Need input on a 01 Cobra engine build 600whp street car.

Red97tbird

Established Member
So I promise this isn't another one of those what if's or tire kicking threads lol. I just picked up a whole 01 cobra engine with a spun rod bearing. I had originally planned to just Build my 2v motor with Trick flow heads. But for 500 bucks for a whole engine and I always wanted a Cobra motor , hear I am. I currently have a 97 Thunderbird with a 04 explorer motor , built intake, acufab single blade TB, vortech supercharger, meth injection, built 4r70w , 9.5 converter with 3500 stall, 8.8 with 3.73's and track lock. Best time is 7.6@93mph in the 1/8th. So not a slow car. It's a play car I drive on the street and take to the track every so often. I would like to get to 600whp and still drive it to the beach if I want or an hour to the tack and back home. So the real point of this thread is what all do I need to do to this motor to get to my goal or at least close to it. What I mean by that is do I need ported and polished heads and cams or just freshen up the stock ones and toss boost at them(I'll be bolting on the Vortech S trim, then going to a Ti trim later)? I know I'll need to build the bottom, already have manley h beam rods with 2000 arp rod bolts, JE pistons and forged crank. I know you have to spend money to go fast , just trying to get a feel for how much money I need to toss at heads and cams to get good performance. Also where is every one sending their heads to get work done? Fox Lake, MHS, livernois, MMR? Had this all planed out for my 2v build lol Now I'm full of questions.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1511388216588.jpg
    FB_IMG_1511388216588.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 180
  • FB_IMG_1511532986155.jpg
    FB_IMG_1511532986155.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20171122_163131small.jpg
    IMG_20171122_163131small.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 141

01yellercobra

Established Member
Freshen the heads up with a good valve job and new seals. Stock heads are more than capable of making over 600. You can even use stock cams. I'd keep the compression at 9.5 if you plan to run pump gas. Throw some boost at it and have fun.

I daily drove my 01 for years when it was around the 600 mark. It was a fun daily.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Red97tbird

Established Member
I had planed on running 9.5:1 compression. Piston's I have now are 18cc dished for the 2v I have now. Going to have to sell those off to pick up some for the 4v. So wife is giving me crap lol She says it's not a real car unless it has some loop to it. Told her how much cam's are as she said that's fine :) . Love a woman that likes cars lol. Going to upgrade the fuel system also , my car has a factory return fuel system. 42 pound injectors at the moment and a 255 pump. Thinking it might be easier to put a fuel cell in , then trying to get something that works with my Thunderbird fuel tank. Just trying to get everything planed out. More then likely I'll have ProDyno tune it once it's all done. My current setup is street tuned.

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
Where in NC are you?? As others have mentioned, freshen up the stock heads and the stock cams are fine (I know your wife said "get the cams") but as you've noticed... NOT cheap.... I debated about doing cams in mine, but spent the money on a return fuel system.

Nick01cobra

Established Member
If you want call me. My name is Nicholas and I live in Simi Valley. I just had my engine built and I love it. I would love to give my input if you would be interested. My phone number is (805)304-3318. Or email me at [email protected]. I also do alot of stuff automotive wise myself. My shop is called Eaton Performance.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Red97tbird

Established Member
I'm in Winston-Salem , NC. Any one know a good machine shop near me? Also what's a freshen up on a set of 4v heads usually run? Thanks

01yellercobra

Established Member
Cams sound cool, but they can be a pain to tune. Plus the lope is usually from a tight LSA which is bad for boost. And depending on what kind of forced induction you're going with it can mess with IAT's.

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm in Winston-Salem , NC. Any one know a good machine shop near me? Also what's a freshen up on a set of 4v heads usually run? Thanks

I paid $400 for the head work. I don't know any shops in that area.. Sorry

Red97tbird

Established Member
400 bucks, I like that lol. Had planned on spending around 4k with porting , cams , ss valves , and springs. I'm liking this project more and more. I can just spend that money on a better fuel system. Also headers as they are 900 bucks for my car for mid length. Sucks to be different some times. Still looking for a machine shop been calling around with no luck so far.

Blown38

Established Member
Look into doing a surge tank for your fueling. That way you can keep your trunk space for your travels. And you can stick with just freshening the heads like everyone says. I have a good machinist up here by me if you are interested in going that far.

Save your money on the cams and put it into a fuel system for e85 if you have it near by.

coposrv

Established Member
My heads were fully gone through for 1250$ I think. Guides seats valve seals and a few other things I can't remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coposrv

Established Member
The labor involved in this work takes time ^^

For sure. My machinist explained all the ins and outs with what he had to do. He doesn't do a ton of modular work and doesn't really like doing it but my stuff is Mikey mouse compared to the big dollar motors that go through his shop. He is a good dude and I trust him implicitly. I felt it was a fair price for all the work done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Cams sound cool, but they can be a pain to tune. Plus the lope is usually from a tight LSA which is bad for boost. And depending on what kind of forced induction you're going with it can mess with IAT's.

That is a blanket statement and not entirely accurate. However, in terms of a centri a large overlap (the lope) is typically a bad combo with a blower. Turbo cars can however use overlap if their entire combo is setup correctly.

Cams will net much more power over head port work. If you had planned the money on the heads save it. Valve job, open up the ID and clean up the flashing behind the valve. Cams will cost 1200-1300 for a 4v and timing parts can range from grinding your own keyways to spending 1-2k on adjustable gears/billet timing arms/pivot upgrades/upgraded secondary chains and such.

Cams can get you 40-60rwhp (somtimes more) with the combo and let you run less boost. Ported heads may get you 20 and cost more.

Lastly, if on E85 run 10.5:1 or higher compression. If not you are leaving power and performance off boost on the table.

Red97tbird

Established Member
What pistons does every one recommend for the 4v ? Ordering some next week and wanted to know who most people go with ? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread