Need opinions on the 2014+ Dodge Durango

Commbubba19

because racecar....crash
Established Member
Need a third row and the Durango checks all the boxes.

Looking at an AWD R/T. I'll be trading my 5th gen 4Runner which I'm hesitant to do. I get mixed signals on dodge quality. I love the 4Runner but the Durangos third row and standard features plus V8 are all positives.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
As long as gas prices stay low, the Durango is fine.

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
Durangos look great these days.

For my family with two kids in car seats, we needed a bigger SUV. We went with the Ford Expedition. Wonderful room and third row.

And I wanted a V8 (no longer offered in the Expedition) and 4wd. Front wheel drive turned me off from the Explorer.

Please note that I have owned four (4) Explorers. All of which I loved. But front wheel drive in an SUV I just can't do.

I bet a tuned EcoBoost Expedition would MOVE them groceries!

AAG

Established Member
I rented a v6 version back in 2012 while on vacation. It fit 6 adults very well (even the 3rd row) and was imo built quite well. I'm sure the newest one with the 8 speed and updated interior is even better. Cargo space behind the 3rd row was a little small but we made it work.

The only thing I can really knock the Durango for is resale value. I'd look for a slightly used one and save some money. They depreciate pretty fast.

Commbubba19

because racecar....crash
Established Member
Thanks. Just trying to get independent experience. Coming from the 4Runner which has been rock solid, the 4Runner forums of course are lighting my ass on fire.

I read up on the Durango forums and besides a few issues that seemed sporadic (water pump failure and UConnect bugs) nothing stands out.

I know Dodge has horrible resale but that's low on my concerns right now. I also know older pre 2010 Dodge vehicles were pretty bad.

madscotsman

Established Member
Back in 2005 when my son was in a car seat, we decided to go from a PT Cruiser to a Durango SLT cause we wanted 4x4 and a bigger vehicle. I know they are probably a lot better since 10 years ago but we still had to move the passenger seat up to fit a child seat behind it (rear and forward facing) in the Durango, which made it as bad as the PT Cruiser was as far as interior room. The rear opening was NEVER big enough to fit anything "large" I bought thinking it would be able to be hauled (i.e., son's Escalade Powerwheels box). I still ended up always having to take things out of the box or bungee the rear hatch down with a box or materials hanging out. It wasn't the actual opening but the plastic trim inside the vehicle and the low rear headliner that were usually the problem, and made the opening smaller (newer ones appear to have the same "chopped" look as my 2005 did). I had the door pull out of my hand in the wind in a parking lot and it was "sprung". Doors on the 2005 were like 700Lbs according to the dealer and even thought they replaced the hinges, I could always hear air coming in at highway speeds. The third row rear seat was basically plywood thin with some padding and upholstery on it so it could fold flat into the floor (not comfortable for long rides. Like I said, that was 10 years ago but the new ones appear to be similar in size/shape overall.

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
No real experience besides looking at a coworkers new RT Durango. That thing looks amazing inside and out.

Explorer Sport

giphy.gif

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I don't care much for Dodge as their value tanks fast.

Durangos look great these days.

For my family with two kids in car seats, we needed a bigger SUV. We went with the Ford Expedition. Wonderful room and third row.

And I wanted a V8 (no longer offered in the Expedition) and 4wd. Front wheel drive turned me off from the Explorer.

Please note that I have owned four (4) Explorers. All of which I loved. But front wheel drive in an SUV I just can't do.

I bet a tuned EcoBoost Expedition would MOVE them groceries!

The Explorer Sport comes standard with 4wd and it's optional on the other Explorer models.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I wouldn't buy a new one. As already mentioned, they depreciate like crazy as soon as you drive off the lot. Like a boat or camper, used is the only way to buy one.

As far as quality, the newer Dodges are hit and miss. You may get a good one or you may end up with a lemon.

I would really cross shop an Ecoboost Expedition. I'm going to try to spend some time in a one in a couple of weeks.

Commbubba19

because racecar....crash
Established Member
I wouldn't buy a new one. As already mentioned, they depreciate like crazy as soon as you drive off the lot. Like a boat or camper, used is the only way to buy one.

As far as quality, the newer Dodges are hit and miss. You may get a good one or you may end up with a lemon.

I would really cross shop an Ecoboost Expedition. I'm going to try to spend some time in a one in a couple of weeks.

The Expeditions are so huge though. No V8 too.

Commbubba19

because racecar....crash
Established Member
A standard Expedition is an actual fullsize, with a fully boxed frame under it. In today's SUV market it is a tank. Drive one with the 3.5 EB, I don't think you'll be missing a V8.

Being that it's 20" longer than a Durango, it is bigger than I'd prefer. Plus reasonably equipped it's well over 50k. My budget was 45K or preferrably lower.

Is Ford willing to deal on the Expeditions? Without the 201 and 202 packages, it has a lot less features than that are standard on the Durango.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I just bought my wife a 2015 RT and we love it. The OE exhaust system is just aggressive enough for being a soccer-mom mobile. We traded in a 2012 LR4 for it because we started having a lot of repetitive CEL's, and just got sick of it.

1eb3e27c-4925-40ef-bb7f-811a4a2f1409.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread