Need some advice, want to sell my cobra on ebay

Blk 02

Established Member
I was hopping to get some help from anyone that has sold or bought a car on ebay. I have an 03 cobra that I have had for 2 years now, never been pullied or sprayed with 8,700 miles. Lets face it I really dont drive it and have my eye on a project that I would be able to start with out a car payment. I know this isn't an add for the car but figured somone would ask why i'm selling. Anyways I'm looking for the ins and out of listing on ebay. Any tips that you would care to share from either side. Its a flat rate for selling on ebay right? 40 to list 40 if sold right? How did you handle the shipping? You know stuff like that. I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks
Graham

BlackSabbath

Established Member
I saw mine listed on EBay but it did not sell because the owner had the reserve set too high. He relisted it and still kept the reserve pretty high, so I contacted him after it ended and asked if he would be willing to deal with me on the price. It was bone stock with 3,500 miles.

I drove about two hours to see the car and it was exactly as described so I bought it.

You can make the transaction much smoother if you have a clean title in hand. If the car does have a lien on it, the lien will need to be satisfied before the title can be transferred. Also, be very careful when accepting payment for the vehicle. There are many scams where the owner has accepted what appeared to be a valid bank check and transferred ownership only to find out later that the check did not clear. If you search the net or speak to someone at your local bank they will walk you through how to make sure the funds clear before releasing the title.

Oxford Snake

Established Member
I would set it up as an auction type sale. The lower the starting price the more interest, just ensure you put a RESERVE. Shipping is up to you just make your intentions clear (Like buyer is responsible for pickup/shipping charges).

I've had some good success with ebay.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
gmynko said:
set your reserve around 27-28K, you should get lots of responses.
That reserve would too high IMO. I doubt he'll get many bites. I realize it is totally stock and has low miles, but unless it were a convertible many lookers will move to something more in line with the average. JMO.

Like any auction, the seller has to decide (A) what a fair price would be, and (B) what he would consider as a lower bid. Oh, and how soon he needs to sell. Then set the reserve accordingly. If the seller is expecting to get a higher bid he may have to resolve to list it repeatedly over a period of time until someone is willing to pay what he wants.

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
CobraBob said:
That reserve would too high IMO. I doubt he'll get many bites. I realize it is totally stock and has low miles, but unless it were a convertible many lookers will move to something more in line with the average. JMO.

Like any auction, the seller has to decide (A) what a fair price would be, and (B) what he would consider as a lower bid. Oh, and how soon he needs to sell. Then set the reserve accordingly. If the seller is expecting to get a higher bid he may have to resolve to list it repeatedly over a period of time until someone is willing to pay what he wants.

Your right about that being high - but if he leaves a contact # he can sell it for less and negotiate with potential buyers. When I sold my Redfire, I set the reserve too low and sold it to someone only to have my reserve met on the last day at the last minute. He doesn't need(nor should he) to disclose the reserve. Keep that secret.

I got a great response from e-bay. I had the car in the Trader for 5 months and no success.

Blk 02

Established Member
Hey guys thanks for all of the replies. One other quick question is how difficult does it make it if there is still a lien against the car?
Thanks again
Graham

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
Ebay is very good because you get tons of looks, but it is very expensive to list imo, I listed my 96 impala 3 times before it sold and it was about $60 each time.

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
I sold my cobra on ebay. Matter of fact that was the first item sold on Ebay, way to start a reputation eh?

Anyways the only advice I can give that hasn't been given already is be sure to include lots of pictures. When browsing for car online there's nothing I hate more than seeing no more than one or two small, fuzzy pics. It's not the least bit descriptive of the car frankly it just comes off as shady to me.

Oh and don't post vids of you racing it on the street (thanks to another thread). Not all potential buyers like to see the car being ragged on, as it's not a big selling point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread