Need Photos of stock lower pulley cage

Phil'scobra

Established Member
OK, from my last post I stated the pulley was rubbing on the balancer, So last night I pulled my lower pulley cage. While I was removing the bolts I noticed that the cage was backing away from the balancer, before I got the main bolt loose. So either I installed it wrong or I am missing some pieces. So what I need is a few GOOD photos of a stock lower all bolted up. If I can get a photo of the top, and each side that would be great. If you can text them to me that would be great.

828-817-4769

Thanks

cj428mach

Established Member
as far as I know yes. It went on smooth.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but if you did the install then this is something that should be obvious. If it wasn't then it might not be threaded into the crank.

The center of the caged lower is loose and flops when its not attached to the crank snout. I read a little bit of your issue in the other thread, if everything was fine before you removed the lower pulley and now its not its probably the installation. The lowers on these cars are an unusual design if you ask me.

Phil'scobra

Established Member
I did not mention this before but I had removed a Matco 4lbs lower that was on my car for about 4 years, so its been awhile since I removed the old unit. I am going back to a stock unit now that I have installed a 2.9 Whipple. The unit does flop back and forth with the crank snout attached and all other bolts out. I am not sure what I am looking for but when I tighten down the bolts the arms came in contact with the balance. When I loosen the bolts the arms were off the balance.

Phil'scobra

Established Member
ok, did not get a photo but i got a video. The pulley is off, you can see the hub that screws into the balancer move in and out. you can also hear a scrap from the boss end rubbing on the bridge. I dont want to say it was doing this before i got the lower but it was used and i did not check it before it was installed.

hope this works
th_3-25-15%20042.jpg

TRBO VNM

looks like the hub is bent.

I do have a lower here that I think is in good condition, but if I recall the hub and pulley came out separate. I would have to look at it again to see.

hotcobra03

Established Member
OK, from my last post I stated the pulley was rubbing on the balancer, So last night I pulled my lower pulley cage. While I was removing the bolts I noticed that the cage was backing away from the balancer, before I got the main bolt loose. So either I installed it wrong or I am missing some pieces. So what I need is a few GOOD photos of a stock lower all bolted up. If I can get a photo of the top, and each side that would be great. If you can text them to me that would be great.

828-817-4769

Thanks

The cage is all 1 piece with a bearing pressed in it..

the pulley is 1 piece by its self...it will move on the part that turns it.

it will center its self with the belt when engine starts

the tri bar is a all 1 piece..has three posts that turn pulley. And the screws on to main shaft with allen..

allen bolt is all 1 piece..goes through cage bearing to engine crank

Users who are viewing this thread