Need Serious Advice!!

04cobrafordboiz

High speed Low drag
Established Member
Everytime im at WOT and i start getting around 90-100mph the car just stops pulling!! i hear the supercharger screamin still and my boost guage still at around 12psi at first im thinkn belt slip but i just put a steeda blower tensioner(got it from americanmuscle.com) i thought this would have taken care of that??:nonono::??::nonono:

whats wrong with my car?? any info would really help

2.81 pulley; k&n cai; steeda idler pulley; borla catback; handheld superchips

BUstang

Established Member
what RPM are you at? third gear? non-ported eatons are going to stop dropping off at 5800 or so, maybe your car isn't "stopping" but rather losing power up top?

04cobrafordboiz

High speed Low drag
Established Member
im in 4th gear at 6krpm isntead of letting the engine climb near redline im goin to shift at 6k and see if that helps...??? honestly i dont know what size belt the pulley was already on the car when i bought it.....is there a way to find out and if so which do i need?:poke:

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
HUH?? 4th at 6K and you are at 100MPH??? I am pushing 140 by then.. Also don't run the car passed 6200.. It is useless with a stock eaton

MikeW

Established Member
I say datalog and see what your fuel pressure is doing. Do you have a wideband .. if so does the car go lean. May be best to get a tuner to check it out on teh dyno.

Good luck :beer:

Tims97SVT

Established Member
^^agree 100% still screamin but it aint pulling. I shift at 5800-5900 so I am right back in my power band.

CobraRyan

Banned
The reason your tuner put your limiter to 7k is so you would never accidently hit it because hitting the limiter slows you down and also isnt good for your fuel system. Dont take the eaton past 6250, it makes no sense.

MikeW

Established Member
The reason your tuner put your limiter to 7k is so you would never accidently hit it because hitting the limiter slows you down and also isnt good for your fuel system. Dont take the eaton past 6250, it makes no sense.

Ditto

And like someone else said you will drop right back into your power band. I have my shift light set at 6,200. When I had it set higher my ET's would suffer and the trap would be a tad less. May have been my sucky driving though LOL 6,200 works for me.

chitowncobra

Established Member
it make sense for me and my setup 2.8 blower pulley and 4.10s gears and agressive tune, gives you more room for shifting setting the limiter at 7000 rpms!!:burnout::burnout:

Last edited:

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
My car was doing the same thing. It was the tune, too much timing and no enough fuel. Did about 4 hard pulls with the car when it was like that. couple days later engine started tinking, melted the number 8 piston. Do not put the car into boost until you get it on the dyno and have it checked out. BEWARE OF BAD TUNERS!!!!!

GodStang

Established Member
it make sense for me and my setup 2.8 blower pulley and 4.10s gears and agressive tune, gives you more room for shifting setting the limiter at 7000 rpms!!:burnout::burnout:

If it takes you 1K rpms to shift you got a problem. I got 4.10s I know.

I would take it to a tuner and get it looked at if it is something different then you felt before. If it has always had it then it may just be losing efficiency at higher rpms.

Deftones

Established Member
Do you have a non-slip pulley with a gatorback belt? because the design of the 2 is similar and they will fight each other at high rpm's causing a slip feeling affect. I found this out when I used a gatorback with a Billet Flow non-slip 2.93.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I still would not pull the eaton past 6250. There is no need 2. What does reving to 7k have to do with shifting time? Its not making it more or less. I get the point that you have another 1k before your shifting. But $100 bones says your car will pull harder if you shift at 6k or 6200. your trying to get every lil bit outa your blower but y? Just shift and It will pull right back to 6k.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
My car was doing the same thing. It was the tune, too much timing and no enough fuel. Did about 4 hard pulls with the car when it was like that. couple days later engine started tinking, melted the number 8 piston. Do not put the car into boost until you get it on the dyno and have it checked out. BEWARE OF BAD TUNERS!!!!!

+1 I remember reading something about this a while ago. OP get your car back on a dyno before you need a new engine. Also listen for pinging. You could also pull your plugs and check them for detonation signs.. Any sparkling metallic looking pieces means you have detonation and black dots are signs of lean conditions. Just beware.. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out

Users who are viewing this thread