Need some info

fasvtcontour00

Established Member
Hey guys, new to this section of the board...just sold my svt contour about two weeks ago (section I used to hang out in), but now I have a 97 Cobra (pacific green coupe) which is completely stock, and when I say completely I mean COMPLETELY..only thing I've done is put in some bosch platnium fours and some other minor appearance mods (i.e. bumper insert, clear corner, and cobra grille insert)
But getting to my questions, I'm thinking of putting some cutouts on the car until I can get a Magnapack catback for christmas (which I will still keep the cutouts on afterwards) What diameter cutout should I buy for my stock exhaust? I know the exits are 2.75" and I'm guessing the exhaust is 2.5" in diameter before the mufflers. I have a diameter caliper to measure this but I haven't had any time to get underneath the car yet to measure...just thought I would ask you guys first, might be easier....Also, do you guys suggest cutting out the last set of cats when I install these cutouts, will it be too loud and obnoxious (i.e. backfiring) or do you think I'll be all right? Those are just a few of many questions I'll probably be asking, but thanks in advance and look forward to hearing your responses. :thumbsup: :shrug:

fasvtcontour00

Established Member
what it really comes down to though, is I need that catback BADLY, I can't wait for santie claus to come!!
BTW: I need to update my signature, does anyone know of someone who can help me with a slick looking sig with photoshop?

fasvtcontour00

Established Member
MTShambles said:
I coulda sworn my magnaflows are a 3" tip....

Time to go out and measure.
You might wanna read my post again, I don't HAVE magnaflows, I'm gettin' em...my stock exhaust tips were measured to be 2.75" :bored:

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
Any particular reason you're going with cutouts? Only reason I ask is, my friend got some, they sounded like crap, and he lost a dyno proven 40 rwtq.

Welcome aboard though!

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
The mufflers are 2.5 in and 2.5 out. Only the tips are bigger on the magnaflow catbacks. IMO Magnapacks sound like ass if you plan on getting an O/R pipe. If you get a high flow catted midpipe or keep the stocker in there, then they are alright. Be sure to shop around because Magnaflow prices on their catbacks vary up to $100 from place to place. Ask Blk98Cobra to lead you in the right direction on where to order from. I got raped on my pricing!

97cobraheaven

Established Member
dont get cutouts, the only place to put them is right under yours ass and it vibrates the shit out of your car! it is loud as all hell, but it loses that classic rumble that we are all familiar with and that everyone is jealous of! dont do it, i hated mine.

fasvtcontour00

Established Member
Thanks for the info. doubletrouble and cobraheaven...I don't think I get the cutouts, I think I'll save for some 4.30's instead...Also, I've only seen one price for the Magnaflow catbacks on several different sites, $460..I hope this is not the cheapest I can get them for...and thanks again for the productive resposes :rockon:

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
you can get a magnaflow for about 350 shipped. they come with 3.5" tips. My car rumbles very nice. The magaflow sound is the greatest. BTW. if you want it to sound nice for now, just cut out the mufflers and keep all the cats in their. we did it on my buddy's 00 GT and it sounded raw. you can have a muffler shop do it for about 50 bucks. we did it ourselves at the shop where I work. took about 20 mins to cut out the mufflers and weld up 2 new pecies of 2.25" exhaust tubing. bery cheap mod that frees up some horsepower. The car will be loud, but not obnoxious.

fasvtcontour00

Established Member
Junk? The only thing better would be iridium and I've had em before and don't feel they're worth the money...I'd rather buy cheaper platniums and change them more often than buy $12 iridium plugs.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Whats up Ron. Copper plugs are your friend. Autolite 764's at walmart for about $1 a piece. Copper won't last as long but they are better performance plugs.

Definitely don't get cutouts. You lose power and they are obnoxious as hell.

You can post some pics in the One Hour Photo forum and someone will make you a nice sig pic.

Glad to see you decided to go 4.30's:thumbsup:

Oh, and the stock exhaust is 2.25". Tailpipes are larger than the rest of the exhaust.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Platinum 4s, as in 4 ground electrodes?

If so, basicly 3 are usless, the spark will ground to the one closest to the center electrode. All that money for nothing. Just as bad as splitfires.

As said before, copper is your friend. Autolites 764s

fasvtcontour00

Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Whats up Ron. Copper plugs are your friend. Autolite 764's at walmart for about $1 a piece. Copper won't last as long but they are better performance plugs.

Definitely don't get cutouts. You lose power and they are obnoxious as hell.

You can post some pics in the One Hour Photo forum and someone will make you a nice sig pic.

Glad to see you decided to go 4.30's:thumbsup:

Oh, and the stock exhaust is 2.25". Tailpipes are larger than the rest of the exhaust.
FINALLY, someone answers all my questions...thank you Josh, wanna go to the track on Friday night...bunch a guys from Lex. are going, I'm prolly not gonna run just watch and shoot the shit...you and you're girl oughta come with me and my girl, if not no biggie...but thanks for the answers buddy, guess I shoulda just pm'ed you to begin with...ok this thread can die now. :-D :) :rockon:

96cobrakid

Established Member
just wait till you can get your catback. sounds like your going with a striaght through muffler, so get an x-pipe...... you can pick up a o/r x for a little over 100.00. Just buy the x you want for now and then do the catback at xmas. don't waste your time cutting up your stock hpipe, just spend a few bucks a new midpipe

CY98Cobra

Established Member
fasvtcontour00 said:
FINALLY, someone answers all my questions...thank you Josh, wanna go to the track on Friday night...bunch a guys from Lex. are going, I'm prolly not gonna run just watch and shoot the shit...you and you're girl oughta come with me and my girl, if not no biggie...but thanks for the answers buddy, guess I shoulda just pm'ed you to begin with...ok this thread can die now. :-D :) :rockon:

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it or not. I'll talk to Kristin and let you know.

I'm going to be working on the Cobra Sat. afternoon, feel free to stop by the shop if you want. I think you've been there before when you had the Contour.

Users who are viewing this thread