Need some help with an HID conversion

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Installed projectors using all Morimoto gear with Morimoto Motobox harness. Installed it exactly as instructed. When the car is only on battery only one works at a time or one is flickering and clicking terribly with a loud whining sound. When I start the car up they both work but in under 5 minutes the big moto box relay has literally fried and started smoking twice. Anybody have any idea what or where the hell I can check? I’ll even throw a troubleshooting bounty in. If you find the problem I’ll venmo you 20 bucks. Grounds are all verified. Battery voltage is verified. Everything connected where it should be. 03 Cobra. Help a brother out.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member

Attachments

• FL Wiring Driver.jpg
    FL Wiring Driver.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 64

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
You have to switch the ground and low beam wires in the 9007 harness that comes with the Morimoto relay. Ive had to do it on every 9007 Ford car Ive retrofitted. Thats the blue and white wires.

Also, Ive had bad luck with the Morimoto relay, they seem to only last a few years then it wont want to fire the ballast on the longer section of wire.

EDITED TO CORRECT WIRE COLORS.

Last edited:

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
You have to switch the high and low beam wires in the 9007 harness that comes with the Morimoto relay. Ive had to do it on every 9007 Ford car Ive retrofitted. Thats the blue and brown wires.

Also, Ive had bad luck with the Morimoto relay, they seem to only last a few years then it wont want to fire the ballast on the longer section of wire.

No. Way.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
@98 svt @offroadkarter @2000GTSTANG

I'm a man of my word. Have the box on the way and will be here tomorrow. Will reverse pins. If the gripe is resolved all 3 of you will be getting 20. Please PM Venmo at your convenience. This has been a bigtime headache.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member

It could just be me but it did happen to both of my cars and coincidentally within like a month apart. The retrofit source did warranty one of them. Just sucked to have to turn my lights on, then un-plug and plug-in the relay harness to get both lights to work properly, especially in the middle of winter.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Also, I listed the wrong wires to swap. The high beam wire is okay which is the brown wire. You have to swap the white and blue. Its been a year or so since Ive had to do it...

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
You have to switch the ground and low beam wires in the 9007 harness that comes with the Morimoto relay. Ive had to do it on every 9007 Ford car Ive retrofitted. Thats the blue and white wires.

EDITED TO CORRECT WIRE COLORS.

I've certainly had my fair share of issues with the harnesses, the old "ice cube relays" weren't water tight and would get corroded inside. The newer harness with the metal box is okay so long as you don't mount that box upside down or it'll fill with water (speaking from experience).

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Also, I listed the wrong wires to swap. The high beam wire is okay which is the brown wire. You have to swap the white and blue. Its been a year or so since Ive had to do it...

So the blue connector is the one from Morimoto. I have to swap the ones on the blue connector correct? Just want to make sure I have it right. @2000GTSTANG

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Guy so what the hell is with the smoking relay then. I don't get it. Not that much current even draws there.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
So the blue connector is the one from Morimoto. I have to swap the ones on the blue connector correct? Just want to make sure I have it right. @2000GTSTANG

Yes on the blue connector. You just need to use a really small flat head to depress the locking tab on the terminal and it will pull out from the back.

The connector is wired for 9004 now and needs to be switched to 9007. The wire colors below won't match yours so don't worry about that.

th?q=9007%20bulb%20wiring%20diagram.jpg

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Guy so what the hell is with the smoking relay then. I don't get it. Not that much current even draws there.

I'm not entirely sure about that, lets start with the obvious and work from there. If TRS sent you a defective harness then we can rule out miswired signal wires.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
I'm not entirely sure about that, lets start with the obvious and work from there. If TRS sent you a defective harness then we can rule out miswired signal wires.

I think the harness is ok despite the miswired connector. There is nothing else on the installation side that can be corrected. Ill plug the new relay in tomorrow and see if the switched pins fix the problem. Then I might finally be able to match my projector fogs. Siiigghhhhh

Users who are viewing this thread