Need some help finding turbo cams

yellow03vert

Established Member
I bought Grey03cobra Hellion cobra a couple months ago and just got around to having the it retuned and the seals replaced on the turbo because it was smoking. When they dynoed it the numbers were low 555 hp at 16 lbs. I had Sgs performance check the entire car out compression test, leak down, ect. and everything checked out great. The only thing we can think of is when the bottom end was built the builder did not put the cams in correctly, so if I have to have them fixed I want to put in something better than stock. I know most people stay stock but if I am going to pay to have everything pulled apart I want to make the most of it. I have done alot of searching but I have not found much on cams besides stay stock or Ford GT cams. I was thinking of going with the Leathal/Coastal ones but I can not find any info on them. Sorry for the long post but I could use a little advice. Thanks

candyroush

Established Member
stock cams work well and are cheap thats why people say stick with them. But if you are set on an aftermarket cams mmr sells some nice turbo cams, or you could have some custom ones ground. I dont know much about the coastal ones.

I would say do a search on here, there should be a good amount of information about turbo cams.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

juiced46 posted up about some comp cams. no specs or anything, but he had a friend/customer who used them and had great results.

yellow03vert

Established Member
I have been searching both forums, I just want to get my car to where it should be so I can enjoy it. Anybody else have any suggestions?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Call Modular Performance. John can set you up with a good set of Turbo cams that will make a ton of power for sure. Basically the same cams a car that I did some work on runs and he makes a shit ton of power with them.

yellow03vert

Established Member
Thanks, I will give them a call. I want to make sure that the cams are my problem I do not know what else it could be.

76mmsaleen

Established Member
well i have been told by a freind of mine that works at dallas mustang that the 01 intake cams and the 03 exhaust cams are the way to go..he makes over 1000 rwhp throught an auto, with them. but i think you have a diff. problem. i don't think it has anything to do with your cams, but i could be wrong..

yellow03vert

Established Member
The power is coming on a little late from what I have seen from other hellion cars. I will post my dyno graph tomorrow I have no idea what else it could be besides the cams. I have had everything on the car checked and everything was good and the turbo was just rebuilt. I also had it dyno tuned by a very reputable tuner so I am running out of ideas. I am getting ready to do a complete fuel system and turn up the boost and see what happens in the next couple weeks.

yellow03vert

Established Member
I have a KB BAP and 60 lb inectors and a Mafia with the stock mass air meter in a blow thru set up. When they dynoed it I still had alot of room before I would have been maxed out probably 650 rwhp, I only made 537hp 550tq on a dynojet. I do not know if it is my cams but it is not making what is should be I have the boost controller set to 16 maybe I am losing boost up top because that is what the graph looks like.

yellow03vert

Established Member
Here is the dyno graph.http://
dynograph.gif

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
What transmission is in the car? The a/f also looks a little too lean. It could also be weak valve springs seeing how the hp drops and then goes back up.

yellow03vert

Established Member
The transmission is stock with a spec stage 3+. I believe the a/f was read from the tail pipe so it is about a .5 point richer my wideband only goes to about 11.5:1. I think it is something simple but I can not figure out why the power is not there the car runs really well.

yellow03vert

Established Member
How would I be able to check the springs without pulling the motor? If I have to pull it I would want to put some better cams and springs while I am there. I want to check my wastegate and BOV and make sure I am not losing boost up top. Most of this turbo stuff is new to me so I am checking everything I can think of. Thanks for the help.

yellow03vert

Established Member
Yea, I did alot of research before I bought the car since I knew who had it before. I fixed the turbo and stalling issue but I can not figure out where the power is. I noticed he was having problems with two spring in the wastegate at one point then he took one out, I am wondering if the wastegate did not get damaged when it had two springs? They said they logged boost but I did not see it on the graph and it is the most likely cause or the springs like you suggested since they motor has already had a compression test.

yellow03vert

Established Member
Anybody have any other ideas of what could be wrong? Would the valve springs being weak be a 75 to 100 horsepower loss? I would think I should be around 625hp on 16 lbs maybe I am expecting too much.

76mmsaleen

Established Member
i agree with it being the valve springs also. i need valve springs in my car also...look at my pump gas tune on my dyno graph. it looks like yours when it starts droping off at higher rpms..

mydynograpg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread