Firmer performance oriented struts don't have as much give as softer struts and thus deal with much higher impact loads and can be bent easier, etc.

Jroc

Established Member
I have a pop when I hit the brakes and the weight goes forward and it pops again when the weight goes backwards. Mine is on the front drivers side. Also when that side hits a small bump it also makes the popping sound. Cant seem to figure out what it is

I have this exact problem.

Yesterday MM had me convinced that it was probably a worn strut. They told me to look for scaring on the shaft. No scarring or loosiness in the struts, so now they said look at the C/C plates.

This is starting to annoy me fixing problem, after problem, after problem with this car. I would actually like to spend some of this money on mods or putting in my account or something.

GTCobraClone

Established Member

Yesterday MM had me convinced that it was probably a worn strut. They told me to look for scaring on the shaft. No scarring or loosiness in the struts, so now they said look at the C/C plates.

This is starting to annoy me fixing problem, after problem, after problem with this car. I would actually like to spend some of this money on mods or putting in my account or something.

I had about 95% of the noise fixed by making sure all my A-arm bolts were completely tight. Some werent thus making the noise. The last thing I have to do is change my CC plates. Some have like a bearing inside and when it gets worn they begin to have play and make the noise. I have some cheap CC plates the previous owner put, Im going with MM CC plates.

Get under your car and check that everything is tight

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member

Dude I feel your pain I've been trying to fix this front end noise for 5 months now. This friday I'm getting both struts replaced, along with poly rack bushings. My CC plates are only 6 months old and are Hotchkis pieces so they're good quality. I'm also having my guy check all bolts and grease where he can. I will report back. I am suprised at the amount of failures with the stock Bilsteins.

Jroc

Established Member
I have been under my car several times and everything seem tight. I run MM C/C plates, and also their specific valved Bilstein Sport shock/struts. The struts are $243 apiece FTL! They have a 3 year warrenty,and I've had mine a little over two years, but thats only if you run their dust boot which didn't come with the kit back when I bought mine.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Well my front end pop/clunk/thud has been solved 100%. BOTH of the pile of shit Bilstein's were completely shot. Side to side movement of the piston within the housing and a slight leak out of both. You'd think with a piston that big, that they'd be indestructible but nope 51k miles and they were done. Went with Tokico blues and its a brand new car. Also did poly rack bushings. Thanks to Lethal for getting me my stuff quickly.

Will attempt to fabricate a stool for the garage with one of the old struts. I wonder if I'll be able to get the stool to clunk. OEM Bilstein's FTL.

skratpiece

Established Member
I have had the same knocking/popping noise for the past 3 months. Especially on rough terrain, inclines, and whenever turning the wheel lock to lock under load. Same symptoms as described by all of you. After complaining of this issue for 1 month the Ford Service manager and I finally came the closest as of yet to identifying the problem. With the hood popped, while pressing down the front end of the car, we could hear a popping coming from the shock tower region every time the suspension rebounded. I hope it's just the bushing or stock ford plate rather than a strut.

Postal Pimp

torque is my heroin....
Established Member
yes ive had the same issue as you all. but let me ask you guys this...did it start after you lowered it? well mine did. once it was lowered a few months after it started, so i replaced the stock bilstiens with bilstein hd's. then a few months later it came back.
then i replaced the cc plates, rack bushings, added steeda ball joints and bump steer kit. well its still there so my guess its the crappy struts. dunno, ill replace then with tokico's then we'll see....:bash:

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
With the hood popped, while pressing down the front end of the car, we could hear a popping coming from the shock tower region every time the suspension rebounded. I hope it's just the bushing or stock ford plate rather than a strut.

I will GUARANTEE you that your strut is blown. :nonono:

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
yes ive had the same issue as you all. but let me ask you guys this...did it start after you lowered it? well mine did. once it was lowered a few months after it started, so i replaced the stock bilstiens with bilstein hd's. then a few months later it came back.
then i replaced the cc plates, rack bushings, added steeda ball joints and bump steer kit. well its still there so my guess its the crappy struts. dunno, ill replace then with tokico's then we'll see....:bash:

Mine actually was a little pronounced when stock and MORE pronounced after it was lowered. The shorter springs compressed the struts and probably amplified the problem. You put brand new Bilstein's in and the noise was still there which almost makes me think it ISN'T the strut.

I would try the D-Specs. I have the blues, they are great, and the car feels so much more driveable (oh how I cringed everytime I needed to turn or move at slow speeds), but they are a tad soft.

Postal Pimp

torque is my heroin....
Established Member
well the new bilsteins that i put in didnt make the noise right away. so my guess is that these struts just arent designed for that height and stiffer spring rates. so ill do the tociko's maybe the 5-way's. just need some loot i just bought some nitto extreme's ugh the money...:cuss:

Users who are viewing this thread