Need new Car opinions

00 Aggie

Its just a slow vert...
Established Member
I have moved to Colorado and am looking to get a new car/truc/suv to replace my Marauder (ie AWD or 4x4).

I have it narrowed down to:
4.6L Explorer
5.7L Jeep Commander
5.4L F150

I have driven everything, the F150 was awesome, however it was sluggish. I have a Jeep Commander as a rental, even though I hated it at first, I kinda like it. Then I am also considering a Eddie Bauer or a Limited Explorer.

My job takes me in the field (ie off road) sometimes and I need something nice to drive clients etc.

I am keeping my Cobra, so no Evos or STi's (too boy racer).

Thoughts?

:beer:

Tommy98016

Heavy Ass Vert
Established Member
I just picked up a 06 EB Explorer for the wife and it is the best Explorer ever (6th one I have had). They are also offering great deals on them to.

bssmith1220

Established Member
My wife always drives Jeeps(liberty, Grand Cherokee).....they are awesome off road and reliabilty is unmatched in my opinion.

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Chris, Man I didn't even know you left town!! 1 less for the meetings now. I would go with the 5.4L F-150. My mom has the Lariot version and I love the way it drives. Good luck with whatever you choose and with the new location!!

Jason

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
5.4L F150 :thumbsup:

However, if you add a little more to your budget and you find yourself towing/hauling a lot, you might want to consider an F250/350 Diesel. Im not a diesel buff, but I'd imagine either the 7.3 or the new 6.0 would be both as good for the average user would do with it, being the 6.0s more expensive for the most part. Gas mileage with the 5.4 probably won't be too bad, my dad has an 05 F150, 4x4 extended cab XLT/short bed with a 4.6, he gets pretty good gas mileage.

The Cummins diesels in those Dodges seem to have a lot of attention in the street truck's.

The only downside, around here in Maryland, diesel cost more than 93 octane gas right now for the most part.

00 Aggie

Its just a slow vert...
Established Member
Thanks. I don't tow ever, so I dont need a diesel.

I really like a luxury package Fx4, and I went and drove a Hemi Commander.

I also checked out a sweet SRT8, but the dealer wanted over 50k for it. If they could get it around $40k I'd do that.

Jason: it was kinda sudden. I am still commuting back and forth between Houston and Denver, so I may be able to make a couple more Hooters events!

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
My dad has an '04 F150 FX4 with the 5.4L. I love that truck, definitely what I would buy if I needed one. I hear that a programmer can really wake it up with better throttle response and downshifting time and all that. Go to www.fordf150.net and see what those guys say about it.

A nice little 3 inch lift and a whipple will change your mind as well...

00 Aggie

Its just a slow vert...
Established Member
I honestly hate the way lifted trucks look! (I have been in cars too long!) However the whipplie sounds good!

06GTO

Established Member
I personally would not get an explorer friends and I call them exploders. We have had unfortunate experiences with them, working on them and repairing them. If you would consider chevy also the 07 chevy SUVs are a huge leap foward compared to their previous years. The Tahoe or Trailblazer would be solid for a 4x4 vehicle. Though you have already narrowed it down I would pick the F-150 extended cab and get the supercharger upgrade for it. What about the Saleen S331E :poke: though I do not believe it will have 4 wheel drive.

00 Aggie

Its just a slow vert...
Established Member
No Chevys (I get A-Plan and I get something similar on Daimler-Chrysler).

My wife drives an 01 Explorer that we purchased new, and never had any issue with it (thats how it made the short list - plus the 3V 4.6L!)

There are left over 05 Aviators? Where?

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
F-150 hands down....no contest...no game.....

Redfire03

Established Member
5.7 Grand Cherokee Overland! Thats what I would buy. I dont know about how the commander drives, but I know I loved the grand cherokee. It has Quadra Drive II, which is supposed to be great!

Users who are viewing this thread