Need some MACA opinions on brakes

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
So it seems that after 22K miles my rear pads are about done so I am in the market to replace them. While I am doing that I figure I might as well do the fronts. I have also always told myself when I do anything on the brakes I will upgrade to stainless steel lines.

So I am looking for some opinions on brake pads and stainless steel lines from my trusted MACA folks.

I think I am down to EBC red pads or Hawk High Performance pads. I have reads posts on both that praise and trash them. I am looking for something that will reduce the amount of dust over the stockers but also give me a nice firm bite.

I am also deciding between the Russell SS lines and the MM lines. The MM are about $50 more and normally I dont mind spending a bit more for better quality but I dont know much about either.

So are there any opinions on either the EBC or Hawk or the Russell vs MM? Maybe there is some other gear you folks have tried and like better? I am all ears!
:beer:

TRBO VNM

either set of lines should be fine. I haven't installed the MM since they weren't available at the time and most bring over the russell. I think I have hawk rear pads on my car and stockers up front since I haven't had to replace them yet. I will probably go with a set of hawks for the front when the time comes.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I have the same setup as Jason. Hawks in the rear, Motorcraft in the front. But, I actually replaced the front with the same OEM pad. The stockers are actually pretty darn good.

SYMach1

IRS FTW!
Established Member
Id stay with the OEM pads, I just put new OEM front rotors and OEM pads on the front of mine, no noise and no dusting here

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Other than ceramic, I doubt you'll find many pads with good bite and low dust. I had hawk hps pads on the front of my GT and something generic in the rear. That setup seemed to work very well.

As for lines, any of them should be fine. Check out vividracing.com for Agency Power lines that are pretty cheap and look to be good quality.

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
Thanks for the feedback so far. The OEM pads I have found @ Tousley are going to be more than the Hawk or EBC! So that is why I was steering away from the stock ones.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Thanks for the feedback so far. The OEM pads I have found @ Tousley are going to be more than the Hawk or EBC! So that is why I was steering away from the stock ones.
There's actually two kinds of OEM Ford pads. Although I believe they are exactly the same, one is Motorcraft and I think the other is Autolite or something. Steve at Tousely turned me on to the "cheaper but equal" one of the two.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I have ceramic pads and hate them. They don't dust at all, but they have really lousy bite.

I have the MM lines on my car, and they are nice. I usually buy MM stuff because I've had very good luck with them, but I'm sure the other lines are fine. I'd save your money and get the other lines...unless you are hung up on getting MM stuff. The only reason I got them was because they came as part of a kit I got when I was upgrading the brakes on my fox.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have used the Goodridge and Russel stainless lines. Both worked fine.

As far as pads. I have a set of HPS rears as well as a set of HP+fronts, brand new, that I am willing to sell. I bought a bunch of them, as well as a couple sets of EBC yellows, for the road course, but my driving ability has surpassed these pads for track use. PM me if you're interested. I also have some unopened bottles of Wilwood high temp brake fluid that I can throw in a couple bottles of. These pads and brake fluid will give you ultimate street braking.

SYMach1

IRS FTW!
Established Member
There is OE pads, then a step down is Motorcraft pads which are good but, about half the cost of the OE pads

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
Thanks fellas. I will get in contact with Steve @ Tousley and find out the scoop on the Motorcraft pads.

Users who are viewing this thread