Need some help on this issue!

BenD

Established Member
After the Maximum's K-Member install and Flaming River's Steering shaft I have about 1 to 1-1/2 inch free play in the steering wheel that's UNACCEPTABLE. The shop says it's the result of tightening everything up, i.e., eliminating all the rubber bushings and the rag joint in the stock steering shaft.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If it takes a more precise Rack & Pinion steering sector with a 15:1 Ratio, I don't think anyone makes one for our cars. I need some help and or suggestions on this issue.

Last edited:

BenD

Established Member
Neither!

dougwg said:
so your steering is too tight? or too lose?

Appreciate the feedback! There's no problem with the steering, since the change to the K-Member and Flaming's precision steering shaft it left me with 1 to 1-1/2 inches free play in the wheel. This is driving me crazy. There was no slop before in the stock setup and there shound be even less now...unless the tightness of everything has showed the sloppiness in the production rack and pinion. Does that make since? If so, how and where do I find a precision steering rack.?

Ben

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Do you mean the steering wheel turns that far before anything else moves? If so, just start following the movement throughout the steering system and see where you are getting the play. If it's in the rack, I would call Flaming River and have them warranty it. That definitely is too much IMO. They're statement it's because everything it tightened up makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. However, did you go from power steering to manual? That will make a difference.

BenD

Established Member
No

FireRed04Vert said:
Do you mean the steering wheel turns that far before anything else moves? If so, just start following the movement throughout the steering system and see where you are getting the play. If it's in the rack, I would call Flaming River and have them warranty it. That definitely is too much IMO. They're statement it's because everything it tightened up makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. However, did you go from power steering to manual? That will make a difference.

The rack has not been changed yet, but it will be shortly. I've ordered Flamimg's power unit, complete kit for the '03 Cobra.

What I had done early this week was Maximum's K installed along with their aluminum bushings for the stock rack
and tie rod extensions which are required, along with Flaming's steering shaft. All of this is solid mounted, no rubber bushings anywhere now...end result slop in the steering wheel, about 1" to 1-1'2".

According to the the shop (RMCR) after investigation, the residual slop or play as it were is definitely in the rack. Based on the strength of that I ordered Flaming's complete power rack and pinion for the '03 Cobra. If this doesn't fix the problem, then I don't know what the hell to do and spent $600 bucks plus installation cost for nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread